St. Kitts - Mountain Biking and Beach

Lily14

Has anyone done the St. Kitts Mountain Biking and Beach excursion through Princess? I'm wondering how strenuous it is (lots of steep hills?), and if your really need to be an experienced mountain biker to do this.

Thanks for any insights.

:)

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of questions for those who have completed this ride.

1. How many miles is the ride?

2. Is there a set pace (MPH)?

3. Do you have to stay with the group or are you allowed to ride ahead?

4. Is there "training" before the ride starts or do you immediately start

riding?

Thanks,

Jeff

There was no training, we just picked a bike and a helmet and started riding. Not sure of the distance, but we rode for a total of about 2 1/2 hours. There were a few uphill portions that were challenging. The tour staff consisted of a lead bike person, a bike person in the rear, and our tour guide/bike shop owner Art, who followed us in a pick-up truck. Our tour included some people in excellent shape and people like me who managed to keep up with the group, but just barely! We never rode for more that 15 minutes without a break, which provided opportunites for Art to tell us about the history, culture and politics of the island. I found the ride a bit challenging, but the frequent breaks made it managable. Only two people in our group rode all the way to the top of Timothy Hill. Some ended up walking their bikes up, and some (like me) chose to park their bikes and ride up in the back of the pick-up truck. After Timothy Hill, it was a short ride to Frigate Bay Beach where we swam and relaxed for about an hour. After that, it was maybe a 20 minute ride back to the ship. This was an excellent tour and I would highly recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the excursion took a total of 4 hours. We were back at the dock by 12:30. We had to be back on board the Crown Princess by 2:30, so there wasn't much time to do anything else besides walk around town for a few minutes.

Lily14

Archived