Are M-Class Sky Deck cabins noisy?

S2az

Hello, everybody-

After learning an awful lot from you all in the past month or so, I am de-lurking to get your advice on cabin selection on the Summit. We have sailed on RCI and NCL previously and are looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise late this summer in Alaska.

We are booked in a CC cabin on Sky Deck, near midship. On paper, it looks like a great location, but I'm a little concerned and would greatly appreciate the learned opinions of those of you have experienced this firsthand (or for that matter, the wild-eyed guesses of anyone else.) From searching the boards, it seems to me that there are a number of folks who find the Sky Deck cabins to be noisy, and another group who finds them not noisy. My impression (which may be all wrong) is that those who find them to be noisy may be on warm-weather trips, and the noise is pool-activity related, which I would assume would be less so in Alaska.

The deck layout makes it appear that above our cabin are some exterior (poolside) tables and chairs. It appears that other cabins on the same deck are available, mostly further aft, but a couple further forward (more under the pool.)

Are we making a mistake with this cabin? Should we try to move while we have the chance? Am I over-worrying this? Please straighten me out.

Duffy

P.S. This is my first post, so be gentle with me.:)

you have a good point there about warm weather vs. alaska. We were in 9099. We could hear the hot tub kick on and off. That would also be the case with alaska.

The noise wasnt completely pool related. That deck is heavy metal that vibrates with noise. Heavy walking or running on the deck was the problem. See if you can find a cabin forward or aft, under some carpet. That would help.

;)

We are booked in a CC cabin on Sky Deck, near midship. On paper, it looks like a great location, but I'm a little concerned and would greatly appreciate the learned opinions of those of you have experienced this firsthand (or for that matter, the wild-eyed guesses of anyone else.)

Semi-wild guess. The CC's aft of the SS cabins, are under the buffet area. That area is all carpeted. I checked about the noise from there, last year on the Summit. It is much quieter. We booked cabin #9125 on the Constellation TA this Sept. It is also located between the over hangs and away from support beams. The overhangs are a concern to many. :eek:

Hope this is of help! :)

ccletzgo-

Great point about the hot tub-hadn't thought of that one. Also can't tell for sure where it is on the deck layout, but I think I figured it out from your cabin number. Our is 9092 which is on the other side of the ship and a few cabins aft of yours, so hot tub might be a problem.

twofertwo-

You make a good point about the carpeting in the buffet. I guess I was worried that there would be a lot of morning activity in the buffet. (Of course, now you've got me worried about the overhang.:()

Thanks to you both. I think we may just try and move aft a little and cross our fingers.

I understand your concerns. I figure that the reason that Celebrity made the cabins on the Sky deck Concierge class was to overcome the anguish that the overhangs and the possible noise might present.

WE have CC on Summit from September 17-October 15. (fingers are crossed that on the second leg of the b2b we get a visit from the upgrade fairy.)

I even went so far as to cut out the upper level and superimposed it on to the Sky deck. Then I decided, Heck, what darn difference will it make. This will be one incredibly wonderful trip and given that both of the segments of the B2B are pretty well sold out, I am one darn lucky person to have the ability to take this trip.

Enjoy your vacation and I promise you I intend to enjoy mine. (noise, overhng and all.) ;-)

We've been in 9038 & 9043 and are booked in 9047 on Summit in March. The front of the ship is less noisy, we are directly under the spa. Location is great. We love being on deck 9, you can do the stairs up and down to most activities and we always seem to find the elevators are not as crowded that high up during the evenings.

Wherever you are you'll love the CC cabins.

We were in 9150 on Summit (pretty far aft). Very quiet and no issue with overhang or beams - we were kind of between. We will be in 9185 on upcoming Alaska cruise - same cabin location but on other side of ship. Our friends were in that cabin on our last cruise and also had no issues with noise. You are beneath a carpeted dining area, so really don't here any noise from above. Also, little hallway traffic when you are that far back.

Duffy

We're booked in 9088 - just 2 doors away from you - on Summit a little earlier - July 16. I have had the same concerns and have been reading all information I could find on noise level. I got so frustrated with thinking about changing, not changing, that I just said I can't worry about it any longer. I also came to the conclusion that the noise might not be as bad on an Alaskan cruise as on one to a warmer climate.

So I guess we'll stick with what we've got and if noise is a problem, then will try to move IF anything is available. If not, then we've learned a lesson about future room selections.

I'm just happy to be going!

Thanks, everybody for all the input.

We were able to move a little further aft, 9114, under the (carpeted) Waterfall Grill floor. I'm now officially not going to worry about it any more. And if there's noise, there's noise-we'll still have a great time.

Now of course if we wind up with a lifeboat in our balcony . . .:rolleyes:

We were able to move a little further aft, 9114, under the (carpeted) Waterfall Grill floor. I'm now officially not going to worry about it any more

Good to hear that you were able to move. I'm sorry if my comments on Sky deck CC's, caused you or anyone else worry! I was just repeating what I had learned on these message boards, over the past two years. The subject of noise, comes up all the time. I agree, the noise form the pool area would be more noticeable on warm weather cruises. Some have said, that they could hear deck chairs being set up in the morning, for pool use. The main pool was not used much on our Alaska (West coast) cruise last year.

As for the inside cabins on the Sky deck, yes, they would be noiser with buffett galley above (no carpeting) :eek:

If anyone wants more information on overhangs on the Sky deck, do a search. There has been MUCH talk about that. :eek:

By all means, just enjoy the cruise! :D

One last note; cabin has only a partial overhang. IMHO :)

Duffys

I was going to talk to you about the lifeboat on the balcony. I superimposed the lifeboat onto the sky deck and oooooops......IT appears that it just might be a titch space taking. But I am certain that you can still use the chairs if you make sure that you put your feet up on the side of the lifeboat. (Teasing)

Please have a wonderful trip. I am certain that you will.

Evana

Thanks, everybody for all the input.

We were able to move a little further aft, 9114, under the (carpeted) Waterfall Grill floor. I'm now officially not going to worry about it any more. And if there's noise, there's noise-we'll still have a great time.

Now of course if we wind up with a lifeboat in our balcony . . .:rolleyes:

We were just oin 9112 on Constellation. Very Quiet and very easy to get about.

Mary

We were in 9050 for our Alaska cruise on the Summit and had no noise from the deck above but then in Alaska not many people up on deck moving chairs early in the morning. Very little noise at all from cabins next door or below. Could hear their balcony door open and shut if our door was open. We left the door open a crack at night to hear the waves.

NO

There is NO lifeboat issue. My reply was simply very tongue in cheek. I was toying with Duffys insecurity, that I share. As I mentioned on another thread, I even went as far as to cut out the deck plans and superimpose them on top of each other just to see if my cabin was going to be noisy, dark or otherwise ruin my trip.

Every person is looking for something different from a cruise. You can read three reviews of the Summit's food and get three different opinions. You can ask about the Concierge Class cabin overhangs and have a myriad of responses from, too dark-no sun, to, nicely protected from the elements. It is all a matter of personal taste. We can come here for information and do with that information what we wish.

The Lifeboats are not an issue as they are on the Entertainment decks.

NO

There is NO lifeboat issue. My reply was simply very tongue in cheek. I was toying with Duffys insecurity, that I share.

Rats! And here I was, taking yoga classes so I could put my feet up on the lifeboat as you suggested, and now you say I don't need to. Or at least I'll only need to on the Entertainment deck. Which, come to think of it, might be darn entertaining to some folks.:D

Twofertwo - I was in 9125 on the Constellation in Dec. and it was very noisy around 12 - 1am. Oh I complained and the noise subsided for one night but the rest of the week was awful. In April of '04 I was in 9090 on the Summit and it was much quieter there. I think being under the buffet and seating area is something to think about.

Archived