Glacier Treck or Dogsled?

zhenya

I've been reading this board for the last several days learning what I can in prepration for our Alaska cruise. I've cruised few times before, but never traveled to Alaska. We'll be on Norwegian Sun July 25th.

Here is my question (I am sure I'll have more).

If I had to choose between going on a Dog Sled tour with Coastal or Glacier Treck with NorthStar which would you suggest? Is it better to do one of them at Juneau and another one somewhere else? Thanks.

Our Dog sledding was cancelled twice,Coastal did offer us glacier landing but we had already landed on glacier in Talkeetna.If you do book Dog Sled you might want to book a back up.We were lucky enough to get last two seats on Captain Larry's Orca Experience,which was great!.

WE did the helicopter glacier landing dog sled excursion on june 28th in juneau and it was great. Amazing views from the air and the dog sled was fun. we had 4 kids ranging in age from 8 to 16 and it is great for them as you get to pet the dogs and drive the sled. i hope to make it back to alaska at some point and would do the glacier trek to get a different experience but assume both are great. when you do the dog sled they need to have snow cover so even though you land on a glacier because it is snow covered you dont get the real sense that you are on a glacier. therefore, i will do the trek next time as you get to walk around where it is icy glacier and not just snow. i think we did the right one first though by choosing the dog sledding but you cant go wrong.

I've been reading this board for the last several days learning what I can in prepration for our Alaska cruise. I've cruised few times before, but never traveled to Alaska. We'll be on Norwegian Sun July 25th.

Here is my question (I am sure I'll have more).

If I had to choose between going on a Dog Sled tour with Coastal or Glacier Treck with NorthStar which would you suggest? Is it better to do one of them at Juneau and another one somewhere else? Thanks.

I haven't done the dog sledding, myself. However, one thing to consider is how much flight time you get on the helicopter. I've done a glacier landing in Juneau with TEMSCO and loved it. But, you only got about 30 minutes of total flight time and a 20 minute glacier walk. While, the helicopter tour we took at Denali Nat'l Park, which had a 15 minute vista landing (not a glacier landing) had an hour of flight time. We enjoyed both excursions immensely, as they were different experiences. But, we definitely felt that you got more for your money with an hour's flight time.

My parents did BOTH a glacier tour and a dog sledding excursion last month. Between the two, they would definitely recommend the glacier tour. They really enjoyed the lengthy hour long helicopter flight.

Its not that they didn't like the dog sledding. But, relatively speaking, they only got a short helicopter flight, followed up by a short dog sledding experience (it was somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes on the sled), and an $800 bill for two people. According to my parents, they enjoyed the dogsledding and got some great pictures. Notwithstanding that, they didn't think it was worth the cost. That was their opinion, at least.

Thanks for your responses. We’ll probably go to the Glacier Treck in Juneau and possibly will do dog sledding in Skagway. But here is another dilemma: we also want to go to whale watching and seems like that the best tour is with Captain Larry out of Juneau. Are there recommended whale watching tours from other ports, or possibly glacier tours from other ports (good once).

Thanks.

Trekking in the Yukon is a great idea, as it will drive you past glaciers and great views of lands you would never see from the ship. Lots of wildlife and much more. The hike to the glaciers is very expensive and can be cancelled because of bad weather which happens alot/

Good travels and tyr something different?

Archived