Victory from NY - JFK vs LGA

alwaysmom

After reading the posts I found, most are stating that LGA is the most convenient airport but my question is......Is JFK bad? I'm a unseasoned flyer looking for the cheaper rates. Will be flying will elderly mom (wheelchair) and oldest son. Any advise.

Smiles :)

I've never done Newark (Liberty Intl ) but if you have only a choice between LGA and JFK - do JFK. I live in New York - very close to both airports (I work at JFK) and avoid LGA as much as possible. You can get a cab at either airport to the city without any problems. If you need something bigger then a cab there is a company called AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION - they have an 800 number (believe they are located in Valley Stream - which is 10-15 minutes from JFK) you can make reservations with them advance.

But I checked the flights from Atlanta to NYC on Delta and Newark was $20/ticket cheaper than JFK or LGA.

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/nyc.htm

Super Shuttle serves all the airports and the entire Island of Manhatten. We have 4 in our party but our cruise + land vacation is two weeks so we will have lots of luggage! I plan to take this option.

Have Fun Cruzin'!

Jacquelyn :D

LGA is closer to the pier than JFK but airfares are pretty much the same.

Taxi service is also about equal with LGA slightly cheaper to the pier.

Time of arrival at airport is more important than anything else.

Especially weekdays as all the rush hour traffic will slow you down a bit to a lot.

NYC now has lots of taxi vans as well which will help you with the wheelchair. But as far as I know they do not have wheelchair lifts just more room in the back to store them with your luggage.

After reading the posts I found, most are stating that LGA is the most convenient airport but my question is......Is JFK bad? I'm a unseasoned flyer looking for the cheaper rates. Will be flying will elderly mom (wheelchair) and oldest son. Any advise.

Smiles :)

Unless you are flying JetBlue, most domestic flights either land at Newark or LGA as JFK seems to be mostly long hauls (international) and cross country domestic.

LGA is much easier to get in and out of than Newark or JFK.

Sorry for the delay. We will be flying from Buffalo, NY but have plenty of time (July 2007). I happen to be checking airfare for my April trip and found Delta (NS) RT to JFK for $157 which I might add is pennies compared to what I've seen :) and it's non-stop which is a plus with mom. Mom wants me to wait for Jetblue (she's concerned about Delta). Thanks for all the advise it is Very much appreciated.

Smiles to all.

JFK is about 18 miles, Newark 12 miles and La Guardia 9 miles from the Terminal. However, the traffic from JFK is normally nuts during the day. They're always doing some construction (I was out there last month, and there was major traffic on both the Grand Central and Van Wyck)

While there's a million ways to go, I would still pick LaGuardia or Newark, based upon whatever the best airline deal was.

BTW, Jet Blue has started a limited schedule to Newark

Depending upon the # of people, you may want to consider driving. It's about 7 hours (I make the drive to the Niagra several times a year), and parking at the pier is less than $200 per car for the week)

Archived