Gel Batteries??

boomerSexyK

In light of to-day's events and the carry-on changes at most airports in the UK, the US and Canada, does anyone know how this will impact scooter users and our battery packs? I'm was just wondering if they will be dis-allowed totally or approved providing the user carries some form of medical paperwork?

I just called TSA and spent forever on hold! They said no, you cannot bring the gel batteries on board. They have to be checked. So I guess the whole scooter has to go into checked luggage? The lady said you can call the airline to ask for a wheelchair or other assistance to get you to the plane after you've checked your scooter.

I consider this to be another set-back for handicapped travelers. when you gate check a scooter or battery powered wheelchair it is much more likely to suffer damage AND you have no assurance that it will be on your flight. I remember reading on one of these boards that a man looked out his window and saw his wheelchair parked on the tarmac as he was taking off! Once this restriction is in place, it will not be removed-witness taking off your shoes-how long ago was that started. I am going on a cruise in December from Port Canaveral and am considering driving.

Juliab

I consider this to be another set-back for handicapped travelers. when you gate check a scooter or battery powered wheelchair it is much more likely to suffer damage AND you have no assurance that it will be on your flight. .

Juliab

I'm a bit confused about your statement. Don't believe scooters,

power wheelchairs have ever been placed in the cabin of an airplane .....

I've read that a manual, folding wheelchair might be placed in the cabin

storage area - if room. Never seen that either, however.

Is the a difference in handling these items between checking at the counter vs. gate checking ? Obviously I know the convenience of gate checking wherein one has their own scooter/wheelchair up to the gate ........

I think the issue here is going thru security with the gel battery. No, the scooters do not go in the cabin they are taken down to the plane from the gangway. I hope that we can still do this, but it sounds like we can't? Clear??

TeeHee I knew what i meant-just didn't say it right

I hope that we can still do this, but it sounds like we can't?

That's correct. When you check in, you will have to transfer to a wheelchair provided by the airport, or perhaps to one of those go-karts. The scooter and gel battery cannot go past the first security checkpoint.

I didn't bother trying to explain to the TSA representative why that wouldn't be a good solution for many scooter users; I was on hold for a long time and they were clearly overwhelmed by callers. When I asked the question, she at first said "no you can't bring it" and then said "let me check." She put me on hold again and when she came back she confirmed that you cannot bring the gel battery past the security checkpoint.

She said to contact your airline in advance so they will have a wheelchair ready when it is time to check the scooter.

thanks for the verification! I was afraid it was that way.

When you ride your scooter to the gangway-it is handled once, putting it in the hold and then again taking it out. When it is checked with your luggage, who knows what happens to it and where it goes?

I was lucky enough to fly home yesterday from Las Vegas in all that confusion. My scooter has a gell battery and there was no change in the procedure I have always followed. I rode it to the door of the plane and it was put into the cargo hold. I had a stopover in Chicago and it was treated the same way again.

At no time was I asked to check it at the gate and transfer to a whhelchair.

Toni

I suspect the reason is that nobody knew you had a gel battery. Even if they had already been banned yesterday, it's unlikely anybody at the check-in counter, the security checkpoint, at the gate has ever heard of a gel battery. The information I got was by calling the TSA, so they are officially banned - but I suspect that if you don't mention the gel battery, they won't know about it.

I was lucky enough to fly home yesterday from Las Vegas in all that confusion. My scooter has a gell battery and there was no change in the procedure I have always followed. I rode it to the door of the plane and it was put into the cargo hold. I had a stopover in Chicago and it was treated the same way again.

Toni

Certainly glad to hear that. One of my first thoughts yesterday

was that there would not be enough wheelchairs at the airports available

to assist all those people. Even in the past they often ask you to transfer to a regular chair at the gate while waiting for boarding. Guess they would have to have a lot more manual wheelchairs at the gate areas

to have them available for boarding.......

I was asked if it was a gell battery both times.

Toni

Beats me, then. Perhaps the TSA rep I spoke to was wrong. I thought it was funny that she answered "no" so quickly, I figured it was just knee-jerk reaction because I'd said the word "gel" in my question. When she put me on hold to check further and then still came back and said no, I figured they really were banned.

Perhaps somebody else could call the TSA (866-289-9673) and ask again, maybe a different rep would have a different answer.

over the past four years of many flights using a scooter with gel batteries, we have ALWAYS been asked if they were gel batteries, and on one occasion had to show them the booklet to prove it. sometimes, they remove the battery pack and place tape over the contacts, sometimes not. in all instances, involving several airlines, the gate personnel will provide a manual wheelchair and assistance to the plane door - and reverse the procedure on landing. To be absolutely sure, prior to landing, I request the chief stewardess to have the cockpit radio ahead to make sure a wheelchair and assistance are there. I may be lucky, but have never had any mishaps, scooter damage(they go in the baggage compartment) or any unusual occurence. I will say that letting your needs be known politely and clearly is most important; impolite and demanding ones get the treatment their demeanor warrants.:)

over the past four years of many flights using a scooter with gel batteries, we have ALWAYS been asked if they were gel batteries, and on one occasion had to show them the booklet to prove it. sometimes, they remove the battery pack and place tape over the contacts, sometimes not. in all instances, involving several airlines, the gate personnel will provide a manual wheelchair and assistance to the plane door - and reverse the procedure on landing. To be absolutely sure, prior to landing, I request the chief stewardess to have the cockpit radio ahead to make sure a wheelchair and assistance are there. I may be lucky, but have never had any mishaps, scooter damage(they go in the baggage compartment) or any unusual occurence. I will say that letting your needs be known politely and clearly is most important; impolite and demanding ones get the treatment their demeanor warrants.:)

That is all excellent advice! My only caution is that because of yesterday's news, they may be likely to change that...it might depend on who you talk to.

etoile, if they change it, then we make the necessary changes to accomodate that. my point is, there is no point at this time in getting wrapped in to a bunch of "what ifs". IMHO it is better to wait and see what happens rather than speculate.

etoile, if they change it, then we make the necessary changes to accomodate that. my point is, there is no point at this time in getting wrapped in to a bunch of "what ifs". IMHO it is better to wait and see what happens rather than speculate.

Very wise words! I hope to meet you sometime, perhaps at a FOD or CC party. :)

New update. Looks like they have relaxed restrictions. The following is a quote from Critical Information for Air Travelers with Disabilities.

Items permitted beyond the checkpoint include: Wheelchairs; scooters; crutches; canes; walkers; prosthetic devices; casts; support braces; support appliances; service animals; any and all diabetes-related medication, equipment, and supplies; orthopedic shoes; exterior medical devices; assistive/adaptive equipment; augmentation devices; ostomy supplies; medications and associated supplies; hearing aids; cochlear implants; tools for wheelchair disassembly/reassembly; personal supplemental oxygen; CPAP machines; respirators; CO2 personal oxygen concentrators; baby apnea monitors; Braille note takers; slate and stylus; tools for prosthetic devices; and any other disability-related equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with Southwest last week about taking my wife's Pride Revo scooter on our flight to Florida. The representative told me, after asking about the gel batteries, that she could drive it all the way to the door of the aircraft, and if there was room in the plane it could be stored there, othewise it would be checked. The scooter comes apart in five pieces, but I'd rather they just took it lock, stock and barrel into the hold. As we all know, what we're told by airline representatives can turn out to be terribly wrong, but this seems to fit in with the updated rules released by the TSA.

Archived