NCL 1st Timer - Dawn Questions

dizzykat

Hi,

I will be cruising NCL Dawn on 11/5/06. I am new to NCL and have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

1. Which nights will be the formal nights on this cruise? I first assumed it would be the 2 sea days, but then noticed our second sea day is our last night. Anyone know?

2. Private Island - are there umbrellas (free or rental?) or shaded areas on the beach?

3. I haven't been able to find much info on the port of Freeport. Anyone know if there are resorts there where you can buy a day pass to use their pools/faciities, etc?

Right now I am travelling in a group of 7 with the possiblity of adding 2 more. How difficult will it be to get a table for 9 if you just show up at one of (free) dining rooms? How far in advance can you make reservations? I know we want to try a few of the specialty resturants and will attempt to make those reservations on the 1st day. Can you see the menus for the regular dining rooms in advance so that you'd know which night you might want to go somewhere else?

Thanks for any and all help.

Kathy

Hi,

I will be cruising NCL Dawn on 11/5/06. I am new to NCL and have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

1. Which nights will be the formal nights on this cruise? I first assumed it would be the 2 sea days, but then noticed our second sea day is our last night. Anyone know?

2. Private Island - are there umbrellas (free or rental?) or shaded areas on the beach?

3. I haven't been able to find much info on the port of Freeport. Anyone know if there are resorts there where you can buy a day pass to use their pools/faciities, etc?

Right now I am travelling in a group of 7 with the possiblity of adding 2 more. How difficult will it be to get a table for 9 if you just show up at one of (free) dining rooms? How far in advance can you make reservations? I know we want to try a few of the specialty resturants and will attempt to make those reservations on the 1st day. Can you see the menus for the regular dining rooms in advance so that you'd know which night you might want to go somewhere else?

Thanks for any and all help.

Kathy

Ok just got off the dawn

1. the optinal formal nights are the first day at sea and the second to last night (lobster night)

2. On the private island some chirs have an umbrella but you really really need to be on the first tender as those are the first to go BUT there are plenty of shady spots on the island.

3. i can help you with because we did not go to freeport

and 4 If you go see the maitre'd of one of the main restuants the evry first night he/she can help you with reserving tables for your large group in the main dinning room i hoped htis helped a little

All formal nights are OPTIONAL in all dining rooms on NCL. You do not have to dress up unless you want to. Only about 40% of the passengers dress up and that ranges from tuxes to shirt and tie. The rest of the passengers will be in resort casual. (even less dress up on the second formal night.) The joy of Freestyle: to dress up or not dress up....your choice! (resort casual = polo shirt, dockers, kahkis, sundress, etc. No jeans or shorts.)

On the Dawn in June, the first sea day (Sunday) and Thursday were our optional formals.

There are only a few tables for more than 8 in Venetian, none in Impressions but Aqua has several areas for large groups. Many times, especially in Impressions, they would seat us at two tables beside each other which was good because we had different waiters and therefore quicker and better service than when we all sat togehter. (we were a party of 12)

The main restaurants will only take reservations for large parties (7 or more) and you can do that anytime. The main restaurants will only take large party reservations for 5:30, 5:45, 6:00 or after 8:30. They will not take large party reservations during the peak dining hours of 6:15-8:15. The specialty restaurants will take large party reservations for anytime as long as they have space.

We were not able to see the menus for the main restaurants ahead of time and it caused us to miss a good dinner in one of the main restaurants because we had specialty reservations.

As far as the specialty restaurants, Salsa and LaTrattatoria are free but require reservations. I love LaTrattatoria! I also highly reccommend Cagney's Steak House. Best food of the week and best service. (Ask for Sonny, the Maitre'd in Cagney's, he is the BEST!) Go to Cagney's the first night, not very crowded, and sometimes they have two for one specials on cover charge. Talk to Sonny and see if he can help you with your reservations for the week, he did for us!!

Thanks for all the info everyone! Much appreciated. Just a few more questions...

Are Salsa and La Trattoria open for lunch? Every day or only on sea days? Reservations required for lunch?

What is open for lunch onboard while at Great Stirrup Cay? (just in case we don't stay for the barbeque lunch)

Thanks again.

Kathy

Are Salsa and La Trattoria open for lunch? Every day or only on sea days? Reservations required for lunch?

What is open for lunch onboard while at Great Stirrup Cay? (just in case we don't stay for the barbeque lunch)

On the 7/15/06 Dawn sailing, Salsa and La Trattoria were never open for lunch. On the sea days, they did open the sushi section of Bamboo for lunch for the $10 all-you-can-eat deal.

When we were at GSC, the Garden Cafe buffet and the Bimini Grill were open onboard. No sit-down lunch at the Venetian that day.

Archived