Walking tour of artwork?

Baseball Lover

Don't know about guidebooks, but guests on the Westerdam can now pick up iPods that have guided tours of the artwork onboard. Right now it's limited to the Westerdam, but HAL hopes to have it on all ships by the end of the year.

I read that article about the iPods as well and from what I read, HAL intends to make that available on all ships. It's a free service and I applaud HAL for making it availabe! What a great way to get a little "Culture" in your system! :D

I just read an update on this yesterday. It's coming to more ships but it's currently only available on the Westerdam (although with the way things change that info could be obsolete already, lol)

We found a "huge" notebook that tells about each piece of artwork and as I started thinking about it, I believe the notebook was in the area where they had "art" displayed for sale...............not in the Library, but in that other area................

A art field trip of the whole ship really is amazing; otherwise you just seem to walk past it. Only on HAL, it seems, do they have such treasures that they share with the passengers.

For KAYEF...

We enjoyed a similar experience when we sailed on Cunard's QE2. There is great "art" displayed throughout the ship, but in addition, there are many display cases full of antique & collectible ship memorabilia. If I recall correctly, there was a "walking tour" conducted by the QE2's Social Host & Hostess dressed in "period" clothing called the "Heritage Trail", which outlined the course CUNARD/WHITE STAR played throughout maritime history.

We thoroughly enjoyed that experience on the QE2 and are avidly looking forward to something similar on the WESTERDAM this October.

Debjo

You can ask for a book describing the art on board at the front desk. There are just print-outs but very interesting. I have one for the Statendam and Ryndam.

As stated before, there generally is a guided art tour, but the self-guided tour allows you to do it anytime.

Archived