Upsell Fairy visits... take it yea or nea?

Preds

We're cruising this weekend on the Spirit, got the call from my travel agent today about an upsell from our Oceanview H guarantee rate cabins to Balcony BA cabins on deck 11.

The upsell is $250 a cabin (we have 2). Do you think it's worth it? Yea or nea? I've already tried negotiating it down or getting OBC but no luck.

The cabins available are below the spa/fitness center, which is a concern, and at the moment are adjoining but not connecting (working on that). Specifically 11532 & 11536.

Should I take it? I have an hour or 2 to decide most likely, since we have the Norwegian rep trying to bump the folks in the connecting cabin 11530 into 11536 so I can have the 2 connecting.

FTR, our existing H GTY was already upgraded to category E with full picture window instead of porthole, so really we're talking E to BA upgrade for $250 a piece.

Right now it's in limbo pending NCL's ability to move folks from one of the connecting cabins, 2 cabins over so we can have the 2 connecting rooms (with our kids travelling along, connecting rooms would be great to put the kids in 1 room and us in the other, but still have the convenience of being open like a suite.

I probably won't hear back from NCL till the morning, but I believe they have them held for us, which gives me a night to debate if the $500 is worthwhile for a 6 day cruise.

I do like the convenience of deck 11 to the pool, the kids area, and whatnot. That's a big selling point, as is the balcony itself and the loveseat sofa which isn't in the catagory E Oceanview rooms.

BTW Disfan, I don't see an 8045 on the Spirit deck plans, you have a phantam cabin? ;)

Hi

Just fyi, we paid $75 pp ($150) for an upgrade from ocvw to balcony 2 years ago on the Dawn. It was our first balcony (and last unless we get a fairy visit as well) and I don't know if I'd do it again - the guy next door smoked cigars and so we didn't use the balcony much. Plus if the ship was moving and you opened the cabin door the same time as the balcony door there was a wind tunnel effect that pulled items out the door (only lost the empty laundry bag tho). Might be better with kids, have some private space after bedtime.

Hi

Just fyi, we paid $75 pp ($150) for an upgrade from ocvw to balcony 2 years ago on the Dawn. It was our first balcony (and last unless we get a fairy visit as well) and I don't know if I'd do it again - the guy next door smoked cigars and so we didn't use the balcony much. Plus if the ship was moving and you opened the cabin door the same time as the balcony door there was a wind tunnel effect that pulled items out the door (only lost the empty laundry bag tho). Might be better with kids, have some private space after bedtime.

hmm, this deal is $125 a person, not as good, especially since it's only a 6 night sailing.

Still debating it.

Any others have input or stories to share?

I would do it but that is me. What is the going price right now and how much are you saving. That would be important to me. You can always ask for a better deal. I have read of some people negotiating price on the upsell.

I would do it but that is me. What is the going price right now and how much are you saving. That would be important to me. You can always ask for a better deal. I have read of some people negotiating price on the upsell.

We paid $599pp for an Oceanview H Guarantee, and were placed in an E on deck 5. Taking the offer would make it $724pp for a Balcony. Not a huge deal on a 6 night sailing (the $599 was nothing spectacular either, but it fit our schedule).

I'm leaning towards turning this down unles NCL sweetens the offer a bit.

We sailed the Star to Alaska in May. We had an inside guarantee and were upsold to an aft AA for 200pp. Worth every dime and more, especially since it was an aft and the view was amazing. Will never cruise Alaska without a balcony now.

We're cruising this weekend on the Spirit, got the call from my travel agent today about an upsell from our Oceanview H guarantee rate cabins to Balcony BA cabins on deck 11.

The upsell is $250 a cabin (we have 2). Do you think it's worth it? Yea or nea? I've already tried negotiating it down or getting OBC but no luck.

The cabins available are below the spa/fitness center, which is a concern, and at the moment are adjoining but not connecting (working on that). Specifically 11532 & 11536.

Should I take it? I have an hour or 2 to decide most likely, since we have the Norwegian rep trying to bump the folks in the connecting cabin 11530 into 11536 so I can have the 2 connecting.

FTR, our existing H GTY was already upgraded to category E with full picture window instead of porthole, so really we're talking E to BA upgrade for $250 a piece.

Personally SINCE you are already going to get and E without paying extra, I would not bother $250 each will an extra $1000. NOW if it was $50 each I would give it serious consideration. Strictly my opinion and what I would do in the circumstances.

Personally SINCE you are already going to get and E without paying extra, I would not bother $250 each will an extra $1000. NOW if it was $50 each I would give it serious consideration. Strictly my opinion and what I would do in the circumstances.

It's $125 each but 2 rooms, so $250/room, $500 total for 2 rooms.

Regardless, they wouldn't budge on lowering or giving us OBC so I turned it down. Maybe they'll call back later in the day with a better deal, if not, we're happy where we're at.

It's $125 each but 2 rooms, so $250/room, $500 total for 2 rooms.

Regardless, they wouldn't budge on lowering or giving us OBC so I turned it down. Maybe they'll call back later in the day with a better deal, if not, we're happy where we're at.

That's a bit more tempting but still a little too much for me. I think the "E" for nothing is a good deal.

I haven't cruised in a long time, so I don't know if that's a good deal. I do remember reading on another thread, someone had a bad experience because their room was under the fitness center. Look for the post....

Archived