Questions for SMeyer 418 re getting to Red Hook Pier

Johnsy81

SMeyer, since you're a Brooklynite, hope you don't mind my asking you a couple questions re Red Hook.

DH and I will be driving to the pier for the Sept 2 cruise. From what I've been reading, there is parking inside the terminal but the lots apparently holds about 500-600 cars. If we plan to arrive at the terminal around 12:30 pm, should we be able to park in this lot (want to avoid parking outside the terminal since we're not familiar with Brooklyn at all)?

We'll be driving from northern Westchester County. I've read your posts about the best ways to drive to the pier. Looks like our best bet may be I684 to the Sawmilll to the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Whitestone Bridge to LIE to BQE. Does this sound right to you? Would it be better to go the West Side Highway and take the Tunnel? We're allowing 90 minutes for the ride into Brooklyn...will this be sufficient or should be allow more time?

Appreciate any help or advice. Have a great weekend!

SMeyer, since you're a Brooklynite, hope you don't mind my asking you a couple questions re Red Hook.

DH and I will be driving to the pier for the Sept 2 cruise. From what I've been reading, there is parking inside the terminal but the lots apparently holds about 500-600 cars. If we plan to arrive at the terminal around 12:30 pm, should we be able to park in this lot (want to avoid parking outside the terminal since we're not familiar with Brooklyn at all)?

We'll be driving from northern Westchester County. I've read your posts about the best ways to drive to the pier. Looks like our best bet may be I684 to the Sawmilll to the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Whitestone Bridge to LIE to BQE. Does this sound right to you? Would it be better to go the West Side Highway and take the Tunnel? We're allowing 90 minutes for the ride into Brooklyn...will this be sufficient or should be allow more time?

Appreciate any help or advice. Have a great weekend!

I am on the same cruise. The parking lot has never been more than half full. I think there are some other ships later that same weekend and those people may have a problem since so many of us will be parking for the QM cruise. 12:30 should be fine. I am driving and parking too although I probably could save money by leaving the car on the street(in front of my house) and taking a car service...which now thinking about it I may do.

Your directions are ok. The West side highway has a small area that is on the street with lights. Most time on the weekends there is little traffic especially before early afternoon...but with NY Traffic you can never be sure. Remember you can also do the East side Highway and go over the Brooklyn Bridge straight to Atlantic Avenue and then a right on Atlantic Avenue to the end then a left and then the first right as alternatives if there is a traffic problem somewhere...Its good to know the alternatives...

see you on the ship :)

Archived