Do you arrive the day prior to sailing?

KS17

As I mentioned in previous posts this is our very first cruise. We are booked on FOS next July.

At first I thought since the ship doesn't leave until 5pm and there are many flights leaving NY to Miami, we'd be able to take a morning flight and get there in plenty of time to board. (I'd also do online check-in as suggested on this site.)

Now after reading some other posts, I'm wondering if I should arrive in Miami the day before the cruise. What do most of you do?

Just in case we decide to stay one night in Miami, any good hotel recommendations that are reasonably priced and close to port?

We prefer to travel the day before, but then both times we've flown for a cruise, they ahve been leaving form a port on the far side of the country. If you are going to travel the day of, make sure your travel insurance covers you if something happens with your flight to keep you off the boat, or if your luggage fails to arrive.

Go early! I shudder to think what would have happened to us last trip if we didn't go a day early. Both of our flights (original and rebooked connecting flight) were delayed. The cost of a nights hotel is nothing for the peace of mind of not missing the boat.

Going the day before makes for a more enjoyable, less stressful trip. We stayed a day on the return trip as well for the same reasons. I didn't want to rush around and stress trying to make it to the airport. Made for a very restful trip.;)

I agree with all of the above replies.

In recent years we have started to travel the day before. The stress of airline cancellations and no luggage is reason enough to go down the day before.

My aunt and uncle flew on a direct flight from Boston to Miami. They arrived at the airport 2 hours early. They did not have luggage for the first three days of the cruise. You think, direct flight - no problem. This is not the case.

Also, the same aunt and uncle were staying in Florida after the cruise for two weeks with my uncles brother. When they went to claim their luggage after the cruise ----- it was missing. Someone from Texas had taken his bag by mistake. It is hard to believe that he had missing luggage both ways.

My husband and I are taking back to back cruises this October and we are planning to carry our luggage off the ship.

Have a great cruise.:)

We went 2 days before for our Alaska cruise. Good thing. They lost my husbands luggage and didn't locate it and get it to us intil the night before the cruise.

We are going to Fort Lauderdale a day early this weekend. We don't want to drive all the way from where we live in Miami the same day. :) Embassy Suites - Sunday night happy hour! Monday morning - minutes to the ship.

I live in Californa and always arrive the day before on East Coast cruises. However, I don't follow that rule when cruising on the baja side of mexico. Guess it's from overconfidence that we would never miss our flight or get delayed. In light of todays security level, better to be safe and allow for time.

Yes, make it easier on yourself and go the day before. Then you will be sure to make your cruise, you will be less stressed and you can start your vacation by sitting on South Beach. As far as affordable hotels, affordable and South Florida do not go in the same sentence together. If it is a really cheap price on a hotel, than you should be worried about what you are getting (unless you get a deal on a good hotel through Priceline/Hotwire).

We usually stay at either the Fountainbleau which is not near the port or the South Beach Marriott which is at the south end of South Beach and just a few miles from the port. If you want to be on the beach I would definitely recommend the Marriott. Good luck with your search.

We always fly in the day before and then take a late afternoon/early evening flight home on the day of debarkation. We either take a ship sponsored tour or rent a car for the day. In Tampa the port will hold your luggage until 4 p.m. if you want to explore the waterfront area.

Considering all of my cruises have been in the winter and I live in Canada, the answer is YES - we fly in a day or two early in case of inclement weather.

Having said that, my next cruise is November 5th - no threat of snowstorms to hold me back, and we booked the first flight out of Toronto to Fort Lauderdale - if something goes wrong with that flight....we can always catch the next one and still make it to the port in plenty of time. This is the first time I am flying in the day of the cruise - and only because it is not in the dead of winter.

My vote is for at least one day prior to sailing also.

I am a pilot for a major airline. I can attest to hundreds of people I have seen that missed their cruise due to flight delays. Sometimes the delay is due to something the airline did or did not do. Most times it is beyond anyone's control.

Have a great cruise.

Dr. Evil :)

legal disclaimer: the preceding was opinion and my opinion only.

I always arrive a day early even when leaving a port that is less than 2 hours from home. Its a great way to extend your vacation plus you can ease your mind of a lot of "what ifs"

I believe I am going to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Miami for my upcoming cruise. They have a special ... One night stay in a bay side room so you can see the port, a boat tour of Millionairs Row, and breakfast the morning you check out all for about $156 with tax.

If at all possible, fly in at least a day early.

My first 3 cruises I didn't fly in the day before. Arrived at the port stressed because of flight delays and worry whether luggage would arrive and felt rushed. Didn't really get to enjoy the ship that first day because we were exhausted from travel. My 4th cruise it was so nice to go in a day ahead. When the flight was delayed, I wasn't worried that I was going to miss my cruise, like I had been on previous cruises. Plus we got to be one of the first people on the ship, and enjoy the ship before everybody got there. My 5th cruise I couldn't fly in a day early, took the earliest flight of the morning from where I lived. We actually landed in Miami early (12:15 instead of 12:30) but there were no gates available, and we ended up not getting a gate until 12:45. Our luggage didn't come until after 2pm. It was almost 3 before we got to the ship. The Windjammer was closing, most of the spa appointments had already been taken, I didn't even have time for that first drink before muster drill. After that I'm more and more convinced that going in a day early is the way to go, and I didn't even go through the hassles that Jamie did last Friday.

I am a strong believer in arriving the day before sailing. My parents cruise quite a bit and usually don't schedule to arrive the day before and I always give them a hard time about it. But they've never had a problem. We have a cruise scheduled for Thanksgiving week and will fly in the day before (don't want to have to worry about busy airports that week!)....But on our last cruise (Oct 2005) we didn't build in that extra day due to time constraints. But we were lucky and didn't have a problem---especially considering the time of year---Wilma hit just 1 week after our return home! There are tons of things that can happen to interrupt your flight plans.....weather delays, delayed flights, planes with mechanical trouble, medical emergencies.......etc. Put your mind at ease and arrive the day before. The day you board the ship will be a no-stress first day of vacation! :)

Something else to think about. If you do fly in the day of sailing and are leaving yourself back-up flights, please make sure you check the loads on your original and back-up flights.

Planes are at near 100% capacity right now. If your original flight cancels you are placed on standby for another flight. If the next flights are full also you may not be able to get out of town for days.

Of course this also applies if you fly in a day or two before but at least you have one full day to get to port.

I'm not an expert on all the revenue passenger rules. I do believe the airlines will also try and put you on another carrier to get you to your destination.

Dr. Evil :)

A lot depends on if ANY airlines have available seats that day.

Archived