Cruise From Hell

darlong

I am fairly new here, but I have seen this heading many times and I always get a little alarmed. I rush to find out what on earth happened. I guess we all define "Cruise/Flight/Vacation from Hell" in different ways.

How do you define it? I am interested because it helps to add context to the various reviews and reports. And this is not a request for some passive aggressive rant, just intellectual interest.

My definition of Cruise from Hell?

A sick ship, unable to stop at port. Crew mutiny/strike. Hostages. Violence.

Serious injury/illness. Death. Natural Disaster.

On my recent cruise I thought about those people who were on ships when 9/11 struck. The panic, the horror, everyone desperate for info and contact with loved ones...see that would be the cruise from hell for me.

Burned toast, broken hair dryers and empty juice machines? Just don't measure up on the disaster scale in my opinion.

Maybe I have a warped view of things. 8 years ago on a holiday to the Middle East DH and I were "detained" at gunpoint in Jordan and held for 36 hours without contact with embassy, loved ones etc. At one point I was staring down the muzzle of a machine gun aimed at me as orders were barked. I did not know if I would ever see Canada again. Obviously they realised their error and we got put back on a plane out of there...now see? THAT was a trip from hell...for me at least. YMMV. : )

Hi Darlong

I agree that 'Cruise from Hell' seems too strong a phrase to describe the reviews I have read here recently.

I think some of the trips I have seen described lately could be better described as 'Big Disappointment', 'Big waste of Vacation Time and Money' or even ( and I know this is strong but I think it fits the mood of some cruisers who have posted here recently) 'Ripped off by NCL'.

To qualify as a 'cruise from hell' for me it would have to involve some real danger or fear, for example really rough seas, damaged ship ( I mean seriously damaged not the juice machines don't work), ship epidemic or terrorist threat.

That doesn't mean I would not be upset about poor service, bad food, long waits, and the absence of expected programs but wouldn't label them 'cruise from hell'.

In many cases I think the things that would make a 'cruise from hell' for me are largely outside of the cruiseline's control but many of those that make for a 'big disappointment' are things that could be influenced or corrected by the line. To me it makes more sense to complain about those.

Just my opinion.

Darlong-

Thanks for putting things in perspective! I run a large supermarket and deal with petty gripes all day long. It's all I can do to not scream- you have a huge cartfull of affordable food, you drove here in a nice vehicle, and you have a nice place to live. There is probably zero chance you will be attacked by a car bomber or have your loved ones killed in the streets today. And you're upset because your celery isn't crisp enough?!

I have enjoyed reading the posts from last weeks cruisers on the Dawn,Sun, and even poor little Pride of Aloha. They managed to have a great time, even if the toast was moved or they waited 10 minutes to have a fabulous meal.

Thanks for letting me vent--it's been quite the day at work!

When ever I see the title 'cruise from hell' I know right away it is more likely that these are the passengers from hell. LOL

Some people nit pick and make mountains out of molehills.

A sick ship ~ definately can make a cruise a horrible experience.. but for other things you need to roll with the punches and overcome/solve the problems locally.. not just wait till you come back to complain about them.

I was a travel agent for 12 years, I think I have heard it all.

I, too, agree that the term "cruise from hell" is often used when it's really a gross exaggeration of the actual circumstances. For me, it's a red flag that the poster's credibility is suspect. When the review is filled with black and white absolutes, I tune it out. While it's certainly not impossible that a cruise was intolerably bad, I think it's highly unlikely. It's more likely that the poster allowed a bad situation or two color his entire experience.

Hi Darlong,

A cruise from hell for me would have to involve either a sick ship or a hurricane! Have to admit tho, that I really do enjoy reading what people write about when they return. All of it. Even the petty stuff. You can hear about the biggies on the news, but a really mad cruiser will tell you everything that happened that led to their own cruise from hell. Actually, it is quite educational. Makes you stop and think about how you can make your own cruise better or how you might handle the situations which caused their irritation. And, I do not know how to make my smiley icon work yet...so :).

Very good point. I WAS on a ship 9/11:eek: . We had just arrived in St. Thomas on Celebrity. I can't even begin to explain the horrible things that went through our minds. Even this was not a "cruise from hell".

It was handled with utmost grace and professionalism by the Captain and staff and we were not concerned for our safety (at least until we were to go home) while on the ship.

They cancellled our last stop in the Bahamas which they said was due to

mechanical difficulties, but none of us believed it. We were issued a credit for the inconvenience.

My husband and I were even invited to the Captains table on 9/13! :D

Flying home was not nearly as enjoyable.

Very good post/thread whatever we're "supposed" to call them these days.

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

We were sailing the inside passage in Alaska on 9/11 and awoke to an announcement by the captain... turning on the tv in time to see the second plane hit the second tower... I could go into details... but it wasn't the cruise from hell... it was, from then on, a cruise with the kindest and the best people on Earth!! Everyone... and I do mean everyone was more helpful, more understanding, more comforting than any group of strangers who were now close friends -- A few examples... those of us who spent hours sending emails to friends at home... who called relatives and friends to make sure they were safe... because the phone lines were jammed... and then delivering the emails. Strangers comforting people who knew people. Cruisers comforting staff from all over the world, who were as shocked and horrified as we were. The cruise line (we were on Royal Caribbean, the Radiance) working many, many, many overtime hours helping with communications. The Officer that helped my husband contact his Command, as he was on leave from the USCG and worried he would need to report. I could go on and on... Our cruise wasn't ruined... it was enhanced by the kindness of strangers.... It didn't end when we got off the ship in Canada... as our table mates were stuck there, needing to get home to their small children, the National Rental Car girl found us a larger vehicle so we could take them and all the luggage back to Seattle.

Disasters... I sailed through a hurricane in the North Atlantic 2 years ago... It was a wonderful cruise...

We've had great cruises and good cruises... but a horrible or "cruise from hell"... nope... but some people on the ships may have thought so...

There is nothing... and I mean nothing that can ruin a cruise for me.... It is all in the attitude...

And... any day above ground is a good day!

Happy sailings...

Thanks all for the outlook refresher from everyone. we have only taken one cruise years ago and the kids want to go with us this time...we have read reports about the ship we're thinking about(the Sea) that it's older,small etc.

Can we afford the top of the line cabins..no

Can we afford the most exotic locations..no

Are we going with our kids who are almost grown and leaving the nest soon so they won't be able to vacation due to college,work etc.....yes...\

they are excited about going with us,so I'm going to make it happen and we will roll with whatever we're dealt...it's all in the attitude....teacup

I'm glad each of you had the benefit of a kind and sensitive crew when you were faced with such a tragedy. I was thinking about how you go on a cruise investing your money and precious time off and hoping for a restful, exciting, wonderful holiday...and in your case the bottom dropped out of our reality. Instead of wondering whether to eat at the buffet or what the drink special is today you were faced with the horrors doubts, uncertainty and worry. So the cruise would not be anything like you had anticipated...yet you still saw the positive side in the comfort and care you experienced. Perhaps some of us deal with alterations to our plans, unmet expectations or even just the unexpected better than others. I'm learning a lot from reading your replies. Thanks. : )

Ditto Romy and LindaO- We boarded the Saga Rose in Dover on 9/11 for a Baltic cruise. 56 Americans arrived in their cabins to watch the towers collapse on CNN. However, it was hardly a cruise from hell. The mostly British passengers could not have been more empathetic to the Americans on board. The ship allowed us unlimited E-mail back home. The crew went out of their way to obtain the status of a relative who worked at the World Trade Center- they confirmed she was safe. The Captain held a moving Memorial Service on Friday, Sept. 14th attended by almost all the passengers and crew. It concluded with the entire ensemble singing the Star Spangled Banner. All the Brits were truly great. The most difficult part of the trip was when we returned to London and I purchased a newspaper which had two full pages of photos of all the 343 firefighters who died at the world Trade Center. As a retired member of FDNY, that was hell. If we had to be on a cruise on 9/11, we couldn't have been in better company.

Yes, I agree completely. We were on the Diamond Princess when it crashed in Alaska and we missed our flight home and encountered plenty of little problems along the way stemming from the accident. It was still one of our best vacations ever!!!!!!!

Darlong, it just makes me feel good when I read something that reflects the way we should all try and look at things. WHoever said the "Cruise from Hell" is probably the cruiser from Hell is about right. On the Sun about 3 years ago we were in front of a young lady about 70 I would guess. It was the first day, many of us were waiting in the buffet line which was not long, but there were about 5 or so in front of us. First she gripped about the wait, then, when my daughter informed her there was a line at the other side she wanted us to save her place while she checked out the length of the line: her husband choose to go to the dining room, but she was afraid the service might not be good. The next day we saw her in the dining room at breakfast time giving the waitress a tough time. Later she complained about the kids splashing in the pool (they were having a wonderful time) At one point I heard her complain about the awful experience this cruise had been. You get the picture. That was the cruiser from HELL> You might know she was a lattitude member and won the grand door prize at the lattitude party. LOL

NMNita

Hello everyone!

I am new to this site and wanted you all to know that I just returned from a great cruise to Alaska aboard the NCL Star. I was annoyed by some of the complaints that I have heard and read so I wrote a little review entitled "The cruise critic critic" I hope that it puts things in perspective.

Here is the link to the review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=5379

Please email me and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Gadget

I so enjoyed Gadget's review. I was on the Dawn 6/20 and was traveling with my husband's family and some members are very much like the first paragraph of Gadget's review.

My oldest son has Asperger Syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum. When things don't go according to his pre-concieved ideas (and usually grossly unrealistic) of how things should be to him then we get the "...from hell" reaction from him. Rolling with things is unheard of in his world. If he wants a certain food or juice and they are out, there's no plan b his day is ruined. Nothing was ever good enough or right for him (although with alot of occupational therapy he is getting much more tolerant of things around him).

People with that "from hell" attitude can't ruin my day or my opinion of my cruise. Life is fulled with bumps (I live with many daily bumps) and you can't get upset over everything. I read some Dawn reviews for the same week I was on it and couldn't believe I was on the same ship as they were. And I was personally with some passengers from hell and that didn't ruin my trip!

Leenie

OMG - I should have read Gadget's review before I posted. Got a good laugh. Sad point is that I have read this type of review from others who were serious.

Archived