Anyone ever go to the Florida Aquarium in Tampa?

crazycruzer68

It is a good aquarium and right next door to the cruise terminal. I have been several times. It used to be that if you are a member of your local zoo that you got in free to the aquarium, I am not sure if this still applies as it has been about 4 years since I have been using my zoo card. You can drop off your luggage with the porters and then go to the aquarium until it is time to board.

I don't know if this will help, but I lived in the Tampa Bay area for 43 years before moving to Arizona last year. We went once for an office party. Compared to the aquariums in Arizona it's great. But personally, I wasn't impressed. After being to Sea World so many times, it was very small in comparison and did not have the "entertainment value". However, if you are one to get into the "science" of it and want to study the different species, you may like it. I'd compare it to the Atlantis hotel aquarium - only about 1/5 the size. It may have changed since then, but I never had the desire to go back.

I would recommend Busch Gardens if you've never been. You can get the animals and the rides and shows there. Also, you can google if Ybor City has any festivals going on the weekend you'll be there. It's always fun, but does get quite rowdy at night - make sure you are with a group or stay in populated areas.

MOSI, the Museum of Science and Industry is a large, hands on museum. They also have an IMAX there. My son and I have been there 4-5 times over the years and have always enjoyed it.

If you've never been to an aquarium, that may be a good choice for something different. Otherwise I'd opt for something else.

Holly

You didn't mention if this was before the cruise or after and if you would have a car or not (which you would need to go to Busch Gardens). If this is for after your cruise, you will need more than a few hours if you decided to go to Busch Gardens to be worth while. You probably wouldn't get to do to much there since most time is spent waiting in lines for the rides.

The aquarium is nice and a good way to kill some time.

I also looked into going to the acquarium, after the cruise. It seems like a good place to go after the cruise, for a few hours, before getting to the airport for the afternoon flight. It is also convenient as it is just right by the cruise port, so it won't require extra transportation.

AAA members also get $1/p discount.

You might want to call the aquarium and see if you can store your bags there while you walk around. I'm not sure if you can store your bags at the pier - someone else might know that answer.

We had a late flight out of Tampa after our cruise in February. We walked across the street from the cruise teminal to the aquarium. They will check your bags right inside, no problem.

We walked the whole aquarium twice, had lunch, then took the eco tour, where you may see dolphins. We were cold and stayed inside the boat. We saw 2 dolphins from a distance.

Basically, the aquarium and eco tour were not enough to fill the wait. Then there were no taxis around when it was time to leave for the airport, but the aquarium people called one for us.

We walked across the street from the cruise teminal to the aquarium. They will check your bags right inside, no problem.

Here is the web site to the aquarium: http://www.flaquarium.org/index.html

I would call them to make sure that they still hold bags. It used to be on their website, but I can't find it now. We really enjoyed the aquarium, spent about five to six hours there. If they store your bags, maybe you could also take a trolley to Ybor City and back, before heading to the airport.

As we were getting off the ship and making our way through the port building, there was a sign that they could check your baggage if you had a later flight. Did not apply to us, so I don't know $$$, times or rules. sorry.

happy trip!

The taxi to the airport was about $20. We ended up sharing a van with another couple.

The Eco Tour takes you out looking for dolphins and they tell you things about the area and what you are seeing. It's a nice boat, but it was very chilly out on the water with only a sweatshirt and shorts.

If you go to the aquarium's website, you can find out about the costs. We bought a package that had aquarium entrance & Eco tour.

Archived