Rio on New Year's Eve

Motm

Hi Everyone.

My Son was in Rio on New Year's Eve and said it was a fantastic experience. He also stated that there were several cruise ships docked on the water as they partied on land and enjoyed the fire works.

I have been trying, with no luck, to find a cruise that docks in Rio on New Year's eve. Any suggestions?

Motm

You need to find a line that does South America during the holidays. From what I've seen, not many cruise lines do SA that early in the season. I know that Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Cunard and Celebrity do SA, but not for New Years. The big time to do Rio is during Carnivale, which is in February.

Just for another perspective, I've been to Rio twice as part of a world cruises and it's by far not my favorite place in the world. I've felt more comfortable and safer in Vietnam and India than I did in Rio. Many of my fellow passengers were robbed and pickpocketed in Rio and the ship's photographer was robbed by two men with broken bottles when she left a tour group to take a photo of an interesting building. We were constantly warned not to leave the ship with any jewelry, credit cards or money as robbery is rampant. People will say crime is anywhere, but it is far worse in Brazil as a whole and Rio in particular is a very scary place. Buenos Aires is one of the most wonderful cities in SA, but Brazil can be intimidating. JMHO

I do know that HAL will be doing South America over Christmas and New Year but they will probably spend both holidays at sea as I expect that the charges for berths at that time of year would be huge.

We started our cruise from Rio on the 8th January this year on the Regal Princess. When I was booking our hotel room in Rio for the precruise visit, I did book many months in advance as the hotels all fill up and the rooms are very expensive for up to 6 days post New Year as it is holiday time in Brazil.

Jennie

Archived