Qm2 Want To Be Passenger Questions?

JAMESCC

I recently went on my first cruise the Crown Princess 7/11 sailing[yes the one with the list problem]. even though the end was terrifying it was a great time. I have always been facinated by the old time oceanliners and the QM2 is the closest thing today to that. I would love to make the QM2 my second voyage on the sea. I have questions though. Of coarse I hear how gorgeous the ship is but then people tell me its stuffy and that you have to dress in a TUX 24/7. What is the truth on the attire of the ship during the day? I don't mind putting on a nice shirt and pants but not a TUX or suit all day long. Is this just a misconception? I think i may try the 4 day cruise from NY just try the ship out and see what its like. I'm just dying to travel on that beautiful ship. Thanks for the help sincerely JC

I have always been facinated by the old time oceanliners and the QM2 is the closest thing today to that.

There IS another, older ocean liner out there - the QE2.....but possibly an acquired taste....see other threads on the QE2

people tell me its stuffy and that you have to dress in a TUX 24/7. Is this just a misconception?

You have answered your own question. In my experience the snobs are rarely the ones wearing the Tuxes....day wear is 'smart casual'

I think i may try the 4 day cruise from NY just try the ship out and see what its like.

If you really want an ocean liner experience, I'd try a crossing...the short breaks can attract a rather different crowd from the crossings...

Peter

JC, there are a lot of misconceptions about the QM2 and Cunard overall. First, the liner likely appeals to you for the same it does for me - Cunard is one of the survivors from the golden days of transoceanic travel and there is that hope that it captures what little is left of that era. In some regards it does - at least compared to modern cruising - but the reality is that Cunard is more and more a mass market transportation service but always was. Cunard created the public perception of it being a stuffy high-brow affair in its own marketing.

Cunard and the two exisiting Queens does have a fairly high number of formal dining nights and a tux or dark suit is a requirement for men during those evenings all evening long. The QM2 is less formal than the old QE2. Daytime dress is more business or resort casual for the most part - meaning slacks and shirts as daytime activities require comfort. Jeans are frowned upon by a small sect of uppities but I think if one looks smart then it really is not an issue. Jeans and T-shirts are not allowed in the dining room but then they aren't on Carnival either so Cunard is no different from any other line in that regard. Cunard's brochures do not address much about daytime attire other than to say dress for comfort. The dress code is likely higher than most mass market lines only because its not a party line. I would however challenge anyone who says its a stuffy 24/7 experience. Those who say that are usually looking not to dress up and have much of anything formal involved in their cruise experience.

I say if you are interested in trying out the ship then do so as long as you know what you are walking into.

I recently went on my first cruise the Crown Princess 7/11 sailing[yes the one with the list problem]. even though the end was terrifying it was a great time. I have always been facinated by the old time oceanliners and the QM2 is the closest thing today to that. I would love to make the QM2 my second voyage on the sea. I have questions though. Of coarse I hear how gorgeous the ship is but then people tell me its stuffy and that you have to dress in a TUX 24/7. What is the truth on the attire of the ship during the day? I don't mind putting on a nice shirt and pants but not a TUX or suit all day long. Is this just a misconception? I think i may try the 4 day cruise from NY just try the ship out and see what its like. I'm just dying to travel on that beautiful ship. Thanks for the help sincerely JC

Hi JAMESCC

Let me start by saying I'm a great fan of QM2. But, and it's a BIG BUT, QE2 is the "old time oceanliner". QM2 is an liner but a "new time" one (that's very bad english!). If you really want to experience the true liner feel, book QE2 TA (when she does one).

The interiors of QM2 may look like a real 30's liner should look, in the same way a movie set looks real, but beneath all that faux wood she is a very modern ship with balconies and large (many identical) cabins.

QE2, whilst built to be both liner and cruise ship (as was QM2), is one of the few remaining liners we have (someone will tell us of the others left) from a bygone age of small cramped cabins, almost every one different to the next, few balconies (all added after she entered service). Many of the original 1st class cabins aboard are smaller than the cheapest balcony cabins aboard QM2. Some of the Princess grill grade cabins on QE2 are very small indeed.

As I said, I love QM2, and I can fool myself that, by travelling on the biggest liner in the world, I am touching a little bit of history, like a previous generation did when travelling on the Queen Mary or the Normandie, also the biggest in the world when new, but, when aboard, you'll never forget that she is a modern ship.

For the true "old time oceanliner" experience, the creaking, the small funny shaped cabins and corridors, few balconies, real class, start by booking QE2. If what I've said about the cabins and lack of balconies puts you off, then true "old time oceanliners" aren't for you and you'd be better off on QM2, but using your imagination.

And this is from someone who loves the lines and grace of the exterior of QE2 but has serious doubts about the interior.

Whatever you do, QE2 or QM2, enjoy your voyage.

Funny how everyone is trying to sell him on the QE2 instead of the ship he was asking about. However, I agree the true old-time experience is really on the QE2. Still, I think most North Americans are going to have a much easier time trying out the QM2 without having to do a transoceanic trip or fly off to Europe. A four day trip as the OP was quering about might be a good idea. I am glad however that it was mentioned by someone that a crossing and a cruise on the same ship are totally different experiences. More food for thought.

I guess I am lucky in one regards in that I am getting the chance to try out both ships within the next year. Unfortunately, both are cruises and not crossings. Oh well!

Funny how everyone is trying to sell him on the QE2 instead of the ship he was asking about.

I guess I am lucky in one regards in that I am getting the chance to try out both ships within the next year. Unfortunately, both are cruises and not crossings. Oh well!

Bramcruiser

Well, I tried to be fair :) . Had JAMESCC not said "I have always been facinated by the old time oceanliners and the QM2 is the closest thing today to that" I wouldn't have mentioned QE2! But my guess is he'll love QM2 whatever voyage he makes on her.

I also get to travel on both within a year, one crossing this year, and at least one cruise next, maybe more, so I will be looking again for the many differences in the two ships.

Very best wishes

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. I would love to do the a transatlantic crossing but thats very expensive. Arent transatlantic crossings a one way ticket? Meaning its just to cross not to return as a cruise would do? I was thinking of the 4 day cruise for two reasons. If it is stuffy then I will only have to endure 4 days not a whole 7 to 10 days. Also the 4 day voyage I was looking at goes to Halifax Nova Scotia and being obsessed with the Titanic since i was a kid this is the perfect place to go on the QM2. Good reasoning don't you think?

I so hear you JC. With a transatlantic (which I would love to do and probably will some day) one has to find a deal with free return air or shell out the bucks for one way air travel across the ocean which is not cheap.

I agree that a 4 day voyage is probably a good way to test the ship if you have uncertainties because its a lot of money to shell out for a vacation one won't end up enjoying.

As for Halifax? Good choice. I'd pick it.

Bramcruiser

Well, I tried to be fair :) . Had JAMESCC not said "I have always been facinated by the old time oceanliners and the QM2 is the closest thing today to that" I wouldn't have mentioned QE2! But my guess is he'll love QM2 whatever voyage he makes on her.

True. I think you did the right thing by pointing out the reality compared to what was said to avoid confusing the perceptions even further. I look forward to both of my voyages but am looking at each ship differently knowing I can't expect the same from one as from the other which is all one can ask.

Have a great time on your trips.

I think that there is far too much fuss made about the formality of these ships, I have been on both and wear shorts, jeans, joggers, whatever I like during the day (whatever I would wear in a holiday resort of the same temperature) and there has never been a hint of sniffiness from other passengers or crew, young or old.

If you are going to a fabulous restaurant at home you wouldn't go in your jeans and T-shirt or shorts, so it is completely natural to want to wear nice clothes in the evening, the formal nights I find quite annoying really because the ladies can glam up as much as they want and dress to show their individuality and flair, whereas men are expected to look exactly the same as each other, I would rather wear something that cost 5 times as much as a tux and look a bit different personally.

However at the end of the day unless you are royalty or a lawyer most of us have very rare opportunities to donn our penguin suits or even dress up at all in the evenings these days, so it is actually quite a thrill to do something you would otherwise very rarely do.

Unless you are completely against the conformity of being told what to wear, I think you would love either ship and believe me the percentage of pompous twits is so miniscule, you probably won't even notice them, I think they are quite entertaining, I laugh at them, they are generally " all fur coats and no knickers" anyway, the really rich ones don't have anything to prove.

I personally much prefer the QE2 and that is very formal compared to the QM2, but that is ONLY at night, Obviously it will be different on a transatlantic crossing because it will generally be too cold and windy to be running round everywhere in thongs and skimpy shorts.

Mark

PS The thong was a joke, those would definately cause a few rustling newspapers.

Hi Jamescc....I'm sure you'll enjoy the QM2 and won't find her too stuffy. None of us would probably go if we had to wear our formal wear 24/7!!! I love the idea of dressing up but not that often! :eek: Especially if you plan to do the short cruise that you mention it should be much more relaxed. If you do a search on here you'll find several long reviews that cruiserking did from the 5 day 4th of July trip to Halifax...lots of very good info on that itinerary. Check back towards that time period...he did one for each day if I recollect.

Also, if you are looking at the Labor Day trip, there is a very active Roll Call that you might like to join. it's here.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=361456

I'm sure you will get plenty of answers there. Have a great trip and be sure to download my "book" of hints and tips from previous pax for the QM2. You'll find the link to it near the end of the "What's not to be missed..." thread on the main forum page. Cheers, Penny

James,

If you are thinking of booking the labor day cruise in :eek: FOUR WEEKS! :eek: Rest assured that those of us who are already booked on it will take you under our wings. And force you to endure cruel shenanigans like drinks in the Commodore Club, Pub Trivia in the Golden Lion. And so on. We might even let you sit with us at dinner!

But be forwarned. It is tux 24/7- when you are sleeping, as you go for a swim, While enjoying a massage in the spa pool. while taking a shower. Even if you should meet someone to your liking and take that person back to your cabin for a little fun and exploration.. Gotta keep that cumberbund on! <G>

<G>

Welcome aboard. We'd love to have you join us! What a great way to get a taste, and there will be enough experienced cruisers on this one that it won't be vastly different from the "normal" passenger bunch, whatever THAT is! (What, Me NORMAL !?! )

James,

If you are thinking of booking the labor day cruise in :eek: FOUR WEEKS! :eek:Rest assured that those of us who are already booked on it will take you under our wings. And force you to endure cruel shenanigans like drinks in the Commodore Club, Pub Trivia in the Golden Lion. And so on. We might even let you sit with us at dinner!

But be forwarned. It is tux 24/7- when you are sleeping, as you go for a swim, While enjoying a massage in the spa pool. while taking a shower. Even if you should meet someone to your liking and take that person back to your cabin for a little fun and exploration.. Gotta keep that cumberbund on! <G>

<G>

Welcome aboard. We'd love to have you join us! What a great way to get a taste, and there will be enough experienced cruisers on this one that it won't be vastly different from the "normal" passenger bunch, whatever THAT is! (What, Me NORMAL !?! )

Funny post. I would be taking my girlfriend on this trip by the way so no finding someone to take back to the room sorry. I didn't want to turn this into a "how do you dress" on the QM2 thread. I just wanted a good idea of the mood and life on the ship. Its kind of a thought that its stuffy but I wanted the real story. By the way this would be a fall trip so everyone would be wearing pants and long sleeves so that not a big deal at all. I have another QM2 rookie question for the experienced. This ship is not like other cruise ships right. I mean they don't have buffet on this ship right? I mean that does give you an idea of the class of this ship. I just want to see this ship up close so bad I think i may have to go. Plus i have all my money from the Crown Princess cruise burning a whole in my pocket!

Funny post. I would be taking my girlfriend on this trip by the way so no finding someone to take back to the room sorry. I didn't want to turn this into a "how do you dress" on the QM2 thread. I just wanted a good idea of the mood and life on the ship. Its kind of a thought that its stuffy but I wanted the real story. By the way this would be a fall trip so everyone would be wearing pants and long sleeves so that not a big deal at all. I have another QM2 rookie question for the experienced. This ship is not like other cruise ships right. I mean they don't have buffet on this ship right? I mean that does give you an idea of the class of this ship. I just want to see this ship up close so bad I think i may have to go. Plus i have all my money from the Crown Princess cruise burning a whole in my pocket!

There is a Buffet on the ship. Do yourself a favor, and stick with the restaurant though! The buffet is bedlam. The food is okay, but the restaurants are better. The lines can be a pain for the buffet, bt worst is finding a seat. Much the same as every other ship I have ever been on. There is also 24 hour room service, though limited menu out of hours. No midnight grand buffet, but always some sandwiches, finger food, desserts, and pizza late night.

It's not the least bit stuffy, no matter what people here will make you think (for some it is probably wishful thinking!)

Honestly- no climbing wall or ice skating rink. But it has a fabulous library, Great food, marvelous lounges and bars a great crew of folks playing pub trivia- 2 deck has games and puzzles out always. I didn't find one solitary soul on our Panama Trip (12 days) in January) to be stuffy. And if you are talking the labor day (Sept 2) 4 days, it isn't exactly fall yet, and I have had some very hot times in Maine later than that! I don't know if there is another 4 day coming up. But I think you will have fun. The King's Court (buffet) is open for all meals, but at dinner, it becomes sort of sit-down and one (of four) sections beceoms a smal intimate ""display" restaurant, where they cook in front of you- reservations and extra fee, and only about 12 people per night. The four day will have one formal (tux or dark suit) 1 informal (think semi-formal- cocktail dress or pantsuit for ladies, suit for the men) and 2 casual- nice- Like you'd wear to a nice restaurant without being too dressy- open collared shirt, pantsuit or dress for ladies. You can't go wrong dressing nicer, and your girlfriend will love the chance to wear nice clothes, probably. And I am sure she would thrill to see you all spiffied up. You won't look out of place going dressier. Before dinner, it's pretty much regular clothes, though I woudn't take my rattiest clothes on board, but then, who would?

You Must get the self-guided tour which takes you all over the ship to view panels with various points of Cunard's history on varous decks, elevator lobbies, and corridors. I think you willl particularly love that. And the horns! One is from the Queen Mary, the other was fashioned the same. The funnel is majestic looking (And sounding!) QE2 is more the classic liner, but the QM2 is still unique in her own way, with the sleek liner profile, yet the comfprts and space of a modern cruise ship. IMHO, she's the best of both world.

BTW, look back through my posts. No way could anyone think of me as stuffy! Am I the typical passenger? I don't think there is one. Read Maria's posts, too. We met on the January cruise and she nicely deciced I needed to spend my money on another one! she is forcing the SO, Marc and I to go on this Labor Day cruise! (Yeah, I'm really suffering! <G>)

If you have time. go back and read some old poss. You'll find some of us are like whales- Blow-hards! But most of us are friendly and fun-loving!

Karie,

who hopes you will join us, now or later!

I will be on the 4 day cruise departing Sept. 2nd. A call to Cunard and the preliminary documentation that I just received this week have confirmed that there will be 2 formal nights on this cruise. I imagine that the other two will be casual.

Regards, Juan

With a transatlantic (which I would love to do and probably will some day) one has to find a deal with free return air or shell out the bucks for one way air travel across the ocean which is not cheap.

I'd pick it.

The price for Transatlantic Crossings includes a one way Enconomy Class ticket on BA (although they have started offering flights with Continental Airlines).

I did a crossing earlier this year and it was fabulous (we also upgraded to Club World on BA for a very reasonable price). I wore jeans and a t-shirt/polo shirt during the day and no one batted an eyelid! In fact load of others did the same. There were 3 formal nights (tux), 1 informal (lounge suit) and the first and last nights were casual, where I wore chinos and a smartish shirt. Most people did the same and dressed up according to the dress code and it really added to atmosphere and fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip on QM2 no matter which one you would decide to do (I'd love to do the 4 day trip to Halifax myself!). I love her but have never experienced the QE2. It was my first trip a "cruise" ship (she's way more than that!) and I was very impressed, especially by the amount of day time activities.

Cheers.

Eddie

Funny how everyone is trying to sell him on the QE2 instead of the ship he was asking about.

Yes, but the QE2 is the QE2. If you want a travel experience then she's one of the few ships that can still offer it.

No midnight grand buffet

Karie - Are you kidding? A ship without a midnight buffet:confused: I know that they've downgraded the ones on the QE2 but it'd never struck me that they didn't have one at all on the QM2. What do they do instead?

A ship without a midnight buffet:confused: I know that they've downgraded the ones on the QE2 but it'd never struck me that they didn't have one at all on the QM2. What do they do instead?

I was a little surprised that they didn't do this on the QM2 but I would never have been able to partake anyway as I was so stiffed from dinner. They don't have an equiavlent but you can get light meals and snacks in the Kings Court from 11.30 pm to 4.30 am. And one time I had breakfast at 4.30 am after leaving the G32 nightclub. Now that's rock and roll.

Eddie

I just remembered something surrounding dressing up on the QM2 and how it is not stuffy. Folk were doing Karaoke in the Goldern Lion pub in the formal wear! You can't get less stuffy than that!

Eddie

Who has the time for a midnight buffet anyway. We're usually in bed asleep by 10:30 - 11 pm after getting up with the sun, eating breakfast, having lunch or doing tea and eating a second seating dinner. On our last trip we missed much of the evening entertainment in the theatre. Yes, a hopeless morning person here. I'd fall asleep at the buffet table if they had one at midnight.

As for the daytime buffet? Depending on the schedule, we prefer breakfast in the dining room on our previous cruises. We're usually up that early so we never really feel rushed but it may be different on port days. Of course, there's only one on the Labour Day cruise.

Supered, thanks for letting us know the transatlantic comes with return air. That makes some sense. Of course, those with big bucks can always book B2B and return on the same ship.

To our OP, Karie and Maria will take good care of you and your wife. What's money anyway? Just pieces of paper with numbers and pictures of people on it. I say go to Halifax. he he he

I was actually interested in the Sept 2 cruise myself at the start of the year for much the same reason but then I decided why stop at 4 and go for 7 so I'm doing a week long tryout of the ship out of Fort Lauderdale in December. Money? None left now so why worry about it. However, I can just walk right on board and be pampered for a week and it certainly beats long hours at the office.

Thanks guys I'm not worried about the money on the 4 day voyage to Halifax. On a transatlantic crossing though it would be really expensive for a return trip. I am totallt intrigued by the QM2 so I will have to take it somewhere at some point. I want to go down to the Brooklyn NY dock just to see it in port. Can we do that? Just go down to the dock top see it? I know I can't board but I'd be able to get an upclose glimpse of the beauty.

James, the Labor Day cruise might be the perfect opportunity for you to try the QM2. You would certainly be sailing with a great group of Cruise Critic folks. Daytime dress on that cruise will be fairly casual. At night, folks will probably be a little more formal that what you observed on your Crown Princess cruise.

Check with your travel agent or Cunard about the cost of airfare on a transatlantic cruise. Sometimes the one-way airfare is included or is very reasonable.

Follow your dream and cruise on the QM2.

Supered, thanks for letting us know the transatlantic comes with return air. That makes some sense. Of course, those with big bucks can always book B2B and return on the same ship.

Did things change? I've just booked a TA for June 2007 and air was an add-on. Instead we booked one-way Chicago-Paris, via Dublin for $311 on Aer Lingus.

I have been looking at travel agent websites and can't find Cunard cruises. Do they not allow online bookings or do you have to book through them alone? I'

m curious at what the prices would be through an independant travel agency as apposed to booking directly through Cunard. Is it always cheaper through a TA?

I have been looking at travel agent websites and can't find Cunard cruises. Do they not allow online bookings or do you have to book through them alone? I'

m curious at what the prices would be through an independant travel agency as apposed to booking directly through Cunard. Is it always cheaper through a TA?

try cunard.com

Archived