Victory Review, 8/03/06

Hi all! We just got back yesterday from the 4 day Victory cruise to Halifax ,Nova Scotia!

We had a really nice time, and I would do this cruise again.

There were a few little glitches, but nothing to mar the trip.

1st of all, Embarcation was a breeze! We took the train in from New Haven, Ct and arrived at Grand Central around 10:30am. The train ride was actually a little shorter than we had anticipated. We grabbed a cab to the pier (7.00 and change) and arrived there about 11:00. I think we waited around there for about a half hour so that they could board a group of travel agents for a special luncheon, and another group of women from the "red hat society".There was also a wedding party that boarded ahead of us. After that, they called us all up and we were processed in no time, and were boarding the ship at 11:50am!

We went directly to our room and found that it wasnt quite ready yet. so from there we went to the lido deck and had some lunch. They had a seafood and rice dish that was just scrumptious (with crayfish too) and a most delicious chocolate cake.

After that we went to get our dinner time changed, we had requested the early seating, but were given the late one.

We waited in a line for that but were accomodated.After doing some exploring (we ran into some other cruise critic posters, quite by accident) we went back to our room and our room steward introduced himself (Keith) and explained when and where he could be reached, should we need anything.

I thought that was really nice, and Keith kept everything spiffy for us the entire cruise.

After we set sail (our muster drill, thankfully, was kept very breif due to the extream heat) Everyone was on the top decks to watch the NY skyline and the statue of Liberty go by. Very impressive! We then got to our early dinner seating in time to go under the Veranzano bridge.

Dinner that first night was I have to say, not the greatest. DH and I both ordered the steak, and although it was cooked to our specifications, mine tasted very salty, and seemed to smell like liver.That was really the only bad meal, everything else for the rest of the trip was pretty decent.The burgers and hotdogs at the Mississippi BBQ were good, we didnt eat at the buffet except for that first afternoon of boarding. Never tried the pizza, although I saw alot of other people with it, (we live where the best pizza in the world is made, so we are pizza snobs) Did indulge in several cones of frozen yogurt, and did try the roast beef and brie from room service,(very good) Breakfasts have changed a little from other cruises, as they now feature an egg special that changes every morning. I had it once, when it was poached eggs with a creamy spinach(yummo!)

The lobster and prime rib on Formal night were both very good. Lobster was moist and cooked well, not dry at all. They still have the Grand Marnier souflee` and it was superb!

Our servers at dinner were very diligent and hard working. Friendly and not above a little chit chat.The liquer steward was very friendly and efficient.

The shows were all excellent, the dancers were so energetic! We enjoyed them all. The 2 comedians were good also, one was a MR . Delpizzo(dont recall his first name) and the other was Anthony Acosta who was really hilarious. I had seen him on another cruise and on Comedy Central as well.

I thought the bingo was a little obnoxious. Too much build up for too little playing. and over priced as well. 5-10 bucks per game.

We did visit a few of the lounges where there was a band playing and did a little dancing. I have to say though, that there were alot of little kids, even at the lounges and they were jumping from couch to couch and crawling around the floors under peoples feet and the parents just sat there and watched.There were also a few occasions when there was a group of young teens stampeding around the hallways and shouting.one time a group were loitering in the hallways so you almost had to step over them to get to the rooms.

Halifax: its a beautiful city, and very interesting, but I do NOT recommend the cruise lines Halifax tour and Lobster boil. The bus tour part wasnt bad, but they had to be kidding with the meal that was supposed to be the lobster boil! They gave everyone one lobster that around here would have to be thrown back ! One roll, a small amount of soggy salad, and 4 steamed mussels. Also a tiny piece of cake with bluberries and cream on top. For the price we paid, this was a rip-off. this tour was 99.00 each. There were families on there with several kids, how did they afford that?

Anyway, the last day of the trip was a georgeous day and we spent a good deal of time at the pool just enjoying the weather!

All in all, it was a nice, relaxing time. I found the people to all be nice and friendly, and constantly cleaning and polishing. The ship was beautiful and no hint of the foul-smell, that a previous poster had complained about. Anyway, if anyone has any questions, if I forgot anything, let me know, I will do what I can to answer them.

Happy sailing!;)

In your observation how dressy were guest during formal night? We(husband and 12 yr old son) plan on wearing dockers and polo shirts, and I planned on wearing skirts. Any problem in dinning room with this attire.

Thanks. Also if you have any pics would love to see them.

:) :) :)

Victory 8/12/06

JoJo, Formal night was not all that dressy, yes there were a few people all decked out, but for the most part the men wore shirts and slacks. A few, my DH included had on a sports jacket and tie. I noticed that most of the teens wore nice shirts and kackis. Most of the women had on dressy pants or skirts, I wore a dress, not real dressy . The rest of the time was casual, I did even see jeans in there. In fact, on port day, there were alot of jeans, including us.

As for the capers, if you have been on other carnival cruises, then they are all basically the same. some differences for times and days, but all in all, they were the same fleetwide.

Thank you for the information. I'm getting excited about our trip. Looking forward to spending time with my family. :D

My motto has always been, if you want to have a good time don't wait for someone to create it for you. I'm sure with this in mind we'll have a good time.

:)

Thanks for the review. It's always nice to read a good one.

I have a question. Was there any sort of cocktail party, either Captain's or Past guest offered?

I think the 5 day has one, not sure about the 4 day.

Thanks for any info.

SNOWCONE

We are on the August 26th cruise also;) ....myself, DH, DS and 2 DD, we are looking forward to some fun...... It was nice to hear postive things after reading so many negative things......but I guess it matters what u are looking for and what u are expecting......we are looking to have a good time and are going with a postive attitude. We booked 2 rooms a balcony for me and DH and an inside across the hall for the kids so at least we are starting out on the right track of fun and sanity.:p

ItaliaAmerCruzLady

Just a quick question...when u get off the ship in port are there places to book trips or should we do it thru carnival.....thanks:)

GMOM, I am sure you can get some kind of tour when you get into port. I have heard of other posters on here say that, But my hubby is paranoid, and we always book onboard, either right at the pursers desk, or on our Staterooms tv. I am sure we end up paying alot more this way, as Carnival tours are not cheap by any means. but maybe someone can direct you to how its done once off the ship.

I have also in the past, just gotten a taxi for a few hrs, to drive us around when I traveled with a handicapped friend.Cost about 50.00 and they were more than happy to show us thier islands, and some stops of interest.

Archived