Best Bar on QM2

belldebb

Ok, it's almost unanimous that the Commodore Club is 'the place'.

So, I'll play devil's advocate and say (first) why you should 'approach with caution'.

The starboard side of the lounge can get really smokey, especially with the cigar lounge located there.

Just before second sitting in the evening, it's a can of sardines.

Errrr.... that's all.

The good bits:-

It's one of the first bars to open in the morning. (Oops..... I'm giving a bit too much info away there....!!!)

It's really very very nice and quiet in the morning if you want to find a place where you can get away from it all.

In the evening, time your arrival (if possible) to be 1 minute 30 seconds after the last call for the second sitting. The place becomes almost empty within the space of a few minutes (then).

It's the best place to observe the ship's motion. It's the best place to get a little tipsy if you want to exagerate the motion. (Try it standing up looking forward as waves crash over the bow. But try not to look rooted to the spot swaying with intoxication).

The window ledges make very handy places to spread your wares out if you're (for example) reading papers, trying to keep an ashtray away from somebody who may not like it, trying to keep your table clear of cigarettes, lighter, book, bag, sunglasses, cap, jacket, camera... etc etc etc.

There is a handy power point on the starboard side - great if you've got a laptop during the day and you're keeping a diary (as I did).

And - because of all of the above, you can easily explain to your partner why you've been drinking before midday!!!

JACK!

Good to see you on board(s)! I, for one, have missed your wit and wisdom! Hope this finds you and the wife fully recevered from whatever it was that ailed you. Did you ever confirm what it was?

Karie

G2CU2

We never did find out what caused the stomach problems. It did take quite a while to regain our normal lives on returning, but everything's OK now. Ann is currently in Ireland on holiday and I'm busy arranging an exhibition to show off our recently completed landscape oil paintings!!

<snip from the welcome page>

Original Oil Paintings by Jack & Ann Coveney

Hello and welcome to an exhibition of our landscape paintings.

The mountain scenes are inspired by a recent journey around the Americas taking in Cape Horn, Patagonia, a number of Chilean Fjords and the Andes.

<end snip>

We switched to oil paint rather than use watercolours as taught by Dianna, our painting instructor on the QM2 and spent most of our sick days after the cruise painting. Some of my stuff is quite good, while Ann's work is artistic (grin).

It really was a "happy accident" when we walked into QM2 painting classroom while looking for another bar!

Like they say "every cloud has a silver lining".

Best regards, keep safe and happy sailing

Jack

Paul is back in Q32 now! seems a shame he was fab in the commodore, some of my friends were on a few weeks ago for commodore W's leaving bash.

Has anyone ever been in that Winter Garden? it looks like a morgue up there, what a shame it looks like its got all the right bits in all the wrong places!..... and dont get me started about the grass cuttings in the tables, whats that all about? it looks like a changing rooms make over!

Mark

I concur with your remarks about the Winter Garden, Mark. (Except that, pardon me, I don't know what changing rooms are.) The decor is so inconsistent with that found on the rest of the ship, it seems out of place! We had one drink there (alone, not another soul except the bartender) and decided that it reminds us of what one might find in Las Vegas.

I concur with your remarks about the Winter Garden, Mark. (Except that, pardon me, I don't know what changing rooms are.) The decor is so inconsistent with that found on the rest of the ship, it seems out of place! We had one drink there (alone, not another soul except the bartender) and decided that it reminds us of what one might find in Las Vegas.

Sorry for that!!

"Changing rooms" was one of the first of the now plentiful house make-over programmes on TV in the UK, It was fab because two sets of neighbours were supposed to make their neighbours' houses look fabulous with the help of "famous" interior designers, what actually happened was the interior designers completely ignored any special requests they suggested, threw away anything they really liked or painted them dreadful colours, then cut out silly shaped things in MDF and made window boxes, pelmets, room dividers and fireplaces out of it (by the way it was supposed to be serious, not a prank! one particular pratt of a designer decided to paint the-centuries old-solid oak floor of a stately home black...that went doen really well!!)

The best bit was the big reveal at the end!! It was fab, the lady of the house entering the living room expecting the hanging gardens of Babylon & Chandeliers etc, but actually finding complete massacre! and then having to pretend that they liked it infront of the cameras, and anxiously waiting for the production team to leave to murder the neighbours who had orchestrated it!! priceless road kill TV.

Unfortunatley they only do tasteful ones these days, its really boring when they love it, and makes me jealous they've not been round to do mine!!

Anyway that kind of sums up the Winter Garden Bar, I defy anyone to dissagree! however all the paintings for the "art auction" look quite at home in there!

You mean that you've never watched it?:eek: We don't just get the British version, but the American, Australian and New Zealand versions as well.

Well I know Changing Rooms plays on BBC Canada so I am assuming that BBC America carries it as well. Yes, we got hooked on it (shorter and more fast paced than the Americanized Trading Spaces) and it became a Saturday night staple for about a year. We truly need to get a life.:D

Should we be looking for any of Handy Andy's shelving units in the Winter Garden then?:D

David

Malcolm and David...so you're the 2 who watched that show :eek:

Not me (anymore):) When it was the only show of its kind and they did extreme makeovers then it was fun to watch. Now that almost every other show is making over a house, garden or whatever then Changing Rooms has lost its appeal:( .

Not me (anymore):) When it was the only show of its kind and they did extreme makeovers then it was fun to watch. Now that almost every other show is making over a house, garden or whatever then Changing Rooms has lost its appeal:( .

I agree except (sadly) for 60 minute makeover!! I love carol smiley!!

Now now Penny. Are you saying your house is perfect and needs no help?:D

Yeah I have to concur with Malcolm and ssnorway. There's a whole plethora of similar shows and HGTV Canada has a slate full of Canadian, American, British and Australian shows all with similar themes. So we've also pulled away somewhat. However, there are some we watch now and then. Restaurant Makeover is a cool new show where they take a restaurant that seems to have been stuck in a time warp with the same old crowd and improve on it. Hmmm. now here's a show that could be doing the Cunard restaurants that might need it.

For someone who's leaving today for a weekend getaway I am spending far too much time on here.:eek:

David

Restaurant Makeover is a cool new show where they take a restaurant that seems to have been stuck in a time warp with the same old crowd and improve on it.

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares? I do still watch that.

Hmmm. now here's a show that could be doing the Cunard restaurants that might need it.

Ronald McDonald as a feature of the Queens Grill:eek:

Hey David and Penny!

I bet that I could have asked Beth this quesion about the bars instead of starting this thread!

She is our Cunard Customer Service!

You see where Bob's concerns are?? THE BARS!

Mine are the formal nights and attire!

have a great day guys!

LOL, Peter... What do you consider the equivalent on QE2? The Yacht Club?

Regards,

Bobby

DEFINATELY! if our last one was anything to go by.

Although G32 on QM was more FOD than Commodore last Christmas, maybe the club on the Victoria should be the G69?

Although G32 on QM was more FOD than Commodore last Christmas, maybe the club on the Victoria should be the G69?

I'm surprised that post hasn't been deleted for its content!:D

Regarding FOD on QE2, we found the Chart Room quite friendly:)

LOL David....with Golden Retriever fur a daily occurance, my house ALWAYS needs help. But hopefully not the kind I've seen on some of those shows!! :eek:

Debbie...look at all the fun answers you've gotten by starting this thread...more than us newbies on our Roll Call could have given you. You did a service to us all!! :) As to the formal wear topic...well you know how bad I am with that one!!:D

Cheers, Penny

Archived