Excursion suggestions for 4 and 7 yr. olds

Memphis Mom

We are taking the Carnival Miracle this Thanksgiving as part of a large anniversary celebration for my parents. Having said that, we're not all doing our excursions all together and so we are looking at what to do with our little nuclear family of 2 parents (early 40s) and 2 kids, ages 7 and 4. We'll be going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya. Would love some ideas on what's good to do and what should be skipped. Also would like to know what is better to book through Carnival and/or what we can do independently (my hubby is nervous about not being covered by the cruise line if there is a problem).

Thanks.

We are taking the Carnival Miracle this Thanksgiving as part of a large anniversary celebration for my parents. Having said that, we're not all doing our excursions all together and so we are looking at what to do with our little nuclear family of 2 parents (early 40s) and 2 kids, ages 7 and 4. We'll be going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya. Would love some ideas on what's good to do and what should be skipped. Also would like to know what is better to book through Carnival and/or what we can do independently (my hubby is nervous about not being covered by the cruise line if there is a problem).

Thanks.

In Cozumel, in May, my 3-yr-old son and I did a snorkeling/catamaran excursion (through the cruiseline RC) and had fun. Our tablemates took a taxi to Paradise Beach and had a lot of fun, too. So, either of those are good ideas for your family. Never been to Belize or Costa Maya, but went to Grand Cayman in May. We did the half-day rays and reefs excursion through Nativeway. It was OK, but really rushed. The people who have had time to do the full-day excursion rave about it! We weren't there long enough though.

Anyway, I highly recommend you check out the cruisecritic boards for each of those ports for more ideas!

Have fun,

Shellie

I have 7 grandkids with me (plus 5 adults) on the Legend of the Seas from Tampa departing 12/16/2006. We go to the same ports as The Miracle. Since we have ages from 2 to 17, we will be splitting the family for some excursions. We have decided the 2 through 9 years old will be doing the pirate boat excursion in Grand Cayman. Older ones are doing a Stringray City and Snorkle tour. The whole family is doing a beach day in Cozumel at Paradise Beach. In Costa Maya we plan on leaving the 6,7 and 9 year old on the ship and the rest of us are doing a ruins tour. For Belize, I am staying onboard with the little kids and the older ones will be doing the zipline/cave tubing combo. Hope this gives you some ideas. You will love the Miracle. I would be on it instead if the price difference wasn't so great.

Dawnrae

In January, I cruised with my two children who were 4 & 8. We went to a beach in Costa Maya which I won't recommend to you.

In Belize we left the kids in the children's program and went cave tubing. In my opinion, there wasn't much for children to do in Belize. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

In Cozumel we went to Playa Mia which we loved. We rented a car and drove there ourselves. We also drove all over the island and did a little shopping. I would highly recommend Playa Mia for your children.

We haven't been to Grand Cayman yet but we are planning on doing the Sting Ray City tour.

Have a wonderful time!!! Misty

Hi! We were on the Miracle in February with a 3 and 7 year old.

In Grand Cayman we booked the Stingray City, Reef and Rum Point tour with Native Way. The 3 year old didn't snorkel, but did get in the water to see the stingrays (DH held her). The Rum Point portion of the trip was terrific. Beautiful beach and great lunch! Great outfit and we had an amazing day (have the dvd to prove it!)

In Belize, we took our only Carnival tour, and were glad of it. We had been there before, and did our own thing, but the tendering took so much time, I was anxious the whole day about missing the ship. Most recently, there were large swells that day that really, really slowed down tendering. We were supposed to leave at 8:30, and we didn't get on the tender until 9:45. I have no idea what time they started letting people who weren't booked through the ship off.

We did the River Walace and Altun Ha excursion. The river portion was a little on the long side for the kids, but it was otherwise great. Another good lunch. We didn't spend much time at Altun Ha, but it was adequate. You can actually climb one of the structures there.

In Cozumel, we did the Atlantis sub and then grabbed a cab to Paradise Beach. The sub was cool, but pricey, and probably lost on the 3 year old. Paradise Beach is great for/with kids.

In Costa Maya we went to Chacchoben with David and Ivan. (My 7 year old loves "ruins".) This was just a great, great tour. I missed some of the narrative as the 3 year old wondered off to explore, and of course I followed, but DH & DS said it was just wonderful, and what I heard was really interesting. When we got done, we had the choice of being taken back to the ship or being dropped bach off at Majahual. We did the latter, and the kids swam and we had lunch, and DH and I took turns shopping.

It was a great cruise, and I think you'll really like the Miracle. Enjoy!!

In Cozumel with Grandkids 3, 4, 5, 5 & 13 we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. Everyone had a great time and it was easy and relaxing.

On Grand Cayman, we went with Captain Marvin on the 2-stop snorkel and stingray tour. Again, we enjoyed the tour. The little kids tried snorkeling, but it was a kind of cool morning (maybe 70) with a little chop on the water, so they kind of just jumped in, got bobbed around by the waves, and got right out. Only one 5-year-old would get near the sting-rays (they need to name them something else!), with her dad holding her. Even though they didn't do the snorkeling or rays, the kids absolutely loved the boat and the ride out to the reef and back. They especially liked the 'free' fruit punch!

I haven't been to Belize or Costa Maya yet, but we're going in Dec.--sans kids.

I would not recommend any long tours involving too much time in a bus or van or with lots of just sightseeing, or shopping, with kids, especially the four-year-old. Just not of much interest to young children, normally, and probably not much fun for you trying to keep them happy.

Archived