Out of shape dancers?

applew

Out of shape Dancers on your cruise?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Out of shape Dancers on your cruise?

I am not sure how you could have taken my comment as coming to your defense . . . it was actually the exact opposite - funny thing is I guess I just didn't put enough sacrasim in to my typing ;) .

Maybe apple confused us or misread your post. Again, let's not jump on the newbie here. Maybe they have been checking out the board and finally came up with a question. Of course, most of us who have voted don't agree with him.

Hi -

Many of these dancers are right out of high school. In the dance community, there are dance competitions all over the country. These competitions are not like beuty pagents but are more of an opportunity for the kids to practice their craft onstage in front of an audience. Most dance schools with competition teams attend any here from 3-5 competitions per year, some of the more serious schools will attend more. At the national competitions, there is usually an audition workshop and then an actual audition. Representatitves from Disney, RCI, Princess, Busch Gardens, etc are all there to offer dancers jobs and scholarships to various colleges. This is one way they recruit dancers. they sign a 6-9 month contract. I have younger kids who are on dance teams for fun and he kids are all shapes and sizes - what I have found interesting is that some of the "larger" kids are the best dancers. Larger is a relative term inthe dance world - larger tends to be a normal shaped body in our society - not overweight but muscular instead of an underdeveloped anorexic body. The good news is that many of these dance schools (the good ones) will not allow a girl to dance in a competition if they have recently expereince a rapid weight loss. the teachers see these kids every day in leotards so they are very in tune with what is happening to these girls bodies.

Many kids will take a job to get their "nnion card" (I am not sure if the cruise ships offer this) and use it as a stepping stone to something else. The cruiselines tend to offer these kids a chance to see the world. My kids attend a dance studio where several dancers have secured summer jobs while in college at Disney as Minne or Cinderella. A couple have gone on to dance on cruises just to see the world or take a break from the NY/LA dance communities (audition process) for a bit. They move on after their contract has expired.

Many of these dancers are right out of high school. . . Many kids will take a job to get their "union card"

I know that this is totally off topic but just for your FYI . . . many of the dancers with Princess are between the ages of 20 and up. Currently our daughter has a couple of dancers on her ship that are 31 and 33, and has worked with some that are older than that. She did do one contract with RCI (but came back to Princess because they are great to work for) and the dancers were a bit younger. She has danced with only a couple of dancer from the US and most of the dancers seem to be from Canada, Australia, England, and Russia. Now some of you might say it's because of the money but these dancers make fairly good money. I think that it's because Americans have a much better chance at getting a job in their field.

Getting a green card to perform/work as a dancer in the US is almost impossible (although I do know of a few who are teaching and performing under the table . . . but that is another topic :D ) One girl I know from Edmonton is now dancing with Celine Dion. She tried for years to get her green card but it took over $100,000 and Celine's people to get it.

On the cruise ships they get to do what they love - perform, great experiences, meet people from all over and see the world while still making money and not paying bills (that doesn't mean they are saving :rolleyes: , another topic between my daughter and I :D ). She has been doing this since she was 18, now 22, and she says this is her last one . . . but I have heard that before. The life on ship isn't always glamorous and behind the scenes things go on that we don't (or wouldn't want to) see but the pros out weigh the cons.

On the cruise ships they get to do what they love - perform, great experiences, meet people from all over and see the world while still making money and not paying bills (that doesn't mean they are saving :rolleyes: , another topic between my daughter and I :D ). She has been doing this since she was 18, now 22, and she says this is her last one . . . but I have heard that before. The life on ship isn't always glamorous and behind the scenes things go on that we don't (or wouldn't want to) see but the pros out weigh the cons.

It's a great experience for her!

Ok guys... attack the newbie. But my momma... my mommah'.. my mommahh... thinks im cool :D

THanks for the great welcome to the forums. And for the third time(maybe second) sorry for the stupid post ;) and I love yah'--always have.

Love Your Cruising Friend,

appleW

I just sailed the Crown (on 7/29) and I thought the dancers were the best part of some rather mediocre production shows. They weren't overweight at all. Also, my wife (who used to dance many moons ago) thought the dancers were very good as well.

Archived