Rhapsody of the Seas: Docked for renovation on Feb?

Has anybody heard if the Rhapsody is going for a face lift around Feb of next year? I read in another thread that it was, and will be moved next winter somewhere else. It also says that we will be getting a Voyeger Class ship instead in Galveston, TX. Any info please. I would love to get a bigger ship in Texas.

The last I heard the drydock was the first three weeks of Feb07.

Gulf Coast to Get More Adventurous Cruise Options

In fall 2007, the ship that revolutionized the cruise industry, Voyager of the Seas, will replace Rhapsody of the Seas in Galveston, Texas, marking the first time that a Voyager-class ship will sail from the Lone Star State. Next winter, Voyager will offer alternating 7-night Western Caribbean itineraries, calling one week on Montego Bay, Jamaica; George Town and Cozumel; and the next on Cozumel; Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico and Progreso, Mexico. Rhapsody of the Seas will resume these same itineraries from Galveston in the summer months. However, the winter months will welcome Rhapsody to New Orleans, where she will offer 7-night Western Caribbean sailings. In a similar move, Grandeur of the Seas will reposition to Tampa during the winter season offering 7-night Western Caribbean itineraries to George Town, Grand Cayman; Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; and Cozumel, Mexico.

In fall 2007, the ship that revolutionized the cruise industry, Voyager of the Seas, will replace Rhapsody of the Seas in Galveston, Texas, marking the first time that a Voyager-class ship will sail from the Lone Star State. Next winter, Voyager will offer alternating 7-night Western Caribbean itineraries, calling one week on Montego Bay, Jamaica; George Town and Cozumel; and the next on Cozumel; Roatan, Honduras; Costa Maya, Mexico and Progreso, Mexico. Rhapsody of the Seas will resume these same itineraries from Galveston in the summer months. However, the winter months will welcome Rhapsody to New Orleans, where she will offer 7-night Western Caribbean sailings. In a similar move, Grandeur of the Seas will reposition to Tampa during the winter season offering 7-night Western Caribbean itineraries to George Town, Grand Cayman; Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; and Cozumel, Mexico.

I noticed this as I was booking my cruise for 2007. I've got to question the reasoning behind this as the summer months seem to be more popular sailing out of Galveston as I would suspect other ports are also. So why would they not switch to the Voyager for the summer months and Rhapsody for the winter months? Right now on the Rhapsody you can book a Owners Suite (for five poeple) for a winter month for less than 2 interior rooms during my sailing next summer. If they can't fill the Rhapsody for winter months, how are they going to expect to fill the Voyager?

I was actually able to find a Royal Suite for the five of us for less than my two interior rooms. Difference was we are sailing during the summer and the other sailing was during the winter. Kids are at the age where we don't want to pull them out of school.

DH and I are booked for next Feb and I think she goes in to dry dock after our cruise.

I don't see any sailings on the Rhapsody between Feb 04 and Feb 18 of 2007, so I would think that is the time frame?

Actually I see there is a 5 night on the Rhapsody from the 4th to the 9th. But I don't see anything from the 9th to the 18th. So maybe that is when it is?

I noticed this as I was booking my cruise for 2007. I've got to question the reasoning behind this as the summer months seem to be more popular sailing out of Galveston as I would suspect other ports are also. So why would they not switch to the Voyager for the summer months and Rhapsody for the winter months? Right now on the Rhapsody you can book a Owners Suite (for five poeple) for a winter month for less than 2 interior rooms during my sailing next summer. If they can't fill the Rhapsody for winter months, how are they going to expect to fill the Voyager?

I was actually able to find a Royal Suite for the five of us for less than my two interior rooms. Difference was we are sailing during the summer and the other sailing was during the winter. Kids are at the age where we don't want to pull them out of school.

It will be full either way, but Voyager will make them more money cruising out of Barcelona in the summer than it would cruisng out of Galveston.

It will be full either way, but Voyager will make them more money cruising out of Barcelona in the summer than it would cruisng out of Galveston.

I didn't realize it was sailing out of Barcelona in the summer. Yes they will make a lot more money out of there.

However there are a lot of hot deals on the Rhapsody for winter months. You can get a owner suite for 4 people during the winter for less than a oceanview for 4 during the summer. Just have to imagine how many hot deals there will be for a ship that holds 700+ more passengers. Don't get me wrong I'm all for having the Voyager come to Texas. Better for the economy, nice change of ship, etc. Plus we'll get some great deals on a nicer ship (I love the Rhapsody though).

That being said it looks like NCL may be moving out of the Houston port (I can't find any sailings for NCL past April out of TX)? If that is the case, hot deals may be gone and both ships will be full with little problems.

Glad to have Voyager, but love Rhapsody.

I just searched sailings on the Voyager for Fall 07 and none of them showed sailings out of Galveston??

I just searched sailings on the Voyager for Fall 07 and none of them showed sailings out of Galveston??

Yeah, it looks like it actually starts around Christmas 2007 than continues sailing into 2008 through April. There are no farther dates to check and see when it leaves.

• 3 weeks later...

They are getting the new bedding, well that is in the works now but will be finished up while in dry dock I believe. Not sure they are going to get the new Windjammer look or not, I was not clear on that. On some of the ships they are adding more options in the Windjammer, such as putting in a sushi bar etc. Guess we will get to be surprised! But I dont think they are putting in a specialty dining option.

We have talked to some of the Rhapsody crew and staff and they are moving over to the Voyager when she is here, so maybe that will make it a better cruise, I went out of Miami on her and didnt care for it too much. If they Texanize her, then maybe I would try it again, but from what I hear, they are not yet planning on totally moving Rhapsody out of here. They are not even taking down the Deep in the Heart of Texas sign. As we know things can change rapidly!

Hi. Cool Cruiser. How did you get this information? We will be on the Rhapsody on Junt 17, 07 , which is our 40 th. anniversary, and would hope that is is refurbished. It was very nice when we cruised out of Galveston on on her on Sept. 05. Have you heard anything about the alternative ports used on alternating weeks which include Rotan, Honduras ? Thanks , Dow Dow and Texas Lady.

Archived