QE2 in Alaska

pkpon

A few years back I can recall talking to a QE2 captain and asking him where he would love to take the ship that she not yet been. His immediate answer was Alaska.

Does anyone think the QE2 ever has a chance of getting there before her retirement. Maybe doing a season of the Sagaford's wonderful old 10 day and 11 day cruises.

Another issue would be enviromental. There is very strict control of things like visible engine smoke and waste management. I think QE2 does not neccessaraily meet all the requirements. It would be possible to hit these targets and get the required certification, but the cost is hard to justify for a trip a year.

A few years back I can recall talking to a QE2 captain and asking him where he would love to take the ship that she not yet been. His immediate answer was Alaska.

Does anyone think the QE2 ever has a chance of getting there before her retirement. Maybe doing a season of the Sagaford's wonderful old 10 day and 11 day cruises.

Queen Victoria, as a "cruiseship" (read, not a liner), is a better bet. Years ago, in more heroic times, Cunard's Sagafjord did the summertime Alaska cruise circuit. Maybe if QE2 continues in her summertime venue in Europe, I could see Queen Victoria being repositioned to the Pacfic Northwest for some sort of Alaska program, at least for the new Cunard to have a presence in that market... that's what "cruiseships" do in the summertime, right?:rolleyes:

Bobby

I don't see QV going to Alaska either.

They can make a lot more money in Europe.

So what are they doing sending the QM2 from the far from uncrowded Caribbean for 5 months in 07-08?.....I also suspect the QE2 may not meet the MARPOL requirements.....though the earlier noted statuary requirement on sewage has dropped off her list:

http://www.cdlive.lr.org/vesselstatus.asp?LRNO=6725418

- so perhaps it was fixed - or possibly just paperwork....

Peter

So what are they doing sending the QM2 from the far from uncrowded Caribbean for 5 months in 07-08?

That's the winter... A whole different story.

In the summer, if you can choose between Alaska or Europe, the per diems will be much higher in Europe.

In the winter choosing between... Well, what? QM2 is so huge, it is not convenient to send her someplace in the Pacific (like Asia or Australia). The only other option might be South America, but even there, she is limited in where she can go because she is such a giant.

Truth is, QM2 is a very good liner but a pretty awful cruise ship, by virtue of her size. Oh yes, I know there are cruise ships that are much bigger than her, but those mostly stay in the Caribbean and the Med...

I still think Princess' "R" ships ought to go to Cunard. They would make great small Cunard cruise ships for Alaska, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa/India and so on. The odd thing is, I know that P&O looked at this, concluded they could make a lot more money by moving the ships from Princess to Cunard... And then did nothing!

I know that P&O looked at this, concluded they could make a lot more money by moving the ships from Princess to Cunard... And then did nothing!

Perhaps they thought Cunard needed to get its act together first - possibly move them post Queen Victoria? I agree they look very odd in the Princess portfolio.....or perhaps Cunard mgt have bought their 'superliner' publicity....and forgotten the rest of their history.....

Peter

Perhaps they thought Cunard needed to get its act together first - possibly move them post Queen Victoria? I agree they look very odd in the Princess portfolio.....or perhaps Cunard mgt have bought their 'superliner' publicity....and forgotten the rest of their history.....

The whole thing sounds as if it could be another nail in QE2's coffin.

Well, you can THINK they look odd.. the former R ships, that is. However, truth be told....they are they easiest sells in the Princess fleet! And sell they do. The new Royal Princess for 07 is selling very well for Europe!

Well, you can THINK they look odd.. the former R ships, that is. However, truth be told....they are they easiest sells in the Princess fleet!

Well, they certainly are to me ;) !

But just because they are making money at Princess doesn't mean they couldn't make more at Cunard.

Archived