Enjoy the show!

alwayssingin

alwayssingin, it was mentioned here on the 5th, but I'll give something of an update. It's east (farther from the end of the road) by about 3 miles from the first - and still continuing - lava entry. See this map:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/archive/2006/Aug/060804-web-map_L.gif

The new breakout is at the end of the "Campout" flow at East Ka'ili'ili. The current one that is creating the large lava bench is at East Lae'apuki.

As of today the new one is going strong. Because it's so new it doesn't yet have a strongly established tube system so there are numerous breakouts on the coastal flat. Also, it hasn't yet developed a large (and dangerously unstable) lava delta/bench, which makes approaching the older lava entry so perilous - and stupid.

The problem is that it is VERY far from the end of the chain of craters road, the point where most people - and basically every excursion - begins the hike to the ocean entry... 4 or 5 miles as the crow flies, and we ain't no crows. From the west side, it's basically not accessible because of this distance for anyone on a cruise ship excursion.

I've heard that access from the east side may be worse - the old lava viewing road on the Kalapana side is closed by the island civil defense (it's the brown dotted line on the map link above), and the access road to Royal Gardens is technically for residents only. I suppose you could walk along it, but the distance is probably just as long - if not longer - than from the other side. And I'd have second thoughts about leaving anything in a car where you'd park it.

(For those who want to view active lava up close, just hope that the old East Lae'apuki flow and ocean entry keeps going. If not, close up viewing will extraordinarily difficult in the short time cruisers have in port. just keep checking the USGS site.)

Probably the best way to view it is -- good news for cruisers! -- on your ship at night.

And the newest pictures from the flow:

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/9670149/detail.html

(they actually featured video on today's newscast of the lava hitting the water - illuminating the water from underneath as the steam rose - mesmerizing stuff but can't find the video online so I guess these still pictures will have to do)

Spleen

I was out-of-town last weekend and haven't been able to catch up on all the posts yet. Sorry about that!

Thanks for the picture links. I remember seeing a movie (maybe Tarzan?) when I was little and seeing lava flowing. I was fascinated and still am. I hope it's flowing enough in January so that I can see it, even if it's from the ship!

spleen,

If one is staying on the island, how many days would you suggest exploring the Volcano area? We were planning on 2 days but now are leaning towards 3 and cutting Kauaii down to 4 full days (instead of 5)... wish we could change our renturn flights but unfortunately since it's right after Xmas there aren't 4 seats available. Guess we'll just have to plan returning another time.

Carolyn

You could probably easily spend 3 days in the Volcano area - especially if you were planning on doing the hike to the lava. Were you only going to stay on the Hilo side of the island or were you going to go over to the Kona side as well?

Spleen

cmjaffe, your time at Volcano is totally dependent upon your interest in the volcano. If not that, then the desire for peace, quiet, some rain and fog, and lush rainforest. But if you really think the volcano wouldn't hold your interest more than an hour or so, Kona might be a better bet - and I'm saying this as one of the bigtime Kilauea fans on this board.

If it was me, I'd spend one day touring the top part of Kilauea (around the summit caldera) including perhaps a hike to Pu'u Huluhulu, and on one day do a serious trek to the lava entry - start in mid-afternoon and be out there until after dark settles in. It's a totally different experience to be out there after dark, and if the volcano is obliging in its activity you will be mesmerized for hours). (Take VERY VERY good flashlights (preferably 2 per person), a walking stick, water, etc.) Another day exploring Hilo, Akaka Falls, Puna district, pizza at Cafe Pesto - had to throw that in.

The Punaluu black sand beach is maybe 40 minutes away.

Yes, there is lots to do in 3 days in Volcano, and to many with "red-rock fever" 3 days is simply not enough time.

Archived