Timing of Travel to Scotland

jbailey

I am hoping some of you who live in Scotland can help me make a decision as to when to travel to Scotland. I want to drive (I did this before in Cornwall in late Sept) at a time of year not too busy with tourists. My choices are to arrive in mid-May or Mid-June. Mid-June would be easier as I teach online and would be done with classes, but how busy will the roads be then? I am a solo, older, well-traveled female and fairly adventurous. I will have to take my laptop if I travel in May, but might be able to leave it at home if I go in June.

Or are most parts of Scotland off the tourist track anyway so that I will not have problems driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

I am not sure if I will combine with with a Transatlantic crossing or not, at this point, depending on when I go. (I've done two QE2 crossings already.)

I want to drive (I did this before in Cornwall in late Sept) at a time of year not too busy with tourists.

Whereabouts are you wanting to be in Scotland? The drive from Southampton isn't too bad as far as Glasgow or Edinburgh (although I don't think that I'd want to do the whole thing in one day and on the wrong side of the road), but from there it becomes very slow. If you're wanting to head up to the far north or the islands then it will take you a full day to get there from the border.

From the point of view of the weather you want to be in Scotland earlier, rather than later, in the summer - June/July is better than August/September. So June would be fine (and you can leave work at home).

I am not sure if I will combine with with a Transatlantic crossing or not, at this point, depending on when I go. (I've done two QE2 crossings already.)

You might be better taking them as two separate trips - that way you could fly into somewhere like Prestwick, in Scotland or Manchester, not Scotland but very much closer than Southampton. Remember that, whilst the UK is a much smaller country than the US and what we'd consider a very long drive would only be a short hop for you, Southampton to the North Coast of Scotland is a couple of days hard driving.

You may want to consider flying from Southampton to Glasgow/Edinburgh cut out 450 miles of driving, and probably cheaper than fuel for the car. Flybe (http://www.flybe.com) and BA (http://www.ba.com) fly to both. Easyjet (http://www.easyjet.com) will be flying from Gatwick by then to Glasgow, may suit return flights if returning via London. Can hire car via all the main companies at the airport plus local ones (e.g Arnold Clark).

Driving depends on where you want to go from Glasgow/Edinburgh Stirling is approx 45 minutes, Perth 2 hours, Dundee, 2 1/2 to 3, Aberdeen and Inverness approx 4 hours. Standard of road to all is good motorway/dual carriageway in the main. If going the "scenic" route A82 from Glasgow to Inverness (via Loch Lomond, The Great Glen, Fort William, Loch Ness) count on 6 hours +. There are however plenty of places to stop enjoy the scenery and stay the night. Avoid mid July and August - busiest period.

You can also arrange your drive by the Whisky Trail (http://www.scotland.com/explore/scottish-whisky-trail/) (http://www.maltwhiskytrail.com/)

P.S. Avoid the midges - unique to scotland (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/midges/))

You may want to consider flying from Southampton to Glasgow/Edinburgh cut out 450 miles of driving, and probably cheaper than fuel for the car. Flybe (www.flybe.com) and BA (www.ba.com) fly to both. Easyjet (www.easyjet.com) will be flying from Gatwick by then to Glasgow, may suit return flights if returning via London. Can hire car via all the main companies at the airport plus local ones (e.g Arnold Clark).

I'd agree with Clydecruiser. Flying and then hiring a car would be the best bet. Mid-June is fine and not as busy on the roads a July and August. Have a good trip and make sure you don't miss a good pub lunch and pint of real ale!

Eddie

What are you wanting to see in Scotland. For instance: culture, mountains, beaches, castles, Scottish islands, maritime history, historical people, industrial heritage, family roots, cuisine?

Most of the population and the main cities, Glasgow and Edinburgh, are in the south, this area is known as the central belt. This is the industrial, financial and cultural centre of the country.

Going north, from Loch Lomond and Perth, you start to get in to the more scenic parts of the country. The further north you go the narrower and windier the roads get.

For castles and the whisky trail, try Royal Deeside between Aviemore and Aberdeen.

Yes Malcolm, the Islay malts are my definite favourites too, with some of the MaCallans.

It is a little trickier to get to Islay of course, it is not quite on the route to anywhere and you are at the mercy of CalMac ferries. You could go there via Arran (from Ardrossan) which would be good. I know you can't take cars on all the ferries that sail to Islay, need to check that if going.

Yes Malcolm, the Islay malts are my definite favourites too, with some of the MaCallans.

It is a little trickier to get to Islay of course, it is not quite on the route to anywhere and you are at the mercy of CalMac ferries. You could go there via Arran (from Ardrossan) which would be good. I know you can't take cars on all the ferries that sail to Islay, need to check that if going.

We were up there for the whisky festival a few years ago. We got to try the Ardbeg 25 year old - that is a nice whisky, although with a "nice" price tag to match:D

We found the best way was to catch the ferry from Oban. You can tour up to Oban and then use the ferry to Islay to reduce the amount of driving on the way back.

Thanks to all of you. I would probably fly into London and then take a train north and pick up a car after a few days in Edinburgh. Train back to southern England. I would like to spend a full 14 days in Scotland and see prehistoric sites on Orkney.

Mostly I like to see scenery--mountains, sea views, etc. I am not a hiker, or at least not now. I am looking forward to this trip after having my left knee replaced in early December of this year. I expect to be walking much better than right now, so I want to do a little walking, but will mostly rely on a car.

I am a pretty good bike ride in spite of severe arthritis, mostly in my left knee, so I might want to do that also, but traveling alone is somewhat limiting. I am not a shopping person, but like local unique things and avoiding other tourists.

I guess all of these: culture, mountains, beaches, castles, Scottish islands, maritime history, historical people, industrial heritage, family roots, cuisine, interest me. I'd check my family roots if I could find more history on my Scots-Canadian paternal grandfathers (McArthur and McLellan).

Is there a season for midges? Or an off-season? We have a lot of mosquitos in northern Michigan but they don't seem to bite me or at least I don't react to their bites.

If you want whisky then spend a few days on Islay (Hic)

Or might l suggest Moray, the heart of Speyside and home of the malt whisky. Indeed the bar where l work we have a range of over 160 malts.... But personally lm a Highland Park myself, coming from up there, its a great whisky, but so is Scapa too....

Personally lm a Highland Park myself

Highland Park? Much more gentle than an Ardbeg. From Orkney - if you're heading up there I'd recommend their tour (the walking isn't that much, if you tell them you've got limited mobility they'll offer a tour with limited walking).

Midge season probably goes from April through to September. They can be particularly bad after rain if you are down at one of the lochs/in the countryside/near a large amount of trees. If in Towns there is nothing to worry about. Any insect repellant should do.

For cost and convenience, I would suggest flying up from London to Scotland. The main airlines between the north and south are http://www.ba.com, http://www.easyjet.com, http://www.ryanair.com, http://www.flybmi.com or http://www.flybe.com.

http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk do the services to Orkney / Shetland. http://www.calmac.co.uk do services to the Western Isles. The cost of taking cars on the ferries can be quite high.

From Edinburgh you can take the A9 up to Inverness via Pitlochry, Blair Athol and slight detours to Aviemore and Carrbridge. This is a main road so easy driving. From Aviemore it is a short trip over to Balmoral Castle and the others in that area. You can take as little or as long as you like to do this.

North of inverness there are two main road, one goes to Ullapool on the west and the other to Wick in the north. There are however loads of smaller scenic roads in between. If you go up to Lairg, the road east towards Golspie is a real scenic one. The road north to Altnaharra and Tongue has a real feelling of remoteness.

If you head over to Ullapool and then follow the main road to the north coast, you must see the beaches round Durness if you get a chance, and then over to Wick and Thurso on the east. You can get a ferry to Orkney from there.

On the way from Wick south, make sure you visit Dunrobin Castle and include one of the falconry displays.

After all that there are areas like Kyle of Lochalsh, Skie and Oban. The list goes on but hope I've given you some new ideas.

For cost and convenience, I would suggest flying up from London to Scotland. The main airlines between the north and south are www.ba.com, www.easyjet.com, www.ryanair.com, www.flybmi.com or www.flybe.com.

www.northlinkferries.co.uk do the services to Orkney / Shetland. www.calmac.co.uk do services to the Western Isles. The cost of taking cars on the ferries can be quite high.

From Edinburgh you can take the A9 up to Inverness via Pitlochry, Blair Athol and slight detours to Aviemore and Carrbridge. This is a main road so easy driving. From Aviemore it is a short trip over to Balmoral Castle and the others in that area. You can take as little or as long as you like to do this.

North of inverness there are two main road, one goes to Ullapool on the west and the other to Wick in the north. There are however loads of smaller scenic roads in between. If you go up to Lairg, the road east towards Golspie is a real scenic one. The road north to Altnaharra and Tongue has a real feelling of remoteness.

If you head over to Ullapool and then follow the main road to the north coast, you must see the beaches round Durness if you get a chance, and then over to Wick and Thurso on the east. You can get a ferry to Orkney from there.

On the way from Wick south, make sure you visit Dunrobin Castle and include one of the falconry displays.

After all that there are areas like Kyle of Lochalsh, Skie and Oban. The list goes on but hope I've given you some new ideas.

Oh damn.

Now I am going to have to cancel my next three cruises and go to Scotland instead!

<G>

Karie,

who is part Scottish.

I'd suggest you take the motorcoach from Southampton to London and spend the night. Continue on your journey via train from London to Edinburgh, (really lovely!) Rent a car from there and do both the Lowlands and the Highlands. Personally, I found the end of September a lovely time to visit. The flowers are in bloom and yet the leaves are just starting to change. *sigh*

(Thinking she thinks another trip to Scotland soon)

Oh, and don't pass up Glasgow either. I know a lot of people dis' Glasgow but it is great fun, if for nothing else, the accent. ("...Gee...I know they're speaking English but....) :rolleyes: BTW, check out "Bank Holiday" in Glasgow. They are so proud of that, "We do it a better time than Edinburgh!" I learned the hard way in that train schedules vary greatly which is nice to know if you need to catch a train elsewhere, but if you're in a car...who cares? (Tho' I love trains and it's rather nice to talk to the "locals" whilst onboard.)

Archived