Legend Review-frank & Objective

Grumm

We returned on Saturday from a 14 night Western Med cruise aboard Legend. I'll start with the few negatives:-

1. We made a joint booking with friends from England whom we see once a year on our cruise. We had asked for late dining. We noticed at the Terminal that our Sea Passes confirmed that we were at the same table, but on different sittings! The Maitre'D could or would not sort anything out for us, so we ate in the Windjammer every night. We were both in suites and we are Platinum members, so we felt somewhat aggrieved, especially as we booked to go on the Navigator next year, again in suites.

2. There were 460 children under the age of 18 aboard and they completely monopolised the pool, hung about the stairways, rode the elevators....etc...etc. No big deal, really, but for our personal taste 460 is just too many.

Apart from the above, the cruise was wonderful. We had particularly good weather and the Windjammer food was totally acceptable. The itinerary was faily varied as were the excursions. The tortoise farm in Ajaccio (corsica) was a bit of a waste of time, but the white water rafting in Vigo was an unbelievable experience and one which we plan repeating next year. HOWEVER, if anyone has difficulty walking long distances over uneven terrain, they should avoid this trip. It was not made clear that there would be such an arduous and steep walk after the rafting is over.

The chair hog police were in evidence every day and did well in collecting towels, not to mention ejecting kids from the Solarium pool.

Our stateroom was kept immaculate by Grace our attendant. I didn't really notice much evidence of the age of the ship apart from on the putting green which is in serious need of some TLC.

Hope this is of some use to those of you lucky enough to be going aboard Legend in the near future. I will be happy to answer any questions any of you may have.

Alan

We are going on 19th August and one of our stops is Vigo. I really like the sound of the white water rafting. Would a 13 year old boy be able to do the trip?

Yes. There were a few kids on board most of the rafts. Just make sure you have no fear of water as several people came out of the rafts. It's perfectly safe as you wear life vests. The river is beautiful and flows through a gorge separating Portugal and Spain. If any of you are afraid of heights, DO NOT do the optional jump into the water half-way through the trip. I did it, but when I was up on the cliff waiting to jump my knees were shaking!

Hope this helps.

Alan

Hi,

I would like to hear more details on why they could not get you seated together in the dining room.

Were you open to either seating? Did you bug them multiple times? Who would you talk to above the MatriD? To me the initial assignment is an error on their part and they should move mountains to get your 4 people together. I would have been requesting dinner in the specialty restaurent on them if they could not get me together in the dining room as originally requested. This is really too strange.

Hi,

I would like to hear more details on why they could not get you seated together in the dining room.

Were you open to either seating? Did you bug them multiple times? Who would you talk to above the MatriD? To me the initial assignment is an error on their part and they should move mountains to get your 4 people together. I would have been requesting dinner in the specialty restaurent on them if they could not get me together in the dining room as originally requested. This is really too strange.

Hi

We were told by the Maitre'D and by guest relations that the cruise was full and that there was nothing that could be done. We wanted second seating because of excursion times and also because that's what we booked (in October 2005, I might add). They eventually offered us 4 seats at a table of 4 which they were going to increase in size to an eight, but the people at the table for 4 objected, so we were left with the Windjammer. I intend to write to RCI with our complaint.

Alan

Yes, I thought that was very strange. Usually dinner is a big thing and you want to be seated at the right table, at the right time, with the right people at the right restaurant. As you say it was booked in 2005 - plenty time to make sure you had your requested seating. It looks bad that RCI couldn't accommodate quite a basic requirement. Makes you wonder about their commitment to customer satisfaction.

I'm sort of suprised that there were so many kids on board. I realize that school is not in session but generally the longer the cruise the less children there are on board. It would seem that if they were spending their time riding the elevators and hanging around the stairs the children's programs on board need some revamping since these kids appear to have nothing to do. We did a Med cruise last year on the Galaxy and I doubt that there were more than 25 children on board. The problem you had in the dining room is inexcusable. At least you still had a wonderful cruise.

2. There were 460 children under the age of 18 aboard and they completely monopolised the pool, hung about the stairways, rode the elevators....etc...etc. No big deal, really, but for our personal taste 460 is just too many.

Our stateroom was kept immaculate by Grace our attendant. I didn't really notice much evidence of the age of the ship apart from on the putting green which is in serious need of some TLC.

Hope this is of some use to those of you lucky enough to be going aboard Legend in the near future. I will be happy to answer any questions any of you may have.

Alan

We also had Grace last year and she is terrific!

The putting green on the Legend has been in need of a total makeover for the past 5 years. It's been a mess since started cruising on the Legend in '03!

460 children under 18!!! That's a lot!!

Did you have any Americans aboard??

Rick

Hi Rick

Yes there were some Americans onboard, but very few. The Windjammer was set up with a traditional British food section and although I am traditional and British, I don't go on a cruise to eat sausages and mashed potatoes!

Everyone seems surprised at the number of kids aboard. I know we certainly were. Jerry made a point about the kid's programme onboard. It seemed to me that the very small kids had their Adventure Ocean Club (or whatever it's called). The main problem was the "inbetweenies". Kids around 14 to 17. There didn't seem to be too much for them to do.

Having said all this, apart from the dining experience, everything was great and we can't wait to get on Navigator next year (16th June BEFORE the school holidays!)

Alan

Those people SUCK!

That is very judegemental. Why do they suck because they planned to have dinner just the four of them for the cruise? RCI messed so instead of two passengers being uphappy (nothing against the OP I would have been pissed) four sets of passengers should be?

Rather than saying they suck, ask this question. If they can turn a 4 person table into an 8 person table, why not simply add a 4 person table and eveyrone is happy?

Hi Rick

Yes there were some Americans onboard, but very few. The Windjammer was set up with a traditional British food section and although I am traditional and British, I don't go on a cruise to eat sausages and mashed potatoes!

Everyone seems surprised at the number of kids aboard. I know we certainly were. Jerry made a point about the kid's programme onboard. It seemed to me that the very small kids had their Adventure Ocean Club (or whatever it's called). The main problem was the "inbetweenies". Kids around 14 to 17. There didn't seem to be too much for them to do.

Having said all this, apart from the dining experience, everything was great and we can't wait to get on Navigator next year (16th June BEFORE the school holidays!)

Alan

Unfortunately no matter what RCI does that demographic (14 - 17) will NEVER be satisfied. Look their age group up in the dictionary and the definition will be "never satisfied". That is WAY to many kids!!!!!!

Unfortunately no matter what RCI does that demographic (14 - 17) will NEVER be satisfied. Look their age group up in the dictionary and the definition will be "never satisfied". That is WAY to many kids!!!!!!

It's not a question of never being satisfied. I think the basic problem is that there simply is not enough for teens to do on a cruise ship. Instead of a big sceen TV at home with 200 channels the cabin has a tiny TV with 6 channels. They can't hook their X-box in to the ships TV. They can't spend hours on-line for free like they can at home. They can't pick up the phone and call their friends. I really think that most of these kids are bored since there is nothing of real interest to them on the ship. While a Voyager class ship may offer a little more, I think that most ships have little to offer teens. Heck, on sea days I find myself geting bored since I have no interest in the art auction or the napkin folding class. If I was still a teen I would be going stir crazy.

Heck, on sea days I find myself geting bored since I have no interest in the art auction or the napkin folding class. If I was still a teen I would be going stir crazy.

Come on Jerry. Be fair! What about the arthritis seminars, the cellulite seminars and the wholly interesting talks by Professor Blahhh about the history of the next port of call? Surely most of the kids would flock to these?

Alan

That is very judegemental. Why do they suck because they planned to have dinner just the four of them for the cruise? RCI messed so instead of two passengers being uphappy (nothing against the OP I would have been pissed) four sets of passengers should be?

I agree with you entirely, however we managed to find out that the people at the table for four didn't know each other. One couple was from the USA and the other from the UK. I collated as much info as possible for my forthcoming letter to RCI.

Alan

When you sailed from Southampton was there a band playing and did the staff issue flags to wave?

What other tours did you do? We are interested in Rochefort & The Castle of Roche Courbon in La Rochelle; A Glimpse of Portugal, Guernsey Island Drive, Vigo Sightseeing & Bayona or the Samil Beach trip or (my favourite in light of your comments) the white water rafting.

Apart from the rafting can you recommend any of the others?

We are taking my 13 year old nephew and want to keep him busy onboard so he doesn't get in to any trouble. By the sounds of things there's not much for teenagers to do. It sounds as though the teen programme leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping he would be able to mix with kids from different countries and have a load of fun. Oh well, the best laid .........

When you sailed from Southampton was there a band playing and did the staff issue flags to wave?

What other tours did you do? We are interested in Rochefort & The Castle of Roche Courbon in La Rochelle; A Glimpse of Portugal, Guernsey Island Drive, Vigo Sightseeing & Bayona or the Samil Beach trip or (my favourite in light of your comments) the white water rafting.

Apart from the rafting can you recommend any of the others?

We are taking my 13 year old nephew and want to keep him busy onboard so he doesn't get in to any trouble. By the sounds of things there's not much for teenagers to do. It sounds as though the teen programme leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping he would be able to mix with kids from different countries and have a load of fun. Oh well, the best laid .........

I think your itinerary may be different to ours. We were on a 14 night Western Med cruise-Praia Da Rocha, Villefranche, Barcelona, Civittavecchia, Vigo, Lisbon, Gibraltar etc...I'm sure your nephew will find plenty to do with the rock-climbing, putting etc.

Unfortunately there was no band at Southampton We have sailed from there quite a few times and only had a band once.

Alan

Thanks Alan (grumm)

After reading your Legend review re dining. I thought better check ours.

We are sailing with friends on the Legend 26 Aug. I had done all the booking so the documents where sent to me. I checked thier docs

second seating as requested. I have just checked my own after your post, Main seating on mine. Went back to original conformation, all on second except our son who was shown has main seating. Rang Royal Caribbean was told that the travel agent would have to sort it out why!!! The travel agent as rung Royal Caribbean.and been told we are now all on second.

I will try now to get this in writing.

Regards

Stephen

I agree with you entirely, however we managed to find out that the people at the table for four didn't know each other. One couple was from the USA and the other from the UK. I collated as much info as possible for my forthcoming letter to RCI.

Alan

Alan, I'd rather be at a larger table if I didn't know anyone, better chance for good conversation. Really don't understand why those four would take that position.

It would be a major inconvenience for me to eat in the Windjammer for 15 nights, so I hope RCI sees your position.

Glad you enjoyed most of the cruise, you are really being kind here.

Mike

Hi, When we left Southampton on the Jewel a few years ago, there was no band however there was a

bagpipe and drum

plenty of music, those are loud, really was nice just don't stand really close for a picture:)

strangely on another cruise there was a bagpipe player in the harbor of Victoria. apparently this fellow would stand outside in the park on nice days and play for tips. Again very loud but very nice and fairly unique.

Oh yeah both where in traditional dress with kilts. Ah, the nice memories that come back when discussing vacations.:)

Hi, When we left Southampton on the Jewel a few years ago, there was no band however there was a

bagpipe and drum

plenty of music, those are loud, really was nice just don't stand really close for a picture:)

strangely on another cruise there was a bagpipe player in the harbor of Victoria. apparently this fellow would stand outside in the park on nice days and play for tips. Again very loud but very nice and fairly unique.

Oh yeah both where in traditional dress with kilts. Ah, the nice memories that come back when discussing vacations.:)

The ole memory failed me. It was at Harwich not South Hampton.

Alan,

Gosh I would have gone crazy! We were lucky to have our own table for 4 which was lovely. On the table next to us for 8 people a young couple never returned after the first night. We were told they decided to change to late sitting. How annoying that some folks managed to change over.

I would have hated eating in the windjammer every night. Although there was lots of choice, I didn't like eating on plastic plates.

I'm not big on complaining but your situation was out of order and iI hope you get on OK.

Archived