Verandah size on Vista class ships

Baseball Lover

In looking at the deck plans and there seems to be a big difference in the depth of the verandahs in the Verandah Staterooms. I'm not trying to make a decision on a cabin... I'm just curious about the different sizes. If anyone remembers what cabin they had and the depth of the verandah, I'd love to hear about it. Also, if someone knows how to 'decode' the deck plans to determine the depth, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

(I can't help it, my Dad was an Engineer... :)

I would also like to know if there is any difference in the verandah sizes between VC, VD and VE. Thanks.
Those are all the same size, unless they are on deck 4 or in the aft or forward locations. For some reason the cabins were made a tad smaller and the extra space went to the verandaha.

We stayed in 4135 and 5102 and they were different like described above.

I questioned the CD about this and he said he didnt know why but 4 had bigger verandas and smaller cabins.

We liked the smaller cabin and bigger veranda much better, as we spens alot of time out there :)

Sorry dont know the exact measurements :(

Here's a suggestion: You can call HAL and give them the cabin number & they will tell you the square footage of the cabin & the balcony. There are some differences that do not show on the diagrams. Keep in mind that the aft balconies are usually larger. ;)

I've only cruised on Princess so far (don't shoot me), but am considering the Noordam for Alaska next year.

Are all the verandahs on the Vista class covered or are they exposed like some of the Princess balconies? Does it vary by deck? For Alaska I really want a protected, covered verandah.

We were on the Sapphire Princess in a mini-suite and the balcony was completely exposed to the decks above which I didn't like.

Thanks in advance for helping this hopefully new HAL cruiser.

Unlike the Princess' Grand-Class ships, HAL's Vista Class verandahs do not cascade down the side - they are stacked vertically, same depth on Deck 8 as Deck 6. Deck 5 midship verandahs are probably 12-18" shallower to allow clearance for the lifeboats below, but those in the forward and aft sections are as deep as those above. Deck 4 verandah's at the forward and aft section are about 12-18" deeper than those above to match up to the width of the hull below.

Of course, the aft facing verandahs all cascade down - no privacy whatsoever - although the Deck 8 verandahs on Zuiderdam/Oosterdam and Westerdam are covered by the Lido above unlike Noordam which is open above.

Hope this helps!

Brian

any ideas as to the standard width of the verandas, VA-VF? We have an aft on O'dam in October, 5182 if I remember correctly, which I know will be deeper and visible from those standing on the lido facing aft. Couldnt resist after I saw Lisa's photos. I'll try to emember to get some rough dimensions while we're aboard.

Unlike the Princess' Grand-Class ships, HAL's Vista Class verandahs do not cascade down the side - they are stacked vertically, same depth on Deck 8 as Deck 6. Deck 5 midship verandahs are probably 12-18" shallower to allow clearance for the lifeboats below, but those in the forward and aft sections are as deep as those above. Deck 4 verandah's at the forward and aft section are about 12-18" deeper than those above to match up to the width of the hull below.

Of course, the aft facing verandahs all cascade down - no privacy whatsoever - although the Deck 8 verandahs on Zuiderdam/Oosterdam and Westerdam are covered by the Lido above unlike Noordam which is open above.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much. I feel like I'm starting all over trying to learn everything I can about HAL.

We had cabin 4045 & were very pleasantly surprised by the large balcony. Sorry, Brian, but it's more like 2.5ft deeper, not just 12-18in. The verandah also has the plexiglass wall, so the view is unobstructed.

Check out Noordam's deck plans. Directly behind each of the elevator banks, just forward & aft of the "hump" there are 4 VD cabins that have these extended verandahs. Most of the balcony is covered because it is under the balcony on Deck 5, but that extra footage IS uncovered. You can stand at the railing, twirl around & look UP at your fellow pax. Of course, they can look DOWN at you. Meaning - don't stand out there in your birthday suit on a moonlit night ;) .

Can't speak for the balconies on the other Vistas as we haven't sailed in any of them. Someday.......:)

Archived