Why do people decorate cabin doors?

tripman

Good Question...I could never figure it out...maybe they are too dumb to remember their deck and cabin number and figure decorating the door will help them find their cabin? Or maybe they can't find anything better to do on a cruise ship?:cool:

Some people just think it's more festive, but most I know that do this say it makes finding their cabin easier in the long halls. Also, if you invite people to your cabin, you can tell them to look for the ____________ .

IMHO, I've got enough to pack. Our cabin steward decorated for Valentine's Day for our then four year old son and a few more balloons for DH's 50th birthday, but I had requested this long before the cruise.

Our cruise was a group cruise of Elvis fans, so I made Elvis magnets for all. It did make the cabins easier to find. One got stolen near the end of the week and that person went right past their cabin.

:confused: I will never understand why anyone thinks its ok to be so rude in response to an innocent ???? I believe it goes to character. I can tell you one reason why a friend decorated their door. Her precious Mom was in the beginning stages of Alzheimers, and while still wanting to have some independence and dignity, she needed to be able to do as much on her own as she could.....so they put a door decoration up and as they would go down the corridor, "Mom" could easily find the right room and know it was her "home" for a week. There are some really valid reasons, other than just for pure fun and excitement over cruising. gg

Good Question...I could never figure it out...maybe they are too dumb to remember their deck and cabin number and figure decorating the door will help them find their cabin? Or maybe they can't find anything better to do on a cruise ship?:cool:

Actually on my last cruise at the Cruise Critics meet&greet door posters were handed out saying something like

HI, I'm --------CC online login name here*****

JOIN US AT CRUISECRITIC.COM

It served a FEW purposes, it gave cruisers knowledge of this great web site and the other CC'ers didn't have to carry around a note pad of who is in what cabin and if they were walking around and saw a poster they could pop in to say hello..also when I went up to the pool without my glasses I could just look for that poster and not have to strain to read numbers

Hmm now if I can only find a way to tell people we send here that ALL of us aren't nice people........

I have been decorating my cabin doors for 25 cruises - just because it's fun. You would be amazed at the people who have left notes and commented to me how great they look and how they look for my decoration and they know their cabin is near.

If it is not near a holiday, I use a small stuffed animal. Twice they have been

stolen.:( The last time, I put a note on the door stating "If you took my animal, I hope he brings you as much enjoyment as he did me". That note was signed by 10 of my 'neighbors' with notes of condolences! That friendliness is one of the the fun parts of cruising!:D

Hmm. Can we chalk this up as we caught Mark on a bad day? The lesson learned from this (and I should learn it too, probably) is that sometimes people do things that we don't understand, but they're still ok. In this case, the post would have best ended at "Good Question. I never could figure it out." It's what followed that put his foot in his mouth.

I just love doing it and enjoy all the friendly people who stop and tell us how much they've enjoy it and/or it's helped them find their cabin AND they wished they'd done the same.:o

When our door has been visible from the elevators, people really USED it as it told them which direction to turn........and they took the time to let us know that.

When we've had socks up the past two Decembers, it's been great. On one cruise the "kids club" put things into the socks daily and on the last day they stopped by to make sure we'd found the treats............they'd had a ball with that. We were glad THEY enjoyed them!

Too bad some people can't just ignore it if it causes such negative feelings and let others enjoy their activities/cruise. Why would it bother people so much?

On our first cruise I was amazed at all the Negative People who tried to complain to us about this and that.......rood, kids, smoking, clothing worn by some people, etc...........if you let them, they could really drag you down.

Travel is what you make it.............and we aim to make it fun!:)

If you don't like door decorations, don't look; it's as simple as that.

jlp20.....We're taking our first cruise in 10 days and I was thinking of decorating our door JUST so I could take pictures of it (since, yes I am an avid scrapbooker) I thought it would make a cute page.

I think if decorating the door makes people find their cabin easier or just makes them happier or for whatever their reason is, it really shouldn't make a bit of difference to anyone. If I, or someone else decorates their door, I am sure it will make someones day and ruin another's. If it makes you smile, then it would make my day, if it makes you complain, then get a life.

I just don't understand why people have to nit-pick about everything. You are on vacation. Enjoy it. Who cares about a door decoration, who cares about the person who doesn't have the "right" shoes to match their outfit, who cares if someone filled up their plate way to high at the buffet. This is their vacation too and can enjoy it the eay "they" want to. I understand it's your vacation too, but why wouldn't you just want to mind your business and enjoy it instead of complaining? I'll just never know. :)

jlp20.....We're taking our first cruise in 10 days and I was thinking of decorating our door JUST so I could take pictures of it (since, yes I am an avid scrapbooker) I thought it would make a cute page.

I think if decorating the door makes people find their cabin easier or just makes them happier or for whatever their reason is, it really shouldn't make a bit of difference to anyone. If I, or someone else decorates their door, I am sure it will make someones day and ruin another's. If it makes you smile, then it would make my day, if it makes you complain, then get a life.

I just don't understand why people have to nit-pick about everything. You are on vacation. Enjoy it. Who cares about a door decoration, who cares about the person who doesn't have the "right" shoes to match their outfit, who cares if someone filled up their plate way to high at the buffet. This is their vacation too and can enjoy it the eay "they" want to. I understand it's your vacation too, but why wouldn't you just want to mind your business and enjoy it instead of complaining? I'll just never know. :)

I agree. People should live in the moment and not worry about what the "other" cruisers are doing...I am on board for a good time. I believe we all know someone who acts the same way on shore. Why would they change their stripes simply because they are on vacation. It is a waste of energy.:)

BECAUSE IT IS FUN AND SILLY!!!!!:D AND BECAUSE ON OUR UP COMING CRUISE IT IS GOING TO BE A FUN WAY TO KNOW WHICH CABINS HAVE OUR FRIENDS IN THEM.....BEING WE HAVE SOMETHING LIKE 15 CABINS NOW!!!:D

I HAVE TO SAY I AGREE WITH THE PEOPLE THAT REPLIED....RELAX, BE HAPPY, SMILE AND SAY HI TO FELLOW CRUISERS!!! LEAVE THE GRUMPS AT HOME WHERE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY CAN MOST ENJOY THEM!!!!:p

We decorate our door because it is fun! or.. it annoys some people..

We have decorated our balcony when we have one. The last cruise we decorated Mrs Spaceguy's daughter's door as it was her first cruise! We left a note pad and people wrote her notes all week.

Our next cruise is in a few weeks on the Mariner and we have an inside promenade cabin. We get to decorate an inside window this time as well!!

We decorate our door because it is fun! or.. it annoys some people..

We have decorated our balcony when we have one. The last cruise we decorated Mrs Spaceguy's daughter's door as it was her first cruise! We left a note pad and people wrote her notes all week.

Our next cruise is in a few weeks on the Mariner and we have an inside promenade cabin. We get to decorate an inside window this time as well!!

Hmmmm......Christmas lights on our balcony. Never thought of that. J

Yipee! I had thought about just putting my CC magnet on the cabin door but I just remembered - we're going to be cruising over Christmas! How great is that?? Even though my DH said he didn't want me 'junking up' the cabin door now I can do it in the name of holiday spirit. Oh this is so fun and it's our first cruise too.

I'm so happy about finding CruiseCritic!! This is gonna be the best Christmas ever. :D

I bought two of the cutest felt, decorated socks at the dollar store which we had many positive comments about.............

and before packing to come home, I asked our Cabin Steward if he'd like them for his cabin. He was THRILLED, just so tickled.

I was thinking they don't have much space so they couldn't have Christmas Decorations stashed away and that these socks wouldn't take much room.

We tucked extra tip $ inside for a surprise.

;)

It makes me want to decorate our door for the Kingston Trio cruise....I have a great picture of my husband with one of the former members of the group!! I think I will make a copy of it and laminate it to post it on our door!! ;)

I plan on decorating our door for this cruise. I think it's just fun. We did it for our halloween cruise last year. Made it so much easier to find the room also helped those down from us find their's. hehehehe Now to figure out what to decorate this one with.

Archived