What does "cruise vacation" mean to you?

cruzincurt

I just read a magazine article in which the author talked about the need for vacations. The word "vacation" comes from the Latin "vacare", "to be unoccupied", the same root as vacuum or vacant.

To us, a cruise vacation means:

No cell phone, no newspaper, no CNN, no email, no to-do list and the chance to stay up late and sleep late. And, sit on the deck chair and do absolutely nothing and don't feel guility about it, then sample some food we don't normally eat.

Time to recharge the batteries. The best feeling comes over me when they cast off that last line, inch away from the pier, and we are gone for a week. Wave bye-bye to the cell phone sitting in the car trunk; turned off.

No cell phone, no newspaper, no CNN, no email, no to-do list and the chance to stay up late and sleep late. And, sit on the deck chair and do absolutely nothing and don't feel guility about it, then sample some food we don't normally eat.

Time to recharge the batteries. The best feeling comes over me when they cast off that last line, inch away from the pier, and we are gone for a week. Wave bye-bye to the cell phone sitting in the car trunk; turned off.

That about does it for me too.

Laura

All of the above, plus visiting places I wouldn't ordinarily see on my own for several reasons.

*fear of the unknown

*committing to a certain period of time in an unfamiliar place

*high air fares to get there

*what if I don't like it and we're stuck there for several days?

*etc.

Also, cruise vacation means enjoying entertainment each evening, meeting new friends and visiting new places. What could be better??!!

We just got back from an all-inclusive yesterday. Although it was wonderful, and we would do it again - the cruise is better. You get to visit more than one place and there seems to be more of a comradery (for lack of a better word). You are all in this together instead of each being on your own. I hope that doesn't sound strange, its a little hard to explain.

I love to cruise for a variety of reasons, many of them already mentioned.

We absolutely love being on the ocean, we love the sound of it, the smell of it, the feel of it.

I also hate driving or being a passenger in a car, a road trip for me would be torture. But, with a nice lounger and a vision that is the ocean, listening to the pool band, I love to lay there and be transported to places I haven't visited yet.

I love being catered to, we only serve ourselves at the buffet when the dining room isn't open. I love that someone leave me chocolate and turns down my bed.

relaxing, being waited on and calling room service at any hour. not making the bed and first and formost--not having to cook and do the dishes.

now that the definition of a vacation to me :)

Amen!!! You're preachin' to the choir here!

Also, I like waking up in a different country every day, being pampered (well, ok just someone bringing ME coffee instead of the other way around is pampering enough for me!), not having to be anywhere at any specific time (that's why we like NCL), and NOT having to worry about who has what sports practice this evening and wolfing down our dinner out of a box in order to get there on time!!

:D:D:D

Not HAVING to do anything. I've never been so relaxed on a vacation in my life. I love afternoon time on our balcony with a book and a gin and tonic.

Yeah, what they said, but with vodka and tonic.:D

Jess

Once I step on a ship:

1. All stress is gone. Never think of work or high-maintenance my boss.

2. Usual insomnia disappears. I can sleep 10-12 hours without waking up once.

3. No such thing as a hangover. At home, more than one glass of wine, and the next day I can't lift my head. On the ship, I can enjoy my wine and martinis, and never wake up with a headache.

4. I travel solo. I can walk away from anyone that has a toxic attitude and tries to bring me down. I meet lots of great people from whom I learn a lot about life and travel.

5. If you don't like something at dinner, you can always order something else.

6. Total feeling of safety. As a solo traveller, I have never felt unsafe on a cruiseship. I can walk up to the top deck at 2:00 a.m. to watch the stars and not worry about my safety. (of course, I always use common sense not to get into situations that could become unpleasant)

7. Being totally spoiled by the ship's staff.

I could go on and on ... The only thing that would make cruising "perfect" is if I didn't have to fly to the cruise ports.

Archived