TSA helping Princess new wine policy

BarbaraP

Given that NO hijacking or attack has ever been thwarted at airport security checkpoints why would we think it would work now? This is another blow to one of our most important freedoms - the ability to physically move between one place and another. If one steps back from our security policies and compares them to Israel's air security policies, you can see that we are making a critical mistake in treating everyone like a potential terrorist, when the terrorist profile is so clear. Do we really feel safer when someone's grandmother is taken behind a screen to be physically searched because her underwire bra set off the alarms? Is a Chinese woman with an infant drinking formula likely to be bringing liquid explosives on board? How many freedoms will we give up for the illusion of safety before we do what our police do on a daily basis, which is look for the bad guys based on a physical description and likely activities and locations they might be in.
Your premise is incorrect.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least one, for certain. Does the name Hindawi mean anything to you?

For those to whom it does not, here is a potted summary. Mr Hindawi wished to travel to Tel Aviv, and to take his girlfriend with him, to meet his parents. They could not get seats on the same flights, so bought tickets on separate flights.

Mr Hindawi could have been searched to death on the basis of profiling, yet nothing found on him - as there was nothing to find.

His ultra-low-risk pregnant white Irish girlfriend, by this reasoning, would not have been subjected to such intense scrutiny. Yet she was unknowingly carrying the bomb that he had made, which was intended to bring down her flight. Fortunately, that was found at security.

This really happened. Mr Hindawi is still serving a 45 year prison sentence in the UK for this attempted attack.

And it demonstrates that uninformed commentators like Captain Cosmo ought to leave the security experts to do their jobs. There are reasons why things are being done they way they are.

It should also be noted that UK authorities have stated that among the group arrested a few days ago, were a native-born caucasian Briton with a typically English name who had converted to Islam, and two women, one of whom was 6-months into pregnancy.

It has also long been recogized that allowing people to carry liquids onto aircraft is a significant security risk.

From this cruiser's perspective, we should perhaps adopt a travel concept wherein we as individuals voluntarily severely limit the weight, amount, and number of items we bring to/from our cruises.

Anything I can do to make the least pleasurable part of cruising (the flying) less unpleasant is an acceptable tradeoff for me. I'm thinking that fewer items in fewer bags might ease the load during transit from home through the whole flight-cruise-flight vacation process. Thus, I intend to stuff one carryon size bag with the things I need most...check it onto the plane....carry it onto the ship...and reverse the process for the return trip home. I pick ships that have laundry facilities and use them. I don't lug alcohol 'cause they have it on the plane/ship. My formal gear will now go in my bag last, and if space allows.

The pre/post cruise flights and ship embarkation/disembarkation processes are part of my vacation and as such, the total vacation experience must be arranged for maximum fun and comfort.

It's a vacation away from home folks...perhaps we can leave more of our home stuff right there...at home. The times they are a changing. Just some thoughts. :)

I JUST WANNA SEE SOME ONE TOUCHING MY MAKE UP:mad:

In FLL on Thursday, the TSA, wearing their filthy gloves, contaminated all of my make up. After she had finished "inspecting" it( including opening and touching eye shadow, eyeliner, etc.) I told her to throw it in the garbage. Think about it a minute, they are wearing gloves which they may have used in the previous inspection to sort through a suitcase full of somebody else's dirty laundry, including underwear! This whole thing is totally out of control! Whay next? Flying naked?

Think about it a minute, they are wearing gloves which they may have used in the previous inspection to sort through a suitcase full of somebody else's dirty laundry, including underwear! This whole thing is totally out of control! Whay next? Flying naked?
Prefer to be blown up than to have someone inspect your baggage?

And so what if they've been inspecting someone else's underwear? The risk of anything harmful being carried across from one item to the next is pretty minimal. It's a bit of an overreaction to throw everything out, isn't it? It seems to take squeamishness beyond reasonable limits.

....wearing their filthy gloves, contaminated all of my make up. After she had finished "inspecting" it( including opening and touching eye shadow, eyeliner, etc.) I told her to throw it in the garbage....

You did the right thing instructing her to throw it out...no need to compound the problem with an eye infection. :(

Archived