Dining time with kids

cruzincon

I posted this on another forum but thought I might have better luck here...

When I booked our cruise I asked for the early dinner seating since we are taking the kids this time 6 and 4. Now that I start thinking about it I may want to change it to late seating. The kids have already informed us to only expect them to eat in the dining room on formal night, they don't want to sit for nearly 2 hours every night they want to play. Works for me to get a nice dinner with hubby and not fuss over the kids. But what do I do with the kids if we have an early seating. Is camp carnival open during dinner? If I change to late seating could I feed the kids at the buffet around 5 or 6 and send them to camp carnival and then enjoy our dinner? How has anyone else done this? Would appreciate knowing what worked for others.

Thanks,

Connie

Hi Connie - On our cruises, Camp Carnival has served dinner for the kids at the Lido restaurant around 5:45-6:00 every night except the first and last. They can stay at the camp until 10:00 (longer if you sign them up for babysitting). That way, you can check them into camp for dinner and go to the late dinner by yourselves. You will probably need them with you at dinner the first night unless you skip the dining room, since Camp Carnival is open only for registration. We are early diners; we don't do well with dining later, so we sign up for the first seating. Our kids (10 and 6) generally alternate having dinner with us in the dining room and having dinner with Camp Carnival; one of us would take them to the Lido restaurant while the other (plus oldest son - 15) headed for the dining room. The kids have done very well in the dining room; on our last cruise, our waiter really catered to them. (They liked him so much they'd look for him at the Lido grill at lunch during the day when he was stationed there.) Hope this helps!

We had four young grandchildren (and their parents) with us last year on the Triumph. We opted for the 6:15 dinner time. Most nights, except the first and last, I think, the kids could eat with the kid's program staff in the buffet and then go directly to the evening kid's program. They did that a couple of times and got along fine. (They were ages 3, 4, 5 & 5).

The other nights they ate with us, but we had their food brought as soon as possible, then when they were done, one or two of the parents took them up to the kid's program and then came back so we adults could finish our dinner and go to the shows.

I don't think they could have handled the whole two-hour dinner experience very well--having four so close in age who are cousins and used to having lots of boisterous fun together probably would have made it harder than just one or two in this age group. In my experience, one kid=easy, two kids, not bad, 3 or more young kids--let's just say, be prepared!

The late dining wouldn't have worked very well for us--the kids would have been too hungry and overly tired to eat, and behave, by that time and feeding them separately earlier would have been a hassle for the parents and might have meant missing some of the shows.

Since we had 6 adults (eight, counting my sisters) plus a 13-year-old there was always someone who was ready to call it a night, as far as evening entertainment (usually their grandfather and I) and put the kids to bed after the kid's program ended at ten. After a busy and fun day ashore or at sea, they were more than ready to sleep! Then we'd just enjoy a good book on the balcony or the tv turned down low.

Camp Carnival starts at 7:00pm in the evenings. On our last cruise with an almost 11-yr. old and an almost 3-yr old, we were having our desserts around or a little after 7:00pm (start time was 5:45pm). Our kids ate every dinner meal with us. I figure during the day we usually eat the buffets, so I don't feel it's too much to ask for them to sit for a formal meal. We eat in restaurants often at home, so they're used to it. This was the 4th cruise for our little one, and the waiters have always been pretty quick at dinner.

If you change to late seating and drop the kids off at 7:00pm, your dinner might not be over by the time Camp Carnival starts the paid babysitting at 10:00pm. I'm not sure if one person needs to physically be there to make the paid transition or they just start charging you. I would think they need the Sail and Sign card upfront, though.

I would encourage you to bring your kids to dinner with you at the early seating.

Dinner hardly lasts more than an hour and it's a wonderful experience for your family to share. The waiters make it fun for the kids and they put on a little show at the end of each meal that your kids (and you?) will enjoy. Also, it's a great way to work on manners and to have them try new foods that you won't find on the buffet (lobster, fillet, chilled soups, etc.)

I try to spend as much time as a family on our vacations. You'll be back home before you know it with the kids in school/daycare and you and your husband back at work. Live for the moment...it will be gone in an instant!

Thanks for the input. I've decided to keep the early dinner seating and just go with the flow. We are vegetarians so I was a bit concerned about the kids finding something they would like to eat in the dining room. We so eat seafood though and I know my son wouldn't miss lobster night. He's a smart guy.

We've always had early dinner and always ate in the dining room with our kids (now 3 and 7). It's not really that protracted of a process, and the waiters really do cater to the kids. It's a great opportunity to introduce them to new foods. There will be several options each evening. I'm not sure where, but I know I've seen copies of the menus around here somewhere. If you do a search, you should be able to find them. That might help you a little in deciding what to do. A fall-back staple for us (reserved for the days when our youngest is most exhausted) is to ask for a bowl of pasta (preferably short) without the sauce of the day. Then, we mix in a little butter from the table, ask for some parmesan, and voila! Happy camper!

However it works out (and it will!) have a great cruise!

Archived