Legend to San Juan question

cruiseescape

Has anyone done this cruise out of NY?? I was just wondering if anyone got in early enough to go to the rain forrest??

they should be in port in plenty of time. I am booked on the legend on 09/17 and the rainforest tour is listed as available on the carnival website.

When we sailed, the rainforest was not listed as an option on the online list, but it was listed in the printed list when we boarded. We docked around 1:00 and were off the ship by 2:00. We just opted for an on-your-own walking tour around Old San Juan.

We just opted for an on-your-own walking tour around Old San Juan.

We've been thinking of doing it on-our-own too, but my only question is if there are guides available that indicate the highlights and areas of interest.

When you get off the ship, there will be tour buses and taxis. The tour bus we took charged $10 a person. They hold about 30 people. Our tour guide took us along the coast where all the nice hotels are, and arranged for us to tour some gardens at one of them. Then he took us through San Juan, to the Capitol building, which is right on the water and just beautiful. We had about 45 minutes to walk around. Then it was back to the ship via Old San Juan. He gave us an option of getting off there or continuing back to the ship. Old San Juan is within walking distance of the ship.

I will admit that were were leary at first. He kept telling us to come with him, that he had a bus full and room for 4 more. We couldn't find a full bus anywhere. But he kept saying "follow me, follow me". We weaved through buses and cars and sure enough. There was his bus with a bunch of Pax, with heads hanging out the windows going "come on, come on". We had a ball. Our guide, Angel, was hysterical.

He didn't even collect money until after the tour. He said if we didn't think it was worth $10 we didn't have to pay him. He even gave everyone a little lapel pin with the Capitol building on it.

You might consider this. Well worth the money.

We've been thinking of doing it on-our-own too, but my only question is if there are guides available that indicate the highlights and areas of interest.

I had downloaded a map of OSJ before we sailed. We wanted to see a fort, so we went to San Cristobal - a relatively easy walk from the pier. Then we walked along the waterfront toward El Morro, then downhill to the cathedral - had about 10 minutes there before they closed for the evening. (You could tell they were closing because they were turning off the fans:eek: .) Then we walked down to Pigeon Park (aptly named) and along the waterfront back to the ship. We had hoped to find a restaurant for dinner, but everything we saw was pretty crowded - so we went back to Legend for dinner, then DH, oldest son and I disembarked for some more time ashore.

Sinkers is right - there are lots of tour guides right there at the end of the pier, and they're fairly reasonably priced. A number of pax opted for these tours.

Archived