Our Emergency Kit....

bombero

We've heard many request on what would be handy to take on a cruise...

Here is our survival kit, that has come in handy many times....

First: You'll need two Zip-lock bags (freezer type are stronger)

In the first bag place at least a dozen each (in separate snack-bags): Dramamine, Asprin, Tylenol, Advil, Zantac (or equivalent), Immodium AD, or any other OTC medication you favor, or use. (The above are very costly on the ship and you're S.O.L. if the shops are closed)

In the second bag place the following: Band-aides (at least a dozen assorted), Tweezers, Scissors, Nail Clippers, Small multi-use Pocket Knife (Swiss preferably), Can/Bottle Opener, Small Sewing Kit, Safety Pins, Rubber Bands, Book Matches, Pens, High-liter.

Also handy are: 3-way Gang Plug, 12' Extension Cord, Night-light, Deck of Cards, Several sizes of Zip-lock bags, Several (Tall Kitchen) Trash Bags for dirty, or damp clothes.

All of the above take up very little space and can be purchased at most Dollar Stores, Dollar General, or Flea Markets for very little. If you intend to travel a lot, you will use most of these items sooner, or later... Bombero..

Just make sure you pack bag #2 in your checked luggage.

I would cut the pain killers down to one selection. I would include an otc med for colds/sinus. Half the amount of bandaids, you can get additional if you need them. I've never taken tweezers, nail clippers (manicure, pedicure before I go) a very small pair of scissors we tuck into the outside pocket of the luggage, to clip off the cable ties. I've take a tiny mending kit, have never needed it, maybe two safety pins, never needed them. Corkscrew, absolutely a must, but a can opener? Never thought about taking rubber bands, never needed them. I've taken the highlighter pen several times, never used it. I have never had the need for an extension cord or a power strip. We don't smoke, no need for matches.

My first aid kit fits into a very small clear cosmetic bag. The other items I would pack into a zipper compartment in the checked luggage. We find the ships to be quite civilised, you do not have to be prepared like a camping trip. I like to pack with the thought that I will take what I know we will absolutely need, leaving home the "what ifs".

We take a couple ziploc bags for damp stuff, sorting out what may still be clean and pack it in one section of the suitcase. We don't pack the dirty laundry in plastic, because everything is dirty.

Just wanted to show there are different methods of packing, people have to do what is comfortable for them. I'm more comfortable taking less stuff to haul around.

Have a great cruise!

All our supplies fit into 2 Zip-lock sandwich bags and can be stowed in any crevice in our suit cases.

I'm sorry Happy ks, if I implied that you must take along everything that we take. I assumed people would tailor it to their own needs, but it is a good place to start from...

I would NEVER leave home without my highlighter :) -- I mark on the Daily Compass (rccl) all the different things i don't want to miss! Even with manicure/pedicure you never know when you might chip a nail... The other things take up so little room, it's almost silly not to take them. IMHO :)

Nancy

For those of you who are as blind as we are - take spare glasses/contacts. Husband sat on his glasses. Toddler kicked my glasses and broke them in half. In both of these instances, we were on land and spend a few hours at a glasses place for emergency repairs, but on the sea? You are out of luck.

I take a "medical kit" - not quite as many of each item as suggested, but I wouldn't leave home without my favorite OTC meds. And, I always take a manicure kit of sorts. Even with a fresh manicure, nails break and need repair. And when I have a hang nail or a nail that snags, I go nuts until I can fix those very minor problems.

Just be sure to pack the sharp "weapons" in the checked baggage. I've lost more manicure scissors through careless packing.

I guess I sounded a little snotty, sorry if I offended you. I've always thought that people who have cruised before should make it clear that you should not pack every item you see listed in packing lists. You would not have room for clothing and shoes if you followed some of the lists I've read on this board. So many times I've read here on these boards people who write, OK, I've got my duct tape and my bungie cord, now what do I need it for? Many times I've read lists that repeat the same items in 3 different categories.

I have a box full of "packing list things" I have purchased because I read about them on lists here on these boards. I wish I had the $$ I spent on some of these items.

Smudges Mom, I too learned the hard way to take extra lenses/glasses.

The one I take has more items in it than yours, but I have severe allergies so must take other items also.

One item we have ended up using everywhere we go that wasn't on the list you gave is 'Sting Eze'. Takes away the itchies everyone gets from the sand flea or mosquito bite. Every mosquito out there seems to find my DH. :D

Archived