? On where to stay in Moorea

gulllake

I will be traveling to Tahiti and would like to hear of somewhere to stay for 3 nites on Moorea or if there are any other suggestions for another island. Overwater bungalows look wonderful but price is a factor. Any suggestions?

We stayed at the Sofitel and loved it. It is a bit away from most of the other hotels, but is the only one that offers a view of Tahiti. We stayed in a bungalow under some palm trees just off the beach (not overwater).

That was a while ago, but we were back a couple years ago and walked around the place and it still seemed in good condition.

http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fichehotel/gb/sof/resort/0566/fiche_hotel.shtml

Maybe this one? I think it's post number 25.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=393779&page=2&highlight=Sheraton

I'd say you're pretty safe at the Sheraton - about 100 raves for every negative. We probably would have stayed there, but found such a good deal at the ICB - couldn't justify the price difference.

I think people sometimes forget that cultures are so very different. I doubt you'd get a 5* Ritz-Carlton type experience anywhere, except maybe Bora Bora. Their culture is different and they are not trained in Customer Service as in the West (at least in my observations). Everything is so laid back there - we also encountered a waitress and a couple of other staff people that were less than glowing - but they were so insignificant in comparison most everyone else and the gorgeous setting and all the other positives - that I can hardly remember them.

gulllake,

When picking a hotel (whether it be in Paris, Rome, Barcelona or my upcoming trip to Moorea), I read the comments from fellow travellers on Tripadvisor. Keep in mind that everyone has a different opinion about a room (europeans vs north american views) but I have found this website extremely helpful and the rooms I have picked have been spot on.

I have booked Radisson in Papeete for Precruise nights, Moorea Pearl for 5 nights, IC for night before cruise. Good luck with your choice!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g309685-Moorea_Society_Islands-Vacations.html

great point, lhbsurf! That review is the first negative one I have ever heard. I have just heard that the Sheraton Moorea has some of the most fantastic views and great snorkeling. Good Luck on whatever you choose!

The Sheraton Moorea is heaven on earth...if you spring for an OWB. I started a review for our March '06 cruise...it might help.

Tahitian Princess March 10, 2006

Our wonderful vacation started with mileage tickets on Air Tahiti Nui for a 4 night pre-cruise stay. We arrive at LAX 3 1/2 hours ahead and were the first to check in for the 3:30 flight so we were successful in obtaining an up-grade to business class for $700 each. After check-in we went upstairs with friends to grab a bite before entering the security check and the big board had our flight listed as delayed…oh gee, what a surprise. We finally departed around 4:30pm, which got us into Papeete at 11:30pm. We were with the first to depart the plane and got through customs very fast but it really didn’t make a difference for transportation to the hotel. Our arranged transfer to the hotel was there to meet us but we had to wait till everyone was off the plane, made it through customs and gathered by the signs before they separated us with drivers and led us to vehicles. It was now after midnight! Our hotel for the first night was Le Mandarin…we were a bit worried when we had to walk around “ladies of the evening” and a reeking dumpster to get to the door. Check-in was interesting but fast…we were very worried when we saw the condition of the hall on the 5th floor but were pleasantly surprised at the room. The room and bathroom were clean, the beds were comfy with new spreads and there was plenty of hot water. Not much sleep that night because of the rooster that started at 4:00am! We grabbed a croissant & coffee from a very surly woman in the adjoining café and hurried out the door with our luggage to catch the 9:15am ferry to Moorea. The walk is easy, the purchasing of tickets is easy but WATCH YOUR POCKETS. There was a young man circling me very closely…I couldn’t figure out why he was staring at me. What he was doing was watching DH to see where he put his money…we were soon minus about 400cpf. The ride to Moorea was fun…the whole back was full of school kids singing Polynesian songs the whole way. Our transfer to the Sheraton was waiting for us and our 2 friends. The Sheraton is heaven on earth. But you must leave your fancy hotel expectations at home. We are Starwood members but no perks here…you have to be very persistent to get an up-grade. After much insisting we did get one of the best OWB’s (107) for 2 nights but had to move back to our original one for the last night. At breakfast the manager told us we could have #109. That was very nice but no one ever moved into #107… so why the heck did they make us move? The hotel was the perfect escape for us, the OWB’s are wonderful, the concierge and working staff were very friendly, the breakfast & lunches were affordable and good, but the front desk staff & management need improvement! The one thing that was aggravating was on the last morning we got a phone call at 9:00am reminding us that check-out was 11:00am and then a staff member was at the door at 9:15 to count the items in the mini-bar…then another phone call at 10:00 with another reminder to check-out. Give me a break! But would we stay there again...you bet. In fact, we can't wait to go back.

Transfer to ferry & ride back to Papeete was smooth and embarkation was a breeze. We stored our carry-ons on Deck 10 and went into town to get our flowers and other goodies in the Marche. Our room was ready by the time we got back at 4:00pm. We put our things away and the fun began. Our first CC meeting was at 5:00pm at the pool.

Archived