Travel Insurance from UK

KenAndJulie

It appears that many of our American friends can cruise without travel insurance however us UK folk must have it. I thought I would try to start a long running thread dedicated to who is offering the best travel insurance deals. Either for single trip or for annual cover. I think we also need to consider whether or not the cover includes America/Canada (since this seems to double the cost).

Ken

It is quite easy to find good competative rates on the internet for either single journey or annual travel insurance.

I have a quote for £72.00 per couple for annual multitrip world wide. Will do a bit more searching today see if i can get the price any lower

Me again Ken

We bank with Alliance & Leicester and receive free travel insurance with our current account as well as good interest rate on any balances.

Run the account on internet and via local post office, really handy.

Word of warning! some of the cheaper policies EXCLUDE cruising

Ray

You have to be very careful. I recently had to change my annual policy because the one I'd been with excluded pre-existing medical conditions. I am a controlled asthmatic and they increased the price - excessively. I am now with Cahoot who were recommended by the Which report. They cover my asthma with no extra charge although I would always point out to an insurer if you do have any condition at all to make sure if you do claim they do not use that as an excuse not to pay up.

We get ours from Direct Travel Insurance, think we found out about them off of Teletext, or maybe the net , anyway a years family world-wide without ski cover is about £65-£70. We just renew it yearly. I think there is a £50 excess.

My in-laws used them this year for just a one holiday cover , they are pensioners, they were going to our timeshare. So mum-in-law decides she cant go on the day cos she had flu!!!!!!, well she was quite rough I guess, I would of still gone had it been me but anyway, they put in a claim. There was a lot of confusion here and there but they got near enogh all their costs back. Not so bad then

Just don't in any circumstaces be over 70 and have any medical problems when you are looking for insurance. Also even if Americans can travel without insurance it doesn't mean that that is a good idea for them. The real value of travel insurance is not for when you have to abandon travel, that could cost you a few hundred pounds. The real value is when you have a serious medical problem while abroad paticularly in USA. Then you can be talking of multi thousands. And don't even think of dying there.

David

Archived