In-Cabin Entertaining Tips

GuyInLA

I was invited to a cocktail gathering by a couple on a recent cruise, and was impressed by how they pulled it together without spending a whole lot of money. If others have more tips, why not add them to this thread.

They purchased bottles of Vodka and Gin from "Princess Cellars" (perfectly legal, btw), had brought on a bottle of vermouth in their carry-on (they said that was allowed for some reason, but I don't know why it would have been)... and here was the most clever thing. They ordered six different sandwiches from room service, mostly club sandwiches. And before guests arrived, they cut the sandwiches into finger sandwiches and piled them on a plate, and placed toothpicks in them they had brought from home. They brought down various cut vegetables from the buffet, olives, sliced peppers, baby tomatoes, and arranged them on a plate, with a dressing bowl (the bathroom water glass) filled with creamy dressing in the middle of the veggie plate. They also had crystal light lemonade, that they mixed a nice vodka cocktail with, and obviously had the supplies for martinis.

It almost had a feeling of a catered affair (for a shoe-string cocktail party anyway)... and I left thinking if I ever get upgraded to a full suite I may actually entertain in my room.

Any other tips?

vermouth.. now.. this is based on nothing factual and completely on shopping observations.. gin is my poison of choice but I take mine with tonic :).. but vermouth must be wine. you can buy it in the grocery store, and they stock it in the wine/beer side of the red dot (can you tell I live in south carolina yet? :p). so.. it must be wine. and it is acceptable to carry on wine.

They could have also ordered 'bar munchies' from room service. Such as chips and pretzels. On the old Crown Princess we had an outstanding room steward and every time he knew we were going to invite a few friends over he would set up a table with glasses, extra ice and munchies such as mentioned above. He definitely got a great extra tip at the end of the voyage.

I found it easier to just order a cheese and cracker plate and chips and salsa from their platter room service menu. It had a small charge to it (under $20 for both) but was defintely worth it and easier than transporting food from the buffet back to the room. While not free - I would do this again the same way.

Many people from our group had brought wine on board with them and they just brought this to the get together. The room steward provided extra glasses, peanuts, pretzels, etc. .

I usually bring a small sandwich size insulated bag for shore excursions and pack it at home with Philadelphia salmon cream cheese, a bar of cheddar, a container of spinach dip, a package of pepperoni etc. I also throw a bottle of capers and packages of crackers and nuts into my luggage. I also love rum and tropical juice drinks and find the juice selection on the ship horrible, so, I also bring along some rum and a few of the quart boxes of guava and mango juice. I have also been know to supplement all this with something here and there from the Horizon buffet, sushi anyone?

I love to entertain and host parties, (am a "FoodTV" watcher) -- so to me this is much more fun and personalized than ordering the rather boring room service offerings. (And, remember, no dishes to do or clean-up!)

Horizon court is a great "supermarket" -- just bring stuff down to the fridge; lunch offers fresh fruit, seafood, sauces,etc. (My very DH always "caters" my breakfast from there in the morning while I'm getting dressed: fruit, yogurt, granola, juice, etc) to enjoy on the balcony. More fun and romantic than room service!

Yup, Vermouth is technically a wine - great idea to bring a little along just to add that special touch.

And, no need to have a 'suite' - the balcony and room are fine for 6-8 people...

Planning ahead is my biggest problem. We usually decide at the last minute to entertain and end up with crackers and cheese from the buffet. We would love to order the nachos and other room service items, but the nachos at least have to be ordered 6 hours in advance! :eek: On one cruise it was 24 hours in advance!! :eek: :eek: I'm on vacation, even 6 hours in advance is too much planning for me. ;)

Planning ahead is my biggest problem. We usually decide at the last minute to entertain and end up with crackers and cheese from the buffet. We would love to order the nachos and other room service items, but the nachos at least have to be ordered 6 hours in advance! :eek: On one cruise it was 24 hours in advance!! :eek: :eek: I'm on vacation, even 6 hours in advance is too much planning for me. ;)

That's why the club sandwiches turned into finger sandwiches was so brilliant. They're delivered to your room fresh, a few slices and poof. Catered snacks.

We usually get nuts from the Horizon Court lunch buffet. They are generally near the salads. We also get cheese and crackers. When we see cheeses that are special, we take a plate down to keep in the fridge. Ditto with the crackers and then we are ready for a party whenever.

Lately, the room stewards do not bring extra glasses. They are ordered from room service, along with whatever drinks you wish to serve. Room service will also bring a large bucket of ice if you ask.

I like the idea of the club sandwiches.

Roberta

Archived