Random thoughts after my Destiny cruise...

swimgirl

• A balcony is worth every penny. Do whatever you have to do to afford it: scrimp, steal, whatever it takes.
  • It was so ironic that we carefully dressed appropriately in formal and resort casual clothing, but the food tasted like it came from Dennys, the glassware was mis-matched, silverware places were incomplete, and there was a total lack of personal service.
  • People-watching is an enjoyable cruise activity; it should be posted in the Capers
  • Room service is a wonderful thing
  • Cruising is a lot like life: it isn't perfect, but you just have to chill out and enjoy it!

Swimgirl- could you please elaborate about the food?? Are you referring to the dining room or lido deck buffets or both?? Also, do you have background in food and beverage- I only ask because we all tend to pick a little more than the average cruiser might :) Was it everyday or just one day's food that really drew that conclusion comparing to Denny's??

I personally LOVE Denny's and would have compared the Lido Deck buffet to it possibly, but not Dinner time. Of course, I wasn't on the same cruise that you were on...

Glad you enjoyed your balcony!! :)

Hi Pholter,

The food was really pretty much what I expected. After all, they are trying to feed 3,000 people. How good could it possibly be? Actually, I'm probably glad, as I didn't gain any weight!!

My point was this: It amused me that we were all dressed up at this table, and the glasses didn't match, only some of us had a complete set of silverware, and the food certainly wasn't "gourmet". I kept thinking, "My husband drug a suit here for this??". I don't want to offend anyone, truly, but it just seemed a little pretentious. (OK, go ahead and slam me!)

My opinion is that the food and service just don't warrant the formal dress code. After seeing the "dress code" discussion beaten to death on these forums, it just struck me as funny. I don't know, maybe I have a sick sense of humor!!!

Anyone going on this cruise should not worry, there's always something to eat! You certainly will not starve. If I were to do it again, I'd leave that suitcase of formal wear at home, and eat at the buffet. Or, better yet, on my balcony with room service. Gotta love that room service!

Archived