Cliff divers of Acapulco

true cruiser

We took the Cliff Diver tour in Acapulco last year. It's fun to say you've seen it, but is hard to see in the dark. Lighting is poor at best. If you've not done it once, by all means, take the tour.

The dock in Ziuahentno is heavy on fishing on both sides. I can't remember if you can swim in this area, but i think your best bet was to take a cab ride over to the other side of the bay where there was a very pretty area for swimming.

You can do the cliff divers on your own but by taking the tour you do get better seating. The cruise line has a deal with the restaurant so that it's passengers get first dibs on seating and it is great. (People who go on their own have to stand off to the side vs. sitting front row.) This is one where I think you are better off to go ahead and pay Princess the extra money for their tour.

As for Zihuatenejo, yes, there is a beach right there along with bars, restaurants, etc. :cool:

We did the cliff divers in April 06 and we did it on our own. We did the 1:00 show and it was fantastic. We had seats at the hotel and we were right across from where they dive. The seats at the hotel are terraced so there is no one in front of you. It was 12.50 pp and that was for lunch and a drink or two drinks. I was told it was hard to see at night so we did the day tour.

true cruiser ~ I'd like to make you aware of one thing if you want to do a walking tour on your own. Keep in mind that this was just my own experience nearly a year ago. DH and I took the Princess city tour with cliff divers in the morning (very good tour!) and afterwards just wanted to walk to the Zocolo (sp?) on our own. At the terminal, there are many men who apparently work for the port (they were all wearing white pants and flowered Hawaiian-type shirts) who approached all individual "walkers" asking if you wanted to take a tour, where you were going, etc. Telling them that you didn't need any help, etc. did no good. We couldn't get rid of this one fellow. No matter what, he was going to be our "guide." Finally, we were so annoyed that we decided to just go back to the ship. Of course, he was right there with us, and when we got back to the terminal, he had his hand out saying, "You don't get something for nothing." Of course, he wanted a tip! :mad: DH gave him $2 and he really looked p*ssed! Well, too bad. We told him we didn't need his "help." I've read on the Ports of Call Acapulco board that this is a common problem. In spite of this, we really liked Acapulco and would go back again. Just be aware that you may end up with an unwanted "tour guide."

Enjoy your cruise!

Elf

We had better luck than crusinelf. We got into port late, so all shore tours thru Princess were cancelled. We decided to head out on our own with another couple. We too, were approached by a "guide". We took him up on his offer and had one of the best times of the 12 day cruise. He took us shopping at several shops, then to the cliff divers, where we had a great view along with refreshments. We then asked him to take us to Senor Frogs for dinner, expecting him to just drop us there and we would catch a cab back to the ship, but he insisted on waiting for us.

This was a few years back, but the cost with tip was something like $60 for the four of us.

We did the divers on our own and I would recommend it... when you get off the ship, walk out to the street to get a cab rather then the ones right off the ship... they are much higher... we got a cab to take us into town and back for almost nothing. For the divers we got a cap who took us to the divers, stayed until we were ready to leave and brought us back to the ship for $20.00. I would advise getting there early for good viewing.:)

Archived