Nevis Sail Away

Lillykat

Lillykat, we did this excursion in Sept 2004, here's my review

Docked in St. Kitts and had a very short walk to another section of the pier where we boarded the S/V Spirit of St. Kitts. Oh. My. Goodness.

I've seen a lot of catamarans - folks, they are not in the same league as this ship. 78 feet long, and gorgeous. I'll post a photo once uploaded from the camera.

Motored out of the harbour after a brief orientation on how the heads (washrooms) work, then up with the sails. Motorsailed about 30 - 45 minutes to Shipten Bay where we snorkeled for almost an hour. Two ways to exit the ship, they drop the stairs on the front right into the water, or take the elevator as they call it. One step and you're wet over the side. Onboard gear was pretty good, lots to go around (we'd brought our own but I borrowed a mask to rescue mine - dropped it twice in about 20ft of water). Snorkelling probably 7.5 out of 10, lots of fish, not a lot of coral, the crew pointed out a couple of more interesting areas where we saw schools of squid, parrot fish, an eel, and the usual assortment of smaller tropical fish.

(Aruba wreck snorkel was a lot better, another review coming...)

Back on board, and a short motor to Nevis, and the beach. They'll pull the ship right up to the beach, you're maybe waistdeep as you exit the stairs. Water very warm and crystal clear.

Lunch was grilled chicken, grilled hotdogs, a coconut salad (very tasty), a bean salad, mixed pasta salad and there was lots of it. For those of you with sensitive tummies, I checked out the 'kitchen' (I know a few things about grillin') and the chicken is well cooked and comes to the grill on ice. No worries.

The bar is always open, lots of cold Carib beer, local rum and juices. Recommend the Ting, a local grapefruit soda, very refreshing. If some vodka spills in it, not too bad either. Ask about the 'pantyripper'.

A word about the bar. We had a large group travelling together, having a great time, and well, lets say Carlos the bartender made more than a few trips out into the surf for them with bevvies. (Here comes the lecture - skip ahead if you like) Folks, you're in the sun, the surf, having a great time. Please enjoy responsibly. The local rum is very potent, and its easy to over-endulge. I didnt need to see them hosing off a guest who had lost her lunch on the way back.

Lecture over.

The beach at Nevis is fantastic, dark sand, so its a bit hot, there is a lot of shade if you like to stay sheltered. We saw 2 vendors there, nice guys, nice crafts, a polite no thank you, they were on their way. Spend about 2-1/2 hours there then back on board for the motor-sail back to the ship.

We paid $109 pp, and was worth every penny. The crew is great, Capt Todd looks 25 we heard he's 40, and the deck hands/bartenders looked after us very well. The ship is spotless, facilities very clean, lots of room to move around. We were 62 that day, didnt feel like it at all. Highly recommended this excursion.

We were back to the dock in time for about an hour walk around looking at the shops - remember, we did the itinerary in reverse order (thanks Frances) so your timings may be a bit different.

Two big thumbs up for the Nevis sailaway. Happy to answer any specific questions I may have missed.

Pete

That sounds wonderful! We will really look forward to this trip.

I don't think I will be able to drink alcohol by the time we cruise. Did they have bottled water or soft drinks available?

I have another question about the Nevis Sail Away. I want to do the Silver Moon catamaran tour in Barbados this time around, as we did the Jolly Roger the last time and we are travelling with my 15-year-old son this time (we will be in St. Kitts on December 14 and in Barbados two days later on the 16). Are these two excursions so similar that I may want to choose something else in St. Kitts, or are they different enough or fun enough that I will love doing both? It sounds like the Nevis Sail Away goes to an island, whereas the Silver Moon tour you snorkel with turtles right off the boat.

Any advice would be appreciated; thanks!

LillyKat, yes, both soft drinks and bottled water were available on board, and at the beach.

You might like to bring a bottle of water with you from the ship - when we went, they had a stall right at the tender from the ship where you could buy bottles of water to take with you.

Kelsoby, you are correct, the Nevis sailaway takes you to a beach on Nevis, there is a stop to snorkel along the wat as well. Cant say how similar or not is to the Barbados excursion.

LillyKat, yes, both soft drinks and bottled water were available on board, and at the beach.

You might like to bring a bottle of water with you from the ship - when we went, they had a stall right at the tender from the ship where you could buy bottles of water to take with you.

Kelsoby, you are correct, the Nevis sailaway takes you to a beach on Nevis, there is a stop to snorkel along the wat as well. Cant say how similar or not is to the Barbados excursion.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Will be on the Crown in January. Cant decide whether to stay in St. Kitts or do the Sailaway to Nevis. Haven't been to either before. Enjoy nice beaches and snorkeling. How calm is the water on the trip over to Nevis in January? Thanks for your thoughts.

Will be on the Crown in January. Cant decide whether to stay in St. Kitts or do the Sailaway to Nevis. Haven't been to either before. Enjoy nice beaches and snorkeling. How calm is the water on the trip over to Nevis in January? Thanks for your thoughts.

I will be happy to provide a review of the tour when we come back (we will be on this tour and the crown right after Thanksgiving.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Liz,

I was able to get in touch with Kenneth's Dive Center with an email address on the Blue Safaris thread.

Vijai said that they do not get any emails that come thru the website and he apologized for my trouble.

He gave me the info about the snorkeling tour they offer and is getting some additional information for me.

Does Leeward Island Charters do the same type of tour or is it different?

Kathy

• 1 month later...

Archived