buying wine in galveston

billsrobb

What are you looking for? My best suggestion would be the Kroger around 58th and Seawall. They have a decent selection. Maybe someone who lives there can be of more help, but I have yet to find a decent liquor/wine place on the island. I've driven down all the main road and all I've found are all hole-in-the-wall shops. You know: 6 or 8 overpriced options.

Another option (assuming you're driving in) is to stop at the Spec's just off 45 at exit 22 or 23. Probably some higher end stuff there, though I don't drink anything too expensive.

Mike

Hey, I was just gonna start a thread like this! I know the liquor laws in Texas are different than out here in wild California, where you can buy anything just about anywhere. Do they still sell hard liquor only in liquor stores back there? What about on Sundays, any restrictions on selling hard liquor, beer or wine? Also, at our Target store here in CA they sell some decent wines at pretty good prices, do they sell wine at the Target in Galveston?

Hard liquor in liquor stores only. They're allowed to be open Mon - Sat from 10a-9p.

Beer and wine can be found in grocery stores (and some Targets - not sure about the Galveston one), and can be purchased from 6:30 a (I think) - midnight Mon - Fri, and until 1:00 or 1:30 on Saturday. Sundays they can't sell until noon.

Texas Liquor Regulations: :eek:

Retail for Offsite Consumption -

Beer and Wine available at grocery and convenience stores:

Monday through Friday 8am to 12am(midnight)

Saturday 7am to Sunday 1am(morning)

Sunday 12pm(noon) to 12am(midnight)

Liquor/Package Store:

Monday through Saturday 12pm(noon) to 9pm

Sunday closed all day

Texas Liquor Regulations: :eek:

Retail for Offsite Consumption -

Beer and Wine available at grocery and convenience stores:

Monday through Friday 8am to 12am(midnight)

Saturday 7am to Sunday 1am(morning)

Sunday 12pm(noon) to 12am(midnight)

Liquor/Package Store:

Monday through Saturday 12pm(noon) to 9pm

Sunday closed all day

Okay, I KNOW not all liquor stores can't open until noon. I've shopped at the downtown Spec's as recently as a few weeks ago on my lunch break, which I always take before noon.

There was a Walgreens or equivalent on the main drag not too far from the pier. Excellent selection, you won't have a hard time finding it, except maybe on a Sunday a.m.

I never would have even thought of Walgreens....

Thanks! ;)

Okay, I KNOW not all liquor stores can't open until noon. I've shopped at the downtown Spec's as recently as a few weeks ago on my lunch break, which I always take before noon.

You are right; I stand corrected. :o That is what I get for using an indirect source online, rather than going to the government website, which I have now done. The below is from the Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission website:

CHAPTER 105. HOURS OF SALE AND CONSUMPTION

Sec. 105.01. HOURS OF SALE: LIQUOR. (a) Except as provided in Sections 105.02, 105.03, [and] 105.04, and 105.08 [of this code], no person may sell, offer for sale, or deliver any liquor:

(1) on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day;

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code (2005) 24

(2) on Sunday; or

(3) before 10 a.m. or after 9 p.m. on any other day.

(b) When Christmas Day or New Year's Day falls on a Sunday, Subsection (a) of this section applies to the following Monday.

Thanks for catching the error in my previous post, aggieastrosfan!

Interesting, Walgreens in California is about one of the only places (along with Wal-Mart of course!)that doesn't sell alcohol. Anyway, I'm sure we'll find some somewhere.

Mr. Dood, we must have been posting as the same time, your post wasn't there when I wrote mine. I should have known you wouldn't miss out on this thread.:D

The only one I'm aware of (on Seawall just East(?) of 61st... perhaps about 65th) is a Supercenter. I can't confirm they sell wine myself, but if they don't the Kroger (I think it's a Kroger, could be another chain) is just 4 or 5 blocks down Seawall around 58th.

Archived