Gratuity for Alaskan guides...

shellmiya

A friend just returned from her Alaskan cruise and shared a kind thought... The locals who work as guides in Alaska greatly appreciate fresh fruit because it is either expensive or difficult to get. Fruit is in abundance on these cruise ships. I hope that I am not encouraging something that I later find out is frowned upon for some reason, but why not bring a few pieces of fruit to your guides. I hear that they really really appreciate it.

This idea about giving fresh fruit instead of a cash tip seems to have gotten its start decades ago. It applied, and in some rare instances still does, to people such as big-game hunting guides who only see town once or twice a season. For those of us who live in or near even tiny communities, fresh fruit is easy to get. Yes it can be expensive, but not as expensive as for you to bring fruit that the guide doesn't like and throws away. The sentiment to give something special is great, and a little something in addition to cash is wonderful - but something from your region that isn't available anywhere else, whether that be spices, a special type of honey or candy, or some such thing. Another thing that makes a tip special is a note about your trip (this mostly applies to multi-day excursions where you have the time to do such things and have gotten to really know the guide), especially if its written on a card from your area - I have every one I've gotten over the past 15 years.

Murray

Archived