Kilauea Volcano Lava And Napali Coast - POH

tomluvsaida

I know a lot has been said on these already but am a little confused from what I've read. Are the Kilauea Volcano lava and Napoli Coast both observed on the same day? Does the ship make a 360 degree turn for one and not the other? Our cabin will be on Starboard side so we thought of watching one or both these events from a window seat at either Le Bistro or Cagneys. Where is the best place to see these if we can't see them from our cabin's balcony and when. We will be on POH from Oct. 30th - Nov. 3rd.

They are at opposite ends of the main Hawaiian island chain, so they are not on the same day.

The ship turns around for the lava viewing on the Big Island, so both sides are fine.

It can't turn around for Napali coast on Kauai, where the viewing is port only.

I think Napali coast has to be one of the prettiest things you can see from a cruiseship anywhere.

NCLA is the only cruiseline that does it.

They are at opposite ends of the main Hawaiian island chain, so they are not on the same day.

The ship turns around for the lava viewing on the Big Island, so both sides are fine.

I think Napali coast has to be one of the prettiest things you can see from a cruiseship anywhere.

Thanks a lot Mike! Once again you've been a big help!:)

Thanks a lot Mike! Once again you've been a big help!:)

Just one more question though. On which day is each? I think Napoli Coast is next to the last day on second Kaui day but I'm not sure about the volcano. My guess is it is on the night of the one Hilo day since the volcanos are closer to Hilo than Kona but I'm not really sure.

(I believe starboard is right and port is left, but not sure). My stateroom number is 14500. Thank you.

You are correct, starboard is right and port is left. On the Pride of Aloha it was port side that got to view the Napali coast after departing Kauai. Last week it was overcast and rainy. You could just see the coastline and up maybe a 1000 feet. On a clear day it would be spectacular.

Later,

John

Thanks, Mike. I made sure I booked port side just for this. #11560 POH 1/1/07. I can't wait!:cool:

We will be on POH at the end of October. Our room will be on starboard side and from what I understand The Napali Coast will be on Port side. For that reason we decided it would be nice to view it while dining in either Cagney's or Le Bistro. We figure even if the service is slow we won't care if we are observing The Napoli Coast. :) What I would like to know is which one will give us a better view? (provided of course we can get a window seat for two.) Also what is the best time?

I know someone answered this already but I just can’t seem to find the post it's in so please forgive me for repeating the question.:D

I'm not sure what the POH schedule or layout is... When we were on Pride of America, the best place to be to see the Napali coast if you didn't have a balcony was in the aft, outside seating area of the buffet (Aloha Cafe). We had a beautiful view out there!

As a matter of fact, we were stopped for a while which wasn't typical. They angled the ship a bit which gave helped give the whole aft section and port side a good view.

When you do decide on a restaurant, you might want to try to request a window seat if they allow this. Otherwise you might get seated somewhere without a good view.

Actually, if you look at the deck plan for the POH, you'll see that you can eat at...

- Le Bistro

- Alizar

- Grand Pacific (a small section appears to be next to the windows)

- Jasmine Garden (although you will have the promenade between you and the edge of the ship)

- Blue Lagoon (or Paniolos from 5:30- 10:30 but ask for the port side)

- Papa's

- Aloha Nui Lanai (the outside seating area of the buffet)

- Cagney's (again, you will have a jogging track between you and the edge)

... and be seated on the port side. Just ask for a table near the port-side windows. (although I imagine everyone else will be doing the same).

Of course it all depends on which restaurants have seating for two near the windows.

- Alizar has limited seating for 2 near the windows. There is a long bench which runs the lengthwise along th windows. The tables are placed in front of these and chairs are put on the other side. it looks as if there is only 1 table for 2 in this configuration but the next row of tables inward have tables for 2 with 2 chairs.

- Le Bistro is nice because there are 5 large windows on the port side with tables for 2 completely in front of them. There are 9-10 tables for 2 along the port-side wall in total but the other 4-5 that are not in front of the windows are in front of paintings(?)

- Grand Pacific appears to have 5 large windows with 5 tables for 2 in front of them.

- Jasmine Garden appears to have 8 bow windows but they have tables for 4 in front of them.

- Papa's has 8 large windows with 8 tables for 2 in front of them.

- Cagney's is not clear so I'd check it out beforehand.

*All of these views are based on the deckplans and the POH virtual tours. As always, the tables aren't bolted to the deck and the layout of each restaurant may change. YMMV.:)

Actually, if you look at the deck plan for the POH, you'll see that you can eat at...

- Le Bistro

- Alizar

- Grand Pacific (a small section appears to be next to the windows)

- Jasmine Garden (although you will have the promenade between you and the edge of the ship)

- Blue Lagoon (or Paniolos from 5:30- 10:30 but ask for the port side)

- Papa's

- Aloha Nui Lanai (the outside seating area of the buffet)

- Cagney's (again, you will have a jogging track between you and the edge)

... and be seated on the port side. Just ask for a table near the port-side windows. (although I imagine everyone else will be doing the same).

Of course it all depends on which restaurants have seating for two near the windows.

- Alizar has limited seating for 2 near the windows. There is a long bench which runs the lengthwise along th windows. The tables are placed in front of these and chairs are put on the other side. it looks as if there is only 1 table for 2 in this configuration but the next row of tables inward have tables for 2 with 2 chairs.

- Le Bistro is nice because there are 5 large windows on the port side with tables for 2 completely in front of them. There are 9-10 tables for 2 along the port-side wall in total but the other 4-5 that are not in front of the windows are in front of paintings(?)

- Grand Pacific appears to have 5 large windows with 5 tables for 2 in front of them.

- Jasmine Garden appears to have 8 bow windows but they have tables for 4 in front of them.

- Papa's has 8 large windows with 8 tables for 2 in front of them.

- Cagney's is not clear so I'd check it out beforehand.

*All of these views are based on the deckplans and the POH virtual tours. As always, the tables aren't bolted to the deck and the layout of each restaurant may change. YMMV.:)

Thanks! That was just the information I was looking for!:D

Does anyone know if the port side is the only side to view the Napali coast for all the NCLA ships? I'm going to book an April cruise on POAloha and wanted to be sure I'm on the correct side of the boat.

yes it's the same for all the NCLA ships.

Hi. I would like to to view these events from my stateroom, how do i find out if it is port or straboard (I believe starboard is right and port is left, but not sure). My stateroom number is 14500. Thank you.

Keep in mind that Port and Left have four letters.

Archived