Costa Maya Cruise Ship Shopping Center

samtig

Went to Costa Maya several years ago. At the cruise ship shopping center were some of the most pushy, rude vendors I've seen anywhere, including many other towns in Mexico. I got cursed at one time when I was walking by, not even looking at merchandise. Vendor asked me to look at something as I was going by & I said no thank you, very politely, & was then cursed at. We immediately took a taxi to the beach to get out of that place! Have things improved there?

Went to Costa Maya several years ago. At the cruise ship shopping center were some of the most pushy, rude vendors I've seen anywhere, including many other towns in Mexico. I got cursed at one time when I was walking by, not even looking at merchandise. Vendor asked me to look at something as I was going by & I said no thank you, very politely, & was then cursed at. We immediately took a taxi to the beach to get out of that place! Have things improved there?

I can't say I have heard vendors cursing at tourists but it is still your basic shopping stop with much effort put into separating your $$$'s from your wallet. We headed to town right away and spent a wonderful day at Pez Quadro's on the south end.

Was there in July and sorry to report but they are still very aggressive. (didn't hear any cursing though). When I have been in Jamaica they are very aggressive as well but they seem to take it better when you say No, I did pick up on the resentment and anger in Costa Maya.

I was there in April and didn't encounter anything like this. The vendors were very "interested" but also very polite. Maybe it was because it was just me and my 11 yo daughter? We found them to be very helpful and very willing to bargain on the items we were interested in.

Cheryl

4 cruises under my belt (not much to some) but I have seem pushy venders everywhere, nothing like Haiti last year and it was actually sad that the people were so desperate to sell thier wares that they practically begged. I guess you have to put things into perspective..how lucky are we to be on a cruise!?

Just my opinion:)

MAO

Archived