Cabin Question: Fantasy

MeanMachine

Hey all, my wife.... errr DW and I are going on our first cruise 9/7 on the Fantasy. We have cabin E85 (Inside Empress Deck a couple doors down from the information desk).

Is this an OK cabin? Just thought I'd see what some thought.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses! I really didn't know whether it was good or not. I'm really stoked about going, 9/7 can't get here fast enough! :D I really don't have a clue as to what to expect except from the wealth of information I have gathered here. I think my DW thinks I'm obsessed with all the information I have come accross. Though I think she will be a little more appreciative after we go!

Thanks again.

Hi Meanmachine, I don't know if you found them but I have a photo album and review of the Fantasy cruise. There is a photo link and a review link in my signature below.

I do like you and look for as much info as I can get before the cruise!:D

I was in Empress 151 down and across the hall. You have a great cabin, no worries. There are advantages to being where you are on an upper deck. You'll have a very short walk to the pool, the dining room or the nearest bar. You won't even need the elevators since most of your frequent destinations will be within 3 decks.

I was in Empress 151 down and across the hall. You have a great cabin, no worries. There are advantages to being where you are on an upper deck. You'll have a very short walk to the pool, the dining room or the nearest bar. You won't even need the elevators since most of your frequent destinations will be within 3 decks.

Awesome, sounds perfect to me! Thanks

Hi Meanmachine, I don't know if you found them but I have a photo album and review of the Fantasy cruise. There is a photo link and a review link in my signature below.

I do like you and look for as much info as I can get before the cruise!:D

I think I was looking at your pictures and reading your review as you posted this. Thanks, one of the best I've ready yet especially with the pictures.

We're thinking about getting our own snorekling equipment as well, any suggestion on where to get some? Also, are the snorkeling vests really necessary if you are snorkeling off of the beach and are a decent swimmer?

Yes, I'd get your own snorkeling equipment if you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling. Any sporting goods store will suffice. I saw some nice stuff at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day but I'm sure you can go to The Sports Authority or Target as well. No need to spend over $100 on the mask at a Dive shop. We were really glad to have our own mask and snorkels as they passed out that cheap, used stuff on our excursions. Fins are entirely unnecessary and take up valuable luggage space. Skip 'em.

I don't think you'll need a life vest if you plan on snorkeling off the beaches. Even when they took us out to a reef off-shore, they gave us the kind that are uninflated. They don't have any buoyancy initially, so you can still dive down to get a closer look at things. There's a little mouth-piece attached to the vest that you can blow into to inflate if necessary. Some weak swimmers blew theirs up, but most people didn't.

There's not much of an undertow or current at any of the places we went. If the weather is bad and the waves are kicking, you may want to consider a vest but there's always one available to rent. In Half Moon Cay, 75% of the snorkeling area is less than 5 feet deep so you can always stand up.

Yes, I'd get your own snorkeling equipment if you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling. Any sporting goods store will suffice. I saw some nice stuff at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day but I'm sure you can go to The Sports Authority or Target as well. No need to spend over $100 on the mask at a Dive shop. We were really glad to have our own mask and snorkels as they passed out that cheap, used stuff on our excursions. Fins are entirely unnecessary and take up valuable luggage space. Skip 'em.

I don't think you'll need a life vest if you plan on snorkeling off the beaches. Even when they took us out to a reef off-shore, they gave us the kind that are uninflated. They don't have any buoyancy initially, so you can still dive down to get a closer look at things. There's a little mouth-piece attached to the vest that you can blow into to inflate if necessary. Some weak swimmers blew theirs up, but most people didn't.

There's not much of an undertow or current at any of the places we went. If the weather is bad and the waves are kicking, you may want to consider a vest but there's always one available to rent. In Half Moon Cay, 75% of the snorkeling area is less than 5 feet deep so you can always stand up.

Great! Thanks for the input.

I think I was looking at your pictures and reading your review as you posted this. Thanks, one of the best I've ready yet especially with the pictures.

We're thinking about getting our own snorekling equipment as well, any suggestion on where to get some? Also, are the snorkeling vests really necessary if you are snorkeling off of the beach and are a decent swimmer?

meanmachine, do you have a Sam's Club near you? They have a pretty good Body Glove snorkel sets for around $35. We all had a set of these this last trip and they were great.

Mean Machine, You might want to call your TA and check to see if your rate went down. Ask her to call Carnival directly and ask...The booking system TA's use did not show these new discounts. I called for the same date and we were offered to upgrade to a 6D +$90 back or stay where we are, a 4E +$190 back in the form of an on board credit. It is worth a phone call. It made my day! -Tamara (If I save you BIG $$$ you can buy me a foo foo drink-LOL)

Thanks for the responses! I really didn't know whether it was good or not. I'm really stoked about going, 9/7 can't get here fast enough! :D I really don't have a clue as to what to expect except from the wealth of information I have gathered here. I think my DW thinks I'm obsessed with all the information I have come accross. Though I think she will be a little more appreciative after we go!

Thanks again.

We are getting off the ship when you are getting on...my DH thinks the same as your DW...however he always says after the trip that it was worth it since I prepared. If I left it up to him we might not even get on the ship!!!

meanmachine, do you have a Sam's Club near you? They have a pretty good Body Glove snorkel sets for around $35. We all had a set of these this last trip and they were great.

Were these sets snorkel, mask and fins or snorkel and mask only??

Mean Machine, You might want to call your TA and check to see if your rate went down. Ask her to call Carnival directly and ask...The booking system TA's use did not show these new discounts. I called for the same date and we were offered to upgrade to a 6D +$90 back or stay where we are, a 4E +$190 back in the form of an on board credit. It is worth a phone call. It made my day! -Tamara (If I save you BIG $$$ you can buy me a foo foo drink-LOL)

Indeed, will do! Thanks!

Yeah, I've got a membership. I'll check it out, thanks!

Mean machine I am dying to know....did you save any money or get an on board credit??-Tamara

Looks like I owe you a drink! Got an upgrade to an Ocean View on the Empress Level! It was that or a $50 credit, I took the window. :D

Looks like I owe you a drink! Got an upgrade to an Ocean View on the Empress Level! It was that or a $50 credit, I took the window. :D

OV is sooo worth it! :D I think you'll really enjoy having a window so the sunlight can help you wake up slowly in the morning and you can watch the ocean going by.... :) Only thing better is a balcony. Some would say you'll get spoiled with a balcony and not be able to go back to just on OV, but I'm living proof that you CAN in fact go back and be okay! Heck, as long as I'm on the ship I don't really care what kind of cabin I've got. :p Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Were these sets snorkel, mask and fins or snorkel and mask only??

I saw some Body Glove sets in my local Sports Authority today -- they included a mask, snorkel AND fins. I don't remember if they were $49 or $59 They also had some US Diver snorkel, mask and fin sets for $39 (without the carrying case). I held off, because I wanted to check on here first to find out if I'd be better off getting one of these inexpensive sets, vs. taking my luck with the rental stuff. As a first-time snorkeler, there's no way I'm going to invest serious money in equipment, but I'd prefer to have my own if I can get a passable set without spending a lot of money.

EDIT -- I guess the Body Glove set was $59.00, because that's the price that shows online.

Archived