Staying in Miami 1 night after cruise...

kcpats2

First I have to say that these message boards are awesome, I've learned so much!

We're going on the Majesty from 9/18-9/22 and then plan on staying in Miami 9/22 and fly home late on 9/23. Our ship is supposed to dock back in Miami at 8:30 am, so I assume we'll have the whole day on 9/22 and the whole day on 9/23.

I'm having a heck of a time deciding where to stay and what to do. I want to visit South Beach just because it's South Beach...and I love the beach. :D But I don't know if I want to stay at a hotel in South Beach, or if I want to stay downtown (like the Intercontinental) and take a taxi to South Beach for a day at the beach and walking around the area and then going back to the hotel for a more quiet evening...and then spend the other day walking around Bayside. How expensive would a taxi be? Would it be difficult to get a taxi back to the hotel?

*sigh*

I don't know much about Miami, I"m trying to read about it on this site and a few other sites. I don't even know what questions to ask :rolleyes:

Does anyone have some helpful tips, ideas, suggestions, cautions, etc? It's our first cruise (YAY) and my first time in southern Florida.

Thanks so much!

:)

Stay at the Holiday Inn on Biscayne Blvd across the street from the Bayside which is a huge outdoor mall with restaurants bars boutiques etc. It is a real nice area, we stayed this last year and we are going to stay there this coming Saturday as we await our voyage on Freedom of the Seas RCCL the largest cruise ship in the world.:D

First I have to say that these message boards are awesome, I've learned so much!

We're going on the Majesty from 9/18-9/22 and then plan on staying in Miami 9/22 and fly home late on 9/23. Our ship is supposed to dock back in Miami at 8:30 am, so I assume we'll have the whole day on 9/22 and the whole day on 9/23.

I'm having a heck of a time deciding where to stay and what to do. I want to visit South Beach just because it's South Beach...and I love the beach. :D But I don't know if I want to stay at a hotel in South Beach, or if I want to stay downtown (like the Intercontinental) and take a taxi to South Beach for a day at the beach and walking around the area and then going back to the hotel for a more quiet evening...and then spend the other day walking around Bayside. How expensive would a taxi be? Would it be difficult to get a taxi back to the hotel?

*sigh*

I don't know much about Miami, I"m trying to read about it on this site and a few other sites. I don't even know what questions to ask :rolleyes:

Does anyone have some helpful tips, ideas, suggestions, cautions, etc? It's our first cruise (YAY) and my first time in southern Florida.

Thanks so much!

:)

Hi - Since I live in Miami I would like to suggest a few things. The cab ride from downtown to Miami beach is about a 10 minute drive. Not sure in terms of costs since I never take cabs here. I would suggest maybe finding a hotel in North Miami beach, which is nice and quiet and you still get the beautiful beaches and then you can take a cab ride down Collins Ave and be in South Beach within minutes. There are plenty of nice areas to walk around and go eat in North Miami beac. Its a more refined South Beach. Its always nice to be able to have the beach close by and then walk back up to your room.

Unless you are leaving on a cruise I would not suggest staying in Downtown as there really isn't much to do other than Bayside and I personally hate Bayside since the day someone stole my mom's purse and I had to chase these little delinquents down until we caught them and prosecuted them, haven't been back to Bayside since. You may want to stay in Coconut Grove which has Cocowalk (an open door mall) plenty of restaurants and places to walk around. You may want to try the Sonesta Resort in Coconut Grove or the Mayfair suites (a little pricey - But BEAUTIFUL). Its a little further away from the beach as well...probably about a 20 minute ride to the beach.

In Miami - You are much better off renting a car even if its jsut for a day...distances are far sometimes and its more convinient to drive your self than what you will probably spend in cab fare - just my .02.

I suggest trying some Cuban food at either Larios on the Beach or Bongos.

Other than that Miami is all about beach beach and more beach and some restaurants. Make sure to check out Lincoln Road mal (Miami BEach as well) for fine dining and, bars/lounges, and shops. Its a great place to people watch and run into a few celebrties.

Hope this helps.

Archived