Clothes Missing

betmust

I am new to the boards and have a question. I just returned from a cruise on the Mariner-western carribbean. When I got home and unpacked, I noticed I am missing some clothes. I know I did not leave them behind because 3 of us double/triple checked every drawer etc. I remember packing these things. I thought before I left, I had read a thread about other people having the same problem and now I can't find it.

Anybody else ever have this problem?

Thanks

Bette

I haven't had it happen to me, but I remember the thread. I have also heard stories from people that have had clothing or personal articles stolen from their luggage. Most people suspect airline personnel of committing the thefts since bags need to left unlocked.

hey, hearing this makes me hate checking my luggage. my hubby and i almost never check it, we do the carry-on thing. now with new terror threats, we must check it and our iPods, cameras, cell phones too. It will be like a digital buffet for those few baggage handlers that are criminals.

I would rather be safe and check it if that helps TSA but why are these creeps not video monitored? i wish you better luck on your next trip!

I don't think electronics need to be checked unless you are flying into/out of the UK. I think all other domestic and/or international flights from the US have only the "no liquids in carry-on" policy. Unless the policy has changed again over the weekend (I didn't see any news this weekend!)

Last year we took a land vacation that was memorable for the wrong reasons---we flew from LaGuardia/NYC through Miami to Barbados. We had some non-cuban cigars, a children's nightlight, and some other little things taken from our luggage somewhere along the line on our way to Barbados. We had "sealed" our luggage with colored cable ties. When we got our luggage on the Barbados end, the colored ties had been replaced with other similarly colored but definitely not the same ties.

Call us nuts, but now we "seal" our luggage with TSA locks AND the colored baggage ties. If the baggage ties are intact at the end of the trip, we know that the TSA did not inspect them; if the locks are still locked and the ties are gone, we know that TSA was in there, and we have so far always found their paperwork in the bag as well.

We have yet to have to fly since the latest changes have been put into place.

On another angle---while checking my stateroom at the beginning or end of a cruise to make sure I haven't left anything of mine behind, I have found all sorts of (usually dark-colored) things under the beds and under the last shelf in the closet----clothes, flip flops, makeup, toys, snacks, soda bottles---you name it! Those stateroom attendants are so short-staffed and overworked nowadays, they barely have time to get the rooms presentable.

Leslie

I am one of those people that have had clothing stolen.

We spent 3 days after the cruise in the same city so we know that the airlines were not involved.

My husband was doing the laundry at our sister's house when we discovered the loss (Yes, I know how lucky I am that he took care of the laundry!).

Missing was a portion of my formal outfit and 3 brand new Victoria's Secret bras. They didn't take the cheaper ones from Macy's!

This was prior to TSA locks.

If TSA wants us to check our luggage, the airports need to be more accountable to the passengers with the way they monitor their baggage handler operation so that; a) all our luggage actually arrives at the destination, and in one piece, b) that the contents are not rifled and stolen from.

hey, hearing this makes me hate checking my luggage. my hubby and i almost never check it, we do the carry-on thing. now with new terror threats, we must check it and our iPods, cameras, cell phones too. It will be like a digital buffet for those few baggage handlers that are criminals.

I would rather be safe and check it if that helps TSA but why are these creeps not video monitored? i wish you better luck on your next trip!

I believe the news media reported that electronics must be in checked baggage in error. Not that they'd ever jump to gun on anything.

I had been told this at work so I pulled up the TSA site. All that is not allowed, in addition to the previous list of TSA no-no's, are liquids and gels. In the FAQ section it clearly states that electronics such as iPod, camera's, computers and cell phones ARE still allowed, at least for domestic U.S. flights.

Europe apparently is another story. I'm very glad we went to Ireland last May. I would have hated leaving my camera at home for that trip. I'm not about to pack expensive electronic equipement in my checked bags to give someone the opportunity to grab a five finger discount if I can avoid it.

As to the OP's issue, shoes seem to be a popular item to come up "missing" from a cruise. While many suspect airline baggage handlers, I'm pretty sure it's not just them. I could see things being taken at the pier pretty easily. As others have stated we use TSA approved locks. Not that it would stop someone who really wanted to get into people's luggage but it does keep most honest people honest.

We put zip ties on our bags before we put them out in that hall. In the morning when you pick them up you will know if they had been opened. I also write my name on the ties so I know if they have been replaced. If the airline gets in your bag they replace the zip ties.

Carrie

I have always been amazed at that store located in Alabama (I think it is) that sells belongings from "lost luggage". Frankly, I think it is reprehensible that no greater effort is being made to return the belongings to their rightful owners. I mean, when you check your luggage don't they put those stickers that trace the flight number, etc. Those things are not that easy to remove. It would seem to me that more effort could be made to find the rightful owners. I think it is creepy that very personal items are being resold to total strangers, so.....casually. I know that air traffic is huge these days, and that with all the connecting flights and thousands and thousands of pieces of luggage moved about, that it is not a simple task, but for Pete's sake, we put a man on the moon (a few times). To me it is a matter of not particularly caring....after all, if people value their belongings (if you can actually put a DOLLAR value on them that is) there is always insurance. Right?

To the OP...that truly stinks! Sorry :(

You may be on to something. Next time I pack my suitcase the last thing I put inside which will be the first thing they see if it is opened will be a couple of pieces of underwear with clearly visible skidmarks on them. That'll teach them.....:eek:

We put zip ties on our bags before we put them out in that hall. In the morning when you pick them up you will know if they had been opened. I also write my name on the ties so I know if they have been replaced. If the airline gets in your bag they replace the zip ties.

Carrie

The only problem I see with this is that you know things have been messed with (or stolen) before you open you bag. It does very little to prevent the theft since finger nail clippers can often open a plastic tie.

While TSA locks aren't fool proof, they are nail clipper proof.

I have always been amazed at that store located in Alabama (I think it is) that sells belongings from "lost luggage". Frankly, I think it is reprehensible that no greater effort is being made to return the belongings to their rightful owners. I mean, when you check your luggage don't they put those stickers that trace the flight number, etc. Those things are not that easy to remove. It would seem to me that more effort could be made to find the rightful owners. I think it is creepy that very personal items are being resold to total strangers, so.....casually. I know that air traffic is huge these days, and that with all the connecting flights and thousands and thousands of pieces of luggage moved about, that it is not a simple task, but for Pete's sake, we put a man on the moon (a few times). To me it is a matter of not particularly caring....after all, if people value their belongings (if you can actually put a DOLLAR value on them that is) there is always insurance. Right?

I've seen so many people use those little cardboard luggage tags provided at the checkin counter to attach to their luggage. They are so flimsy and most don't make the trip. I also know of people who never identify their bags. It is up to the traveler to make sure the bag is clearly marked in a secure tag or other manner and to place a second identification inside the suitcase with name, addr, phone, etc.

I thought it was just me but going through FLL, TSA left a flyer of inspection in my suitcase and among the items that went missing were several very expensive bras as well! Not cool! And I also use the ties and TSA locks now, I do not like leaving my bags outside my door without both on the ship. I trust the cruise line employees but not always the passengers!

among the items that went missing were several very expensive bras as well! Not cool! !

Well at least I now know that I am in good company!

I read this weekend that the State of Pennsylvania is auctioning off stuff on e-Bay. The State receives everything from all the PA airports Plus Newark and LaGuardia.

My brother works for TSA at a small commercial airport and has related that many items simply walk after being confiscated. There is a process of reporting losses, but the burden of proof is on you.

On one of my cruises our neighbors caught someone trying to steal items out of their bag at night after they put it outside their door. luckily they caught them. but maybe it was not tsa and instead someone stole them on the cruise?

On one of my cruises our neighbors caught someone trying to steal items out of their bag at night after they put it outside their door. luckily they caught them. but maybe it was not tsa and instead someone stole them on the cruise?

I was wondering why that cabin steward was wearing a Victoria's Secret bra on top of his shirt.....:eek:

We have had things go missing from our luggage too. On our Constellation cruise last November, 2 shirts of my husband's and one of mine never made it home. This was on a trip from the San Juan airport. I know TSA opened the bags, but there was no note in there stating that they opened the bags. I personally think the items were put into someone else's bag. On the same cruise a friend of my dad's had all her shoes stolen. She wears a size 5 and it's very hard for her to buy shoes, but I read on a thread on CC that shoes are very popular items to be stolen in the Caribbean.

Last May on our way to our Alaska cruise, shoes, a sweater, socks, and an electric razor were missing from my dad's suitcase on the way to Seattle. When I called the airline, I was told to call TSA. I called them and they told me to call the Orlando airport lost and found to see if the items were turned in. They weren't, but my father got re-imbursed by the insurance he had for his cruise.

We didn't get re-imbursed as it wasn't until about a month or so later that we noticed the items were missing. The shirt of mine went with a pair of pants and I know that I will never get a shirt like it again, so the pants are kind of worthless now too. My dad's friend got re-imbursed by the airline she flew on.

I guess there will always be thieves, and although we use the TSA locks, I believe that TSA agents are in a hurry and don't pay much attention to things they remove from a suitcase. My dad's friend had no lock on her suitcase, so the shoes could have been removed anywhere.

While TSA locks aren't fool proof, they are nail clipper proof.

TSA locks may be nail clipper proof, but that doesn't mean they can't be cut off. We always zip tie our luggage when we go on vacation, and never have any problem with that, and yes, our bags have been opened, checked, and re-zip tied. Our son is a short track ice speed skater, with very expensive racing boots and blades. Think 17" long, very sharp blades, which, of course, can't be hand carried onto a plane. For a competition in Minneapolis a couple of years ago we flew, and had to pack those skates in our checked bags. So, for the one and only time, we decided to use a TSA lock to protect his skates. No problem going up, but when we got back to Cleveland, they had decided to go into our bag in Minneapolis. Nothing was missing, but they had either cut the lock because they didn't have the particular key that opened it or taken it off, and hadn't bothered to return it. So the bag came home unlocked, unzip-tied, open to anyone who who have wanted to get in there. That's the last time I bother with the TSA locks - I'll stick to the zip ties.

Jodi

Call me cynical but I don't trust the people working at the TSA to be above theft from peoples luggage. The last time we cruised we used self disembarkation. Our bags were sealed with cable ties when we carried them off the ship and through the port. They were still sealed when we handed them to the people at the airline ticket counter. When we retrieved our bags from the baggage carousel at our destination I immediatley noticed that the wire ties had been cut of and not replaced with new ones. I opened the bags right there on the floor at the airport expecting to find a note from the TSA. There was no note but the items in the luggage had been visibly rifled through. Nothing was taken (probably because there was nothing of value in the bags) but the lack of any type of notice from whoever had opened our bags did not inspire any confidence in me that the TSA and airlines have the process under control.

The day I have to pack valuables in my checked luggage is the day I will no longer fly.

Archived