Know anything about Travel Scoot Scooter?

DesrtDrmr

I don't know anything about them. I looked at the pictures and they look really neat and so lightweight! How comfortable are they? The wheels look pretty small. Did you sit on one and drive it around at the show? How much is it?

Maybe someone will comment on it.

Judy

Hi Judy,

I just saw them on a tv show about RV's. I thought they looked pretty neat, so I looked them up, but I know nothing......................... I wonder the same things you do........hope someone has seen one in person.

Almost time for your Baltic Cruise..............hope you have a wonderful time! Cant wait to read your trip report, and also about your transatlantic......all those sea days sound fabulous!

Laine

PS I think I saw that they were $1199 on the website, but I don't know if that's the MSRP and might be discounted anywhere.....

Hi Dsert,

Thanks for the good wishes. Just getting ready and I'm at the stage where there is too much to do!!

Have to look up the website, but we're not in the market for one. Wonder if there's a weight limit.

Will try to write some things about each port from a disabled point of view.

Have a good day,

Judy

I took a look at the Travel Scoot. This would probably be a blessing for some but it would be suitable for me. It is rated for 250 pounds. The price was $1195 + $65 shipping in US. The seat looks very uncomfortable. I need arms to push off to get up. It also has hand brakes ... not advisable for anyone with weak hands. The tires are 8"x2" which are pretty standard on a lot of small scooters. The framework will hold 30 pounds of cargo. Apparently is lacking in torque for inclines unless you specifically request a special gear. It was installed by end user. In my opinion this scooter would not be Medicare approved, but would be useful for slow or impaired walkers who still have some balance and good hand function. I like the idea of the crutch holder cups, but I have to wonder if they are adequate.

If anyone here tries out this scooter, I would love to hear how you like it. Thanks dsrtdrmr for bringing it to our attention.

Judy, please put me on your trip journal email list! Hope your trip goes well.

Ruth

Hi Ruth!

I don't have an email list for my trip journal. If I write one I'll send it to you since you're my list!:D

I'm almost ready. The LHR airport terrorist threats are worrisome and they have put a damper on my enthusiasm. Hope everything goes well.

Judy

Oh Judy,

You will be right in the thick of things. Please be sure to put as much as possible into your checked luggage. Don't want to have to rebuy all your toiletries. I should think that you will have less hassle entering London than leaving there. Don't make yourself too anxious, just remain alert. I am sure things will be just fine. Have a great cruise.

Please send me your cruise report even if it is after you get home! Those internet cafe charges can get expensive!

Correction to my previous post. That should have read the Travel Scoot would NOT work for me. But I am happy to see more of this type product on the market. Sometime the perfect solution will be found for all of us!

Ruth

Hello,

Judy, my DH was at Heathrow on "the day", and trying to get home. Other than putting everything, including a new laptop and his cell phone, into a checked bag, he was fine. He was very late, but did get home that day. I think you are going a little early, and you can take a carry on from the US, but as Ruth pointed out, it will probably be a little more difficult coming home from the UK. My cousin just arrived here from Boston, and on her domestic flight she carried all of her clothes in a little tote bag (only here for 4 days, and is a tiny person), but could not bring toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc. I just dug out my bag of sample sized stuff and she was all set, and still didn't have to wait for bags.

We were at our friendly mobility supply store yesterday to get new batteries for my scooter, and I looked around and didn't see a Travelscoot. Everyone was busy, so I didn't have an opportunity to ask............. Ruth, you are right, the seat does look uncomfortable. I was hoping they had one so I could sit on it and try it out............but no. Judy, I hope you'll post a link to your trip report when you get back................again, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Laine

Hi Laine,

Glad to hear your DH made it home from London safely. Will try to write a short trip report. My DH keeps me busy!:) We should have a great trip. I won't have to worry about flying home as we are coming back to NJ on the Constellation. We'll stop at 17 ports. I can't imagine how it will work out. What an adventure! Thanks for the good wishes.

Judy

Hardy ... thank you for contributing to this thread. What better source for information than than the designer! I must have missed the accelerator. Is it on the handle bar? Is there a possibility for an automatic braking system that kicks in when the accelerator is disengaged?

I am happy to see that it will be displayed at a show in Anaheim, CA. Even though I do not think that this suitable for me, I would like to see it and try it out. Anaheim is close enough that I can probably do that. Will you be at that show?

Ruth

The throttle is a twist grip, similar to mopeds and motorbikes and when the twist grip is released, it turns automatically back to idle and the speed reduces to zero in reasonable time. The brake levers are similar to that on bicycles and are mostly required for emergency only.

There is no anti tip device because they all are not very effective and suggest false security. They are all mounted so shortly behind the rear wheels that once the tip wheels reach the ground, you are already that far back that you will continue to tip. In order to make it really tip proof, they need to be mounted so far behind that they could create a stumble hazzard for others. The best method to prevent tip or fall is to lean the upper body toward the higher side of the terrain. Those who cannot control their upper body anymore probably need an electric wheelchair.

Basically the TravelScoot is designed for persons who have walking difficulties but are otherwise still fairly mobile.

Hardy

This looks like a nice portable scooter, the foot pedals would be the big problem for my mother, as with her diabetes her feet aren't in great shape and I think she'd need more stability/be able to rest them etc.,

Love the idea of being able to put it in a bag and carry it anywhere! Nice design Hardy -

Yes, the frame looks filigree, but because of the clever engineering and the use of aircraft grade aluminum it is extremely sturdy. While it is rated for 260 pounds, it is used also by significantly heavier persons. It is not so much the weight which limits the use, it's more the circumference.

Hardy

Archived