another fairbanks question

maggie mac

As Budget Queen has said on this site many times, you go through lots of changes of mind while planning what to do on a tour. What to do when, what are priorities.

Fairbanks is our last stop on a HAL cruisetour. 9/5 is our only full day there. HAL has us scheduled for the Riverboat Discovery and the Gold Dredge tours.

We have never wanted to do the gold dredge thing. Originally my thought was to do the riverboat and then cut out to do something on our own. Now I think I will be tired and not in the mood for being herded around. I considered various other things to do but had to eliminate some because tours, museums, etc. shut down after Labor Day and our day is the day after that. So no Large Animal Research Center or Pioneer Park.

My latest idea is to go someplace for a great breakfast, then to UAF's Museum of the North (which was always #1 on my list). Then back downtown for a walking tour. Something combining some of the historic 2-hour walking tour with things like the Dog Mushing Museum, Ice Museum, galleries, shops. Then a nice early (our flight leaves at 6:45am the next morning) dinner, possibly at Gambardella's or the Thai House.

The place I've seen most recommended for breakfast is Sourdough Sam's. What would be the best way to get there from the Westmark? Then how to get the museum from there? Is it possible to walk it? I know the Fairbanks shuttle goes from the museum to downtown so getting back will not be a problem. But is it possible to use the river shuttle in either direction? I just like the idea of a water taxi. And last, if getting to Sam's is too much of a problem, is there a good place for breakfast close to the hotel?

We leave in less than 3 weeks. With the help of this board, we've scheduled some great excursions. I just want to say thanks so much for everyone's help.

Margaret

As Budget Queen has said on this site many times, you go through lots of changes of mind while planning what to do on a tour. What to do when, what are priorities.

Fairbanks is our last stop on a HAL cruisetour. 9/5 is our only full day there. HAL has us scheduled for the Riverboat Discovery and the Gold Dredge tours.

We have never wanted to do the gold dredge thing. Originally my thought was to do the riverboat and then cut out to do something on our own. Now I think I will be tired and not in the mood for being herded around. I considered various other things to do but had to eliminate some because tours, museums, etc. shut down after Labor Day and our day is the day after that. So no Large Animal Research Center or Pioneer Park.

The place I've seen most recommended for breakfast is Sourdough Sam's. What would be the best way to get there from the Westmark? Then how to get the museum from there? Is it possible to walk it? I know the Fairbanks shuttle goes from the museum to downtown so getting back will not be a problem. But is it possible to use the river shuttle in either direction? I just like the idea of a water taxi. And last, if getting to Sam's is too much of a problem, is there a good place for breakfast close to the hotel?

We leave in less than 3 weeks. With the help of this board, we've scheduled some great excursions. I just want to say thanks so much for everyone's help.

Margaret

Hi Margaret:

I think your best bet is to rent a car for the day, as UAF is most of the way across town from the Westmark.

Directions from the Westmark to Sam's Sourdough:

Drive east down 10th Avenue, going through 3 or 4 lights to Barnett. Barnett is one way, so take a left onto it. Get in the far right hand lane and turn right at the light on to Airport Way (the main road through town). Drive about 3 miles to University Avenue and turn right. Go past the first stop light (Johansen Expy) and over the railroad tracks and Sam's Sourdough is on your right.

Directions From Sam's Sourdough to UAF Museum:

Get back on University Avenue and continue north. Turn left at the traffic light on College Road... This is the entrance to UAF. You'll see the big blue and yellow UAF sign with current temperature there. You are on campus now and you'll see plenty of signs pointing you towards the museum... You cannot get lost!

FYI - I think most of Pioneer Park is planning on staying open through September 9th this year. That's the buzz around town, anyway.

For breakfast downtown you might enjoy going to a very "locals" place called The Diner. It's it's a couple of blocks north of the Cushman Street bridge, next to Garden Island Deli (and liquor store). The Diner isn't the prettiest place in the world, but the food is great, prices are great.

For something a little nicer to look at (and smoke free), try the Bakery Restaurant on College Road. Great breakfast.

If you want to eat breakfast close to the hotel I think that your best bet is to use their restaurant.

I'm sorry, but I am not aware of a water taxi in Fairbanks. It's not that we don't have one, it's just that I haven't heard about one or seen one advertised. With the crazy growth we've had the past few years, who knows? There may indeed be a water taxi here!

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any other questions regarding FAI or getting around FAI.

Cheers,

Taters

Sam's Sourdough is within a few blocks of the University. You can easily walk over to the big parking lot a couple of blocks north of College and access the University shuttle bus system which will drop you off at the museum.

Margaret

We just returned last week from a princess cruise and land tour. We ended our trip with 2 nights in Fairbanks. I felt the same way you did about the gold dredge trip and we cancelled it. Got a credit from Princess. We did the riverboat and it was okay. We had reserved a car and picked it up the night we got into town. We went to the Pump House for dinner and then the next a.m. did the riverboat. When we got back the the lodge we got into our car and drove around. I really wanted to go to the North Pole and take a picture in front of a city limits sign with my husband for our Christmas picture. We ended up at the Post Office and the picture turned out great. The sun was shining and it was 78 degrees! The long daylight really changed my internal clock. I was like the eveready bunny. I just wanted to keep going and going and going. Finally was forced to go back to our hotel room at 12:30 a.m. by the group we were with. (and it was still light out) I suggest you get a car and explore.

You need a car for the North Pole, 15 miles from Fairbanks.

Maggie, I strongly suggest you get a rental car, makes way better use of time and can see and do much more. Be certain to get a refund for your tours, you have already paid for these costly tours.

I don't know of any "dog mushing" museum in Fairbanks???

I don't know of any "dog mushing" museum in Fairbanks???

It's on Farmer's Loop Road, but doesn't appear to be open very often anymore (and is pretty sparse compared to the Iditarod center in Wasilla). It used to be a stop for most of my Fairbanks tours, though - then it had a musher or 2, husky-petting and such.

Murray

It's on Farmer's Loop Road, but doesn't appear to be open very often anymore (and is pretty sparse compared to the Iditarod center in Wasilla). It used to be a stop for most of my Fairbanks tours, though - then it had a musher or 2, husky-petting and such.

Murray

Thanks Murray, with all my trips to Fairbanks, I never heard of it. :) Have driven Farmer's Loop many times, never saw it.

Thanks to everyone for all their replies. I didn't really want to rent a car just to get to breakfast and UAF. Especially when we have such an early flight the next morning. However, the one big advantage would be if there were northern lights that night, we could get out of town for a better look.

If we did rent a car, where should we go other than UAF and downtown?

Has anyone done the historic 2-hour walking tour of downtown? It looks like most of the buildings are not open to the public, is this correct?

The original information I found on the Dog Mushing Museum was on virtualtourist and has a date of 2004. However it is in the same building with the Yukon Quest Cache store so I thought it was part of the same space. But there is some conflicting information and some of it may be out of date:

Dog Mushing Museum

410 Cushman Street

Fairbanks, AK99701

Virtualtourist: The DogMushingMuseum is the most comprehensive dog mushing exhibit in the world. It is housed in FairbanksHistoricCity Hall, along with the FairbanksCommunityMuseum, and was organized in 1987, by a group of people interested in the documentation and sharing of the historical importance of mushing. Today mushing (dog sledding) is Alaska's state sport, but in pioneer times it was a vital means of winter transportation. In the museum is a 15-panel display called "The Driving Spirit: A Salute to Our Dog Sled Tradition." There are also actual dog sleds (pictured) and other mushing equipment. One can enjoy an interesting film about mushing and explore the multi-media library which includes back issues of Mushing Magazine, Schlittenhund, Team & Trail and Northern Dog News. I have never owned a dog nor am I particularly fond of them, but I still found the museum absolutely fascinating. Hours of Operation June - August Monday - Saturday: 10 am - 6 pm September - May Tuesday - Saturday: 10 am - 6 pm. Admission is free but donations are appreciated.

Me: In the same building is the Yukon Quest Cache (http://www.shopyukonquest.com/) and the Fairbanks Community Museum; 2 blocks over to Cushman, turn right, 5 blocks; 4/10 mile; F

Website: www.museumsusa.org/data/museums/AK/81394.htm; this website has a similar description but a different address: 250 Cushman St, Courthouse Square, Suite 2B; Phone: (907) 456-6874.

Thanks again to everyone,

Margaret

Thanks Murray, with all my trips to Fairbanks, I never heard of it. :) Have driven Farmer's Loop many times, never saw it.

This is Musher's Hall... I don't believe there are any museum pieces there. We only go there for wedding receptions it seems... Here is a link: http://www.sleddog.org/hall/index.html

BQ - You've driven past it lots of times. It's located right about the half way mark, across from Summit Drive.

Taters

We just returned from a week inland starting in Fairbanks and a week Celebrity cruise SB. Here are my thoughts

- Activities -

We loved the riverboat because it had of history, demostrations on shore, tons of photo ops and a relaxing ride. Well done. Several people we met liked the UAF museum and recommended it to us but we didnt have time nor a car (shuttles were available but took planning). North Pole, AK is a fun stop if you have a rental car (local tour van company charges $15\pp for the 9 mile trip out there and back (stayed at Bridgewater Hotel) but Santa wasnt out front on our trip and other than cool Xmas gift shop items, the "North Pole" theme and North Pole, AK post mark, it wasnt worth the $40-45 for us to go by van. If we had a rental car, I would do it again for our son or for sending another postcard. Mushing museum was very good housed in the old City Hall building but ice museum seemed like another half hearted tourist trap and shhh but you can see photos of many of the sculptures in their lobby. You have probably seen better carvings on the cruise ships

-Food-

-The Diner - as noted, kind of a locals hole in the wall but really good food

-Gambardella outside our hotel has very good Italian food, decent prices but service is very slow. Hotel staff recommended it but noted slow service - they were right.

-Sourdough Sams was good, nice gold miner\wilderness ambience and good food. Odd waiter though talking about his personal life, attitude of customers, tips etc but would return there again.

-Pioneer Park Salmon bake was good but the park seemed to be a half hearted effort to make something of an amusement park, historical point\museum or whatever. It was late July and had the feel it was either opening or closing for the season - some things open, some in mid repair like the paddle wheeler boat has been in restoration for years or decades yet only a little bit of work is done. Seems they should reorganize it, restoke the fire with funds or shut it.

-e

Archived