Queens Grill with Kids - do we dare?

OceanLiner

We will be traveling with our two sons, ages 9 and 12, in a QG level room. Do we dare to bring them to the Queens Grill? They tend to be VERY well behaved (at least at dinner!) but we were worried about somehow not feeling welcomed by other guests, and we wondered if the QG would respond positively to children.

Another option is to feed them early at one of the other sites and then set them loose on the ship while we ate dinner at the QG.

Thanks for you comments, this community is amazing!

well behaved children would be most welcome by staff and guests alike. Its just some little b****rds should never be taken anywhere near humans!

Its a pleasure to see children of all ages dinning in a responsible manner.

regards

Jim

well behaved children would be most welcome by staff and guests alike. Its just some little b****rds should never be taken anywhere near humans!

Its a pleasure to see children of all ages dinning in a responsible manner.

regards

Jim

If they're well behaved then I don't see any problem. If they start to play up then take them straight out.

I have seen children in the Queens Grill. We once had a table next to table with a family. I am sure we were noisier. I think the fact that there are so few children on Cunard ships helps. The few children never seem noticeable. There are not enough to form a pack.

Your children are travelling in a Queens Grill cabin. Their allocated dining room is the Queens Grill. Why should they feel they have to eat anywhere else? After all they are far too old for the childrens tea. Just make sure they don’t disturb other passengers and abide by the dress code.

You will probably be allocated your own family table.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Another option is to feed them early at one of the other sites and then set them loose on the ship while we ate dinner at the QG.

QUOTE]

I hope you don't mean this as it reads!

As Stephen says- QG is their entitlement - if they were not allowed, you wouldn't have been able to book. What an experience!

have a great trip

heywood

One thing people take great pleasure in is seeing well behaved (and dressed) children enjoying dinner with their parents.

You'll get ooohs and ahhhs from people *pleased* to see parents involving their childen is something like this.

Go for it!!!

I say bring them. The dining rooms should be open to all guests in the same category so age should not be a problem. Also, you know your children best. If they behave themselves in a formal dining situation I don't think there would be any problems. Sure, you might have the occasional stare as if they don't belong but I bet you most people will look at them with curiosity more than anything. After an hour I am sure no one will notice they are there.

In fact, looking back at my childhood, I would have loved to have had the experience thinking I was playing grown up on the ship. I think they will enjoy the experience as much as you will.

While there may be a lot of negative postings about children on these boards one has to remember that it isn't an anti-child board. The complaints are usually based on frustration brought about by misbehaving children and not meant to be representative of all children.

We will be traveling with our two sons, ages 9 and 12, in a QG level room. Do we dare to bring them to the Queens Grill? They tend to be VERY well behaved (at least at dinner!) but we were worried about somehow not feeling welcomed by other guests, and we wondered if the QG would respond positively to children.

Thanks for you comments, this community is amazing!

your concern is misplaced bring the youg men to dinner in th QG it will be a great experience for them and you and most likely put a smile on otherwise a lot of somber looking faces (I.E. like jimgib above) We are sailing QG on dec9 2006 and would welcome you. Go enjoy!!! bon voyage!!!

Are there Children's Menus avaiable in the dining rooms? We'll have our 11 year old and 8 year old with us, and are looking forward to introducing them to a dining experience that differs from Disney's "Magic" (the only other ship they've sailed on).

Also, while I'm at it, will my son (the 8 year old) need a tux, or can we get by with just a suit? At the rate he's going, He'd out-grow it before we'd leave Southhampton.

Thanks!

Are there Children's Menus avaiable in the dining rooms? We'll have our 11 year old and 8 year old with us, and are looking forward to introducing them to a dining experience that differs from Disney's "Magic" (the only other ship they've sailed on).

(Also, while I'm at it, will my son (the 8 year old) need a tux, or can we get by with just a suit? At the rate he's going, He'd out-grow it before we'd leave Southhampton.(/quote)

Thanks!

I am sure a suit will do fine, or even a shirt with a little bow tie for an 8 year old. If the children are well behaved they would be welcome anywhere on the ship. If not---they would not be tolerated even in the Lido. Mind you that should apply to adults as well don't you think? My opinion is they should be taught to be polite at home then they can go anywhere at anytime. Hope you all have a wonderful time

Coolgran:D

I would rather have your children with you dinning at the QG than having them loose on the ship "all by themselves":D

I think the "play zone" have function at night too, which allows the kids dine together under the youth staff supervision and continue with their night activities.

I would have thought that if they are still needing a children's menu, then they belong elsewhere.

However, bear in mind that in the Queen's Grill you can have what you want. They'll certainly be happy to serve things without sauce, or with different vegetables etc - that's standard.

Let them do the whole experience. On the asssumption that they are well behaved, the staff will be looking to make them happy - as they do with everyone.

Eleven and eight should be old enough to enter into an adult experience.

Also, while I'm at it, will my son (the 8 year old) need a tux, or can we get by with just a suit? At the rate he's going, He'd out-grow it before we'd leave Southhampton.

Thanks!

Our children are the same ages as yours, and they too have sailed the Magic. Also the Wonder and HAL Volendam. When we sail the QM2 in 2008 they will be 9-12.

Interestingly enough, both kids have had enough of the Disney experience and they requested something more sedate. I thought they would want Royal Carib, but they researched the cruise lines and picked HAL, which was met with great cruising success.

Now they are heavily focused on the QM2 via internet, books, and the Cunard DVD. We have also taken them to the shipyard in France where the QM2 was built which sparked their interest. As our children are so close in ages I would be very interested in emailing as to your experiences on board and any tips for the trip.

Our email is oceanliner@sbcglobal.net

OceanLiner: To paraphrase Miss Manners: the best way to civilize children is to expose them to civilization. By all means have them dine with you in the QG, it will teach them that the rewards for their already good behavior will only increase with continued good behavior.

About tuxes: tuxedoes for both or neither; never, never for just one.

They will be complemented by vacuous adults who never learned that correct behavior shouldn't be considered extraordinary. They should say only "Thank you", and turn to you to add any further comment, if any.

Dining in the QG is about enjoying great food, elegantly presented, in a lovely space. Encourage them to share their opinions with you.

Bon appetit to you all.

I would have thought that if they are still needing a children's menu, then they belong elsewhere.

However, bear in mind that in the Queen's Grill you can have what you want. They'll certainly be happy to serve things without sauce, or with different vegetables etc - that's standard.

Let them do the whole experience. On the asssumption that they are well behaved, the staff will be looking to make them happy - as they do with everyone.

Eleven and eight should be old enough to enter into an adult experience.

My little sister, as a child, did not like steak. It was often spaghettios. Dad was delighted! More steak for him. and cheaper to feed her.

Then she discovered Lobster!

Karie,

whose little sister is now a strict vegetarian.

Take them, we did. They had an absolute ball - entered into the whole experience with aplomb and carried it off in a cool stylish manner - the more formals the more they enjoyed it! As to others and staff - their presence attracted attention, compliments and service probably above and beyond what we might have enjoyed on our own!

We all throughly enjoyed the experience.

Ian

If they behave, sure. My folks took me everywhere.. and I knew.. one mis-step.. and I would be out of there in a flash!

Lobster.. LOL.. that reminds me of my first lobster. Having dinner with the top brass on base at the O Club. The waiter plunks down this 3 lb lobster in front of this little 6 year old (me). The adults were so busy yaking.. and the waitstaff busy with the senior officers.. everyone forgot I didn't know how to eat the darn thing! DUH!!

My parents had one rule, you may order from the adult menu, BUT you must finish your meal, no wasting food. When available.. it was rack of lamb for me.. and hopefully asparagas, too! Usually could talk Dad into Chateaubriand for two as well! Could turn out to be an expensive dinner tab with me along!

Thank heaven for ship dining rooms!

So by this logic, if an elderly person requires a special diet then they belong elsewhere.

When we took our daughter, they provided what ever we asked for. The even made suggestions for us.

As others have also said. They have paid to be in the Restaurant. They are entitled to eat there, no mater what their dietary requirements or their age.

If you don't want children in the same dinning room as you then there are plenty of adult only cruise options available.

If Cunard didn't want children onboard, why have they got one of the best childcare facilities at sea?

So by this logic, if an elderly person requires a special diet then they belong elsewhere.

When we took our daughter, they provided what ever we asked for. The even made suggestions for us.

As others have also said. They have paid to be in the Restaurant. They are entitled to eat there, no mater what their dietary requirements or their age.

If you don't want children in the same dinning room as you then there are plenty of adult only cruise options available.

If Cunard didn't want children onboard, why have they got one of the best childcare facilities at sea?

You have misunderstood what I meant. I may have explained it badly.

I'm saying that if children want train shapes for their food etc, then they are not going to get much out of the QG.

I can't see the need for a children's menu - as has been said the best education is to expose to civilisation.

I'm certainly NOT saying that they must not have anything cooked in a special way. I expect that - why shouldn't they? But I can't see that as a "childrens menu".

Archived