Acapulco - A Day at a Beach Resort

luvocean9

We will be in Acapulco just one day in December 06 and would like to spend the afternoon at a beach resort. We are looking for a beach resort that offers:

• Shaded areas on beach for lounging (cabanas or whatever)
  • Lounge chairs
  • Beach service - food and drink
  • Float rental
  • Swimming pool
  • Minimal peddlers

There is one offered through our ship's tours, but we would prefer to go independent so that it is not so structured and crowded. Your recommendations will be appreciated! Thank you.

Here are three possibilities to consider:

Hotel & Beach Club Vayma - Pie de la Cuesta

http://www.vayma.com.mx/index2.html

Hotel Boca Chica - Playa Caletilla - Traditional Zone of Acapulco

http://*****.com/ofjkl

Villa Vera - Zona Dorada

http://*****.com/eghtn

Vayma is the only one that meets, strictly, your specified requirements. It's located a 20-30 muinute ride by taxi from the cruise ship terminal, and is a favored beach for people visiting Acapulco who want some peace and quiet, away from the tourist zone. It's known as the "Sunset Beach" because of the splendid views at sunset. The hotel has an excellent outdoor restaurant on a terrace, a pool, cordoned-off palapas on the beach where you can relax, eat and drink, and there are rooms for rent if you want one for the day.

The Boca Chica is right on Playa Caletilla, a 15 minute taxi ride at the most from the cruise ship terminal - in Acapulco's "traditional zone" (where Mexico's tourism industry started ever so many years ago). The hotel is situated on a very short/small spit of land jutting into the bay, maybe 10 feet above the adjacent beach area, and offers both fresh water and salt water pools. There are restaurants, and rooms for rent. A strong attraction will be the many nice family-owned restaurants lining the beach. This is a beach, though, that has, within the past month, been experiencing some "water quality" issues, so I don't recommend going into the water there at the moment. The situation is most often seasonal - during the rainy season - and the rains will stop, in mid-September. The water should be fine for your visit, though. There are many vendors at this beach, though - and it's a beach that tends to draw Mexican visitors traveling at the "budget level." It is, however, one of my favorite beaches in the area, because it's so very Mexican in every way. The hotel and beach area are favorites with many Europeans, who spend the entire winter in apartments and small hotels close by.+

The Villa Vera is a nice hideaway, right in the middle of town. It's not on the beach though, but, rather, situated on the mountainside about a 15-20 minute ride by taxi from the cruise ship terminal. The hotel has been a favorite, romantic spot for Hollywood stars and it's a popular honeymoon/wedding spot. The property has breathtaking views of the bay and Acapulco. There's a pool, tennis courts, restaurant/bar service, etc. It will be the more expensive of the three options I'm suggesting.

You can contact the places for more information, availability and any day-use policies.

Thank you, GoMexico! That was very helpful information. Nice of you to even provide the links. Actually, Vayma sounds just like what I am looking for. We will visit the tourist area in the evening, but for a beach, I want peace. Since we will be there in the afternoon, we will get to see the sunset as well.

I'm including, below, a link to a Fodor's guide review/description of the Vayma so you can learn more about the place. Though I don't think I have a photo of the hotel itself in my photo albums linked below as my signature line (Pie de la Cuesta - Acapulco), I might have the area in front of the beach, where the papapas are. At a minimum, you can see what Pie de la Cuesta looks like - it's a very nice place to chill for the day.

http://*****.com/c9vuv

Wow. You have some great Acapulco area beach pictures. I am going to look through them all when I have some more time and pick beaches I like best from your pictures. I will be in Acapulco on Monday December 4, which correct me if I am wrong, should not be a very busy day. Maybe I could go to a more popular beach and nicer hotel (spoiled Americano) without seeing too much of a crowd?

December 4th should be very quiet. The "high season" of tourism doesn't really start until around Xmas, and, other than the December 12th celebration for the Virgin de Guadalupe, there's not too much happening in town. Even during the busy season, Monday is often the "slow" day of the week (too much partying Fri, Sat and Sun!).

Thanks for the nice words about the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived