Food on White Pass Railway

Annie555

They give each person a small bottle of water. Our "kids" took several cookies along (from room service); they seem to want to eat often! No one was really eating; it's not that many hours.

Now, this year we're renting a car and will be gone for many hours so we will have to stock up!;)

We took apples and bananas with us from the ship, but I didn't know if you were allowed to either, so we waited until we saw others eating the same things. There wasn't a garbage bag (at least we didn't see one) so take something to throw stuff away in. make sure you get one of their waters. They are in cute little trains!

I booked our train ride from Anch to Seward through the cruiseline. We were offered a box lunch on board. It was a sandwich, cookie & apple with a soda/water. I think it cost 6-7 dollars each. There was also a snack/drinks car for sodas, wine, beer etc. There was a high school student from Anch who gave us a history of the area and a running commentary of the scenery.

If I had it to do over again I would not have wasted the day in Anchorage, our train did not leave til late afternoon. We spent our day waiting in crowds to get to the train, then board etc. I would have rented a car and gone directly to Seward, as it was we didn't get aboard til 7 pm.

and saw nothing of Seward. :(

Emma, Did you like the train ride itself, though. Too bad you weren't able to enjoy all that Anchorage has to offer. We stayed there for 3 days after our cruise. Too much to see, we need to go back. I am thinking that the train ride on the Alaska Railroad (or whatever the train was through the cruiseline) may be a little different than the White Pass train in the respect that the White Pass goes up into the mountains in Skagway and it is an old narrow gauge train that was absolutely a blast to take. Since it is an antique, I am assuming the OP was asking due to them not having a dining car or giving the option to buy a lunch. Much different than a modern train. I felt guilty eating on it, in case I dropped something, which I would not think of on a modern day train. I know that they can clean it up there.:D

I e-mailed the White Pass Railway today and here are the answers to your question PLUS a couple that I threw in too for good measure:

Greetings from Skagway,

Answers to your questions;

1. yes, each coach has a restroom - the are enclosed and heated if

necessary

2. no food or drinks are sold on the train- we do provide a small

bottle of water

3. you are welcome to bring anything to eat or drink on the train

4. The Summit train is equipped with a lift car for wheel chair access-

just let your shore excursion officer know

Look forward to seeing you in Skagway. Have a nice trip

Marcia

Ticket Office

Thanks, everyone, for the answers to my question.

(Now why didn't I think of emailing the Railway itself :confused: )

That was exactly the answer I hoped for. We are on the 1 p.m. round trip so it will be early to eat lunch beforehand and still make the train.

Thanks again for emailing WP RR, MilliesMom.

Cruisecritic members are so great.

I knew you could not take fruits into another country with you, even when we were on the bus ride from Seattle to Vancouver. We were told that anyone who had fruit must eat it before the border or throw it away. Since we did not go into another country on the White Pass, I know it crosses the border, but you do not depart the train!)we were told we could. Is this wrong???? I can see if we had taken the Liarsville train that actually goes into Canada and you need your passport, but the one we took, we did not need it.

i agree NO FRUIT, but would it be alright to bring sandwiches from the ship? i always carry sodas/water with me, that's what the big canvas bag is for. DH eats early, he would need to eat sometime along the trip. we are on the early ride, no time to go out and shop for something.

I knew you could not take fruits into another country with you, even when we were on the bus ride from Seattle to Vancouver. We were told that anyone who had fruit must eat it before the border or throw it away. Since we did not go into another country on the White Pass, I know it crosses the border, but you do not depart the train!)we were told we could. Is this wrong???? I can see if we had taken the Liarsville train that actually goes into Canada and you need your passport, but the one we took, we did not need it.

Yes, you are wrong. You can NOT take fruit off your ship- anytime. The ship essentially is a foreign vessel. You can take packaged food.

Archived