Looking for info about Ft. Lauderdale Grande Hotel

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? If so, could you tell me how far it is from the hotel to pier. It is my understanding that the hotel will shuttle us to the pier but we will have to get a cab from the airport to the hotel. Any info would be appreciated.:D

We are booked to stay there Aug. 18th. I will answer any questions upon our return Aug. 24th. We got a terrific rate, less than $90 for the one night. There is all kinds of reviews on the hotel board here at cruisecritic. It used to be the Marriott Marina. I did call about the free shuttle to the port. The hotel is very close to the pier, perhaps "across the street?".

Darlene

Thanks for the reply. We are booked here for September 29. I hope we can see the ship from our balcony room. We got a great deal also, $84.00 for a waterway view. The hotel did tell me that they were across the street from cruise terminal but the port address is on Eller Drive. Do you know if different cruise lines leave from different terminals? We are leaving on RCCL Enchantment.

We took a RC cruise just a month ago and stayed at the Grande. Let me tell you the tower main part of the hotel is being redone due to hurricane Wilma last October causing alot of damage, heard these people bought the hotel from what it used to be a Marriott it is no longer a Marriott and it will be months until the tower will be redone. The new owners I heard from India is spending 50 million dollars on its refurbishment. There are wings in the hotel at which that is where guests are being placed.

I have practically "lived there" for many years at this hotel when it was a very upscale hotel in the late 1980's took 6 vacations a year and stood there. It has changed alot but still resembles the Marriott it used to be.

You can get complimentary timed shuttle service to and from the hotel to the beach area and also free complimentary shuttle service to the pier. You need to book up asap as the shuttle only holds a certain number of people and they are on a time schedule, the first shuttle service to the pier was at 10:30pm which we were the first to take.

The hotel itself....well the pool is good and the hot tub you get crappy cheap towels at the pool, no service as it used to be for food and drink. The rooms are outdated a bit but not too much. It wasen't bad but I recall what it used to be and well a huge change for the worse. I know this hotel will be fine when the refurbishment is completed. I have to say for the price we would not go there anymore. The ac units are the old kind individual ones that are set into the windows....they worked but it felt "muggy" inside the rooms. The hallways in the wings are warm and not much air conditioned. The hotel is very quiet and dead like after 9pm.

My suggestion if you cannot get the Embassy Suites on the 17th Street Causway in Ft. Lauderdale stay at a hotel Renaissance Hotel which is just a few doors down from this Grande Hotel , I saw it and it looked very nice. I heard they have a wonderful complementary full american breakfast and they should also give you complimentary service.

If you can get the room for under $100.00 I would suggest if your there for only one night ok if you want a longer stay try another place.

But this hotel is only just a few minutes away from the hotel door to the pier door....and they do give you complimentary service to the pier but no breakfast.

Thank you for the info on the Grande. I stayed at the Embassy a couple of years ago and that was a great place, and did include a nice breakfast. This year it was more money, so we went with the Grande.

Darlene

Archived