Disembarkation Jewel Miami - Flight Time?

NWS777

We are taking a cruise on the Jewel in December out of Miami. It returns to Miami on Sunday at 6:00 a.m. and supposedly disembarkation begins 2 hours later.

We would like to book a flight that leaves Miami at 11:55 a.m. Assuming we should be at the airport 2 hours in advance, do you think we can make it? I remember reading that you can let them know you have an early flight and be in the first group to leave the ship.

The later flights on that day are more expensive and I would like to get home early if possible to prepare for that dreaded return to work the next day.

I realize there could be possible delays getting to the port but wondering if that happens very often?

Would you risk booking a flight this early? This is our first cruise and I don't know what to expect.

It might be a little tight but you will make it. Early flights are usually those that start around 10:30am which means that your's is actually at the end of the time for "early flights". You might want to think about doing self debarkation (that's where you can walk off the ship yourself with all of your luggage). Do a double check at the desk...what time will I get off if I do self and what time if I do my flight time debark? Do you have transfers through the ship or are you grabbing your own cab? Transfers through the ship are nightmarish (never again for us) however they are very convenient as long as you are not pressed for time. Cabs are readily available in Miami so that shouldn't be a problem for you if you choose to go that route.

Thank you for the reply. We have no problem doing self debarkation and plan on taking a cab. I will check with the desk to see what our best option is. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm a little nervous about booking that early of a flight but think I will do it anyway. I checked cruisecal.com and four other ships arrive in the port that morning. The Jewel arrives an hour earlier than the others so hopefully we can be on our way and beat the masses to the airport. :)

I noticed on both the Jewel last November and the Crown in June, the self debarkation folks were walking off the ship around 7:30am.

With four other ships in port, I'd opt for that to beat the masses, especially for the Miami airport (really busy). I don't believe the other cruise lines offer that -- yet.

The Jewel is fantastic, we're sailing her again this November!

I noticed on both the Jewel last November and the Crown in June, the self debarkation folks were walking off the ship around 7:30am.

With four other ships in port, I'd opt for that to beat the masses, especially for the Miami airport (really busy). I don't believe the other cruise lines offer that -- yet.

RCCL and Carnival both offer self-disembarkation. When I was on an RCCL cruise out of Miami in February, the self-disembark people started getting off the ship around 6:45 am.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and booked the 11:55 a.m. flight and we will do self-disembarkation. Hopefully there will be no major delays and we will make the flight with no problem.

I am so glad I found this thread...I have flights on hold until the weekend that leave Miami Easter Sunday 2007 at 5:00pm when the NCL Pearl arrives back into port at 12:00pm. Could I take an even earlier flight if I disembark myself? I really don't want to leave that late (5:00pm), since the kids have school the next day, so this idea of leaving ourselves ASAP sounds GREAT.

Anyone hear of a 12:00 pm arrival into port? First time I heard of that late time.

Lauren

We are doing the transatlantic in Nov arriving in Miami at 6am on Nov 5th. I know ships normally arrive ahead of time, but...

We had an 11am flight that we felt safe with, but they have changed schedules and now it looks like a 10:10am flight. Should we push our luck with customs,immigration self disembark and taxi? Next decent flight is not till 5pm.... yuck!

Thanks amjdcm but we are on the cruise two weeks before yours.

I hadn't even thought the airline might change the flight time. I hope ours doesn't. Good luck on making the early flight garycarla.

I hadn't even thought the airline might change the flight time. I hope ours doesn't. Good luck on making the early flight garycarla.

Airlines change flights on a regular basis. It is a good idea to go online and check your flight itinerary on a regular basis. You just never know when one might be changed or canceled.

amjdcm.

We are on the 12/17 cruise on the Jewel. This is our first cruise.:) We are going with friends that have cruised before. We are so excited. I also have a 11 :55 flight back to Pittsburgh. Hope for no delays. Want to get back in time for Christmas Eve festivities! Does anyone know if American Airlines does the Easy Fly program from this ship and port? I need to call and ask and keep forgetting.

Cheryl

If you are on the Dec 3 departure, join our roll call on the roll call board. A CC gathering is all set for Monday, Dec 4 at 10:30am in the Star Bar.

I had an amazing experience flying out of Miami in May on a short 2 day inaugural cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. A series of very unusual circumstances occurred that would probably never happen again. I had a 5PM confirmed flight from Miami to Denver. The only other non-stop that day was at 7:55am. My buddy was going to try & standby for an 11 am flight, so we decided to depart the ship as early as possible. There was no baggage to claim (just carryon) and no customs to go through (we were on a cruise-to-nowhere with only travel agents onboard).

We were first in line at the door at 6:50am. At 7:05, we were "released" and my buddy & I made a dash for the taxi line. We got in the taxi, explained the situation to the driver & during morning rush hour trafffic, made it to Miami Intl by about 7:25am. I had printed my boarding pass the night before on the ship. I had checked a bag on the way to Miami, but tried to pack everything into carry-on only. The TSA rep in the security line stopped me & said that there was no way my bags qualified as carry-on. I explained that I was seeing if I could make a very early flight. This is where unusual circumstances took over. She actually asked another rep to take over for her. She led me to the front of United's line & got a United rep to help me. He went to a computer, did some typing & returned with my baggage tag & a standby coupon. He told me to take my bag to xray, explain to the agent that the bag needs to make the next Denver flight (that departed in about 15 mins??) and make a run for the gate, that I was on the standby list. I dropped my bag off & proceeded to the security line again. The TSA agent that helped me before saw me approaching the line & asked my if I was good-to-go. I said I was on standby and she led me to the front of the TSA line. I ran all the way to the gate and when I was within earshot of the gate, I heard my name called. I walked, panting, up to the gate agent & he gave me my boarding pass. I proceeded to walk right on. As the plane took off, I looked at my watch and it was 8:05. In just under an hour I had make it to the plane!! As I caught my breath, I realized that I seemed to have experienced time standing still in that hour!! And my bag made it too!! Don't book a trip that close, but by all means you should try standing by for an earlier flight, even in Miami!!!

Though getting off the ship and into a taxi quick was surely lucky, getting the TSA to help you is almost unheard of. And, in many airports, there are tight rules on checked baggage (vs carryon) which would rule most people out. Though we travel often and can not remember ever missing a flight, we recently showed up for a flight at 28 minutes before flight time. They were still going to let us board, but they would not accept the bags. The TSA scanners were 5 ft away and not busy, but they held fast to the rules.

We lost our first class seats in the process and spent 8 hrs wasted because we did not get up at 4:30am. Oh well.

The helpfulness of both the TSA agent & the United agent were well beyond my expectations. To be honest, when the TSA agent said I had too much carry-on, I thought I was in for a very long day at Miami airport!! And I really did not expect my bag to make it, but the United agent was so helpful--as I mentioned before, I was truly amazed at the whole situation.

Archived